• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upset about another edition!

S

Sunseeker

Ya know, my dad used to do model railways. You have no idea about expensive. Go to a train hobby shop and try to buy 1 decent engine.

Relatively speaking, d&d is probably one of the cheapest hobbies out there. All things considered 4e cost me a couple of hundred dollars over a 3year period...CHUMP CHANGE!

Conclusion...not worried at all

As a model railway enthusiast myself, I whole-heartedly agree. Even the smallest sets(Z or N scale) will run you upwards of 150 a set. And that provides you with comparably about as much content as half of a PHB, one train, one loop, a few minis(sometimes). You get into the bigger scales and you can double, triple, and quadruple that price.

While I've invested probably a good couple hundred in D&D products, I'm not terribly worried about the costs of a new edition.

Hey at least it's not a USA Trains 4-8-8-4 Big Boy(go ahead, google it), take a look at that and tell my D&D is expensive.

Mattachine

Adventurer
Also, you went all-in, buying multiple books. The necessary books come to about $100, less if you bought them used on Amazon.

On another note, when the new edition comes out, there will likely be a fire sale on the 4e books.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think that's a bit of a supposition - do you have a quote from someone who should be in the know indicating this?

Historically, D&D doesn't generally even merit specific mention in Hasbro's financial reports to shareholders. From what we've been told, collectible card games bring in far more money than D&D. So, while Hasbro cares about how WotC does, as a general division, there's reason to think they don't care much about the performance of D&D, specifically.

It is a supposition, but it's probably fairly valid.

I've worked in enough different companies over the years to know that areas that do not perform well enough might not get dropped or sold off (depending on how much they are needed, and need can be brand name), but they can often be downsized or given fewer resources, and are carefully financially scrutinized, just like every other portion of companies.

It's a bit naive to think that Hasbro executives do not know exactly how well and what the D&D arm of the company is doing, and that those executives do not desire that D&D remain the number one RPG out there. Name brand is important to maintain, but sometimes it's not financially feasible. In this case though, it's obvious that new money is being spent (or at least being diverted) and Hasbro is doing that for a reason.

5E shouts to me that with the recent recession and slow recovery, WotC and Hasbro by extension is looking to refill the coffers and to establish market dominance wherever they can.

A hot new product sells for a short period of time. A hot new line of products sells for a much longer period of time. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of other new lines of products from Hasbro. Economists will tell you that the best time to retool and redesign is during slow economic times so that when the economy does recover, your company can be first to market with something new and sexy and desired by the public, and can by extension get a larger share of a larger market.

Is_907

First Post
How many hours a month do you game with that $200 investment?
The ROI on a set of RPG books is quite high, for me.

Recently I purchased the Savage Worlds Deluxe book--that was, about, $40 (can't recall after store discount.) I've played two games totaling up to about 10-12 hours. I've also enjoyed reading through the book, so add another two or three.

$40 for 15 hours of quality entertainment and I KNOW I'll get at least 4-6 hours a month of gameplay using that book. ROI is quite high.

You spent $200 on 4e books? Excellent. Do you play weekly? If so, you're practically breaking even on that investment, in my opinion.

As others have mentioned, the RPG hobby is one that provides countless hours of quality fun. It's all about how much you value your entertainment budget.

malkav666

First Post
Well for those of us that didn't really get off on 4e its been 12 years (longer for those that didn't get off on 3e either) since there was a version of D&D that we really wanted to play fresh and shiny off the press. I am not trying to knock 4e or fans of 4e, but a lot of folks did not like 4e and voted with their wallets to make it go away. And now that it is in fact going away, sooner rather than later, upset does not accurately describe me. I am very interested in 5e. I hope its a good game that makes me want fling d20's into the early morn'. For a lot of us, its time for a new shot at D&D.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think the 4e folks will get a good bit of support from the folks over at WOTC. It does not seem that ignoring/abandoning the die hard fans and current edition paying customers so you can try and make a game for some other market segment you would also like to make your customers seems like a very good idea. Oh wait...

In all seriousness though if you already dropped your cash they cannot take your books from you if you don't board the new 5e cashboat. They can however take away all your digital bits that are serverside at WOTC. But I don't even think they will do that. As long as you are willing to keep paying that subscription I am pretty sure they will leave it up. Thats a very great revenue stream for them at this point.

So don't be upset, hobbies are for relieving stress, not for causing it. Just play games and smile.

love,

malkav

Serendipity

Explorer
To the OP - on the plus side you've probably got well over a year before 5e even comes out; which should be plenty of time to catch up on the 4e books you've missed.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Another point. I feel like 4E, as far as rules material goes, has run it's course. They put out a metric ton of player material, more than you'll ever use, in the first few years alone. There are thee Player's Handbooks, and at least one book for each power source. Then the planar books.

Add in several monster books and several settings, plus DDI has plenty of adventure material.

Not that more isn't better, because it is, but 4E die-hards still have plenty of gaming ahead of them without exhausting their resources.

Still, all of that said, I think it would be really great if we, as D&D players, could all congregate around a single system.

So, what I'm really saying is this: You don't have to switch to 5E and buy new books, but if it turns out to be a really good system, I hope you do so. Don't let your irritation be the deciding factor, but instead focus on what you think will be the most fun for you and your group.

Roland55

First Post
I realize 4th edition has been out for about 5 years, but i just recently got into 4th edition and spent over $200 on all the books needed for 4th edition. Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get. If wizards thinks I am going to shell out another $200 for new books, they have another thing coming!
I would like to get everyones opinion on this?

I understand your position and, in the Clintonian sentiment, I feel your pain.

However, I am now used to this railroad train.

I'll keep my hand in, participate in the play-tests, and discover what this new edition is all about.

If I like it, I'll feed the beast and enjoy the benefits.

If not, I have other places to be, other things to do.:)

nedjer

Adventurer
Personally I'd be a bit hacked-off if money went on Photoshop for the next version to appear a week later. One way to ease the arrival of 5e would have been to play like Windows, i.e. if you bought after a certain date you get a discount on the upgrade. Bit hard to do after the event, but there's always next time.

Personally I'd be a bit hacked-off if money went on Photoshop for the next version to appear a week later. One way to ease the arrival of 5e would have been to play like Windows, i.e. if you bought after a certain date you get a discount on the upgrade. Bit hard to do after the event, but there's always next time.
On the other hand, has there been a release date set for 5E? It'll likely be, what? Next YEAR before we see it on a shelf? 6 months? And again, the fact that a new edition is on the way - even if it's NEXT month - that should not prevent anyone from getting every dimes worth out of what they HAVE. Even moreso when NOBODY can accurately say they like 5E - because even having liked your partication in a playtest doesn't mean that a year from now it'll turn out to still be all that and the chips.

Not saying people don't have a right to express concerns. I just get a bit tired of the hyperbole regarding new editions and players who want to be victims.

Remove ads