• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urn Your Pay (Rae judging)

covaithe

Explorer
"Yesss, and your accent ees reedeeculous," agrees Apikotoa. "The hairy one says that you seek ashes on a heel. What ees that to me, that you come and speak to me?"

[sblock=ooc]I got your draconic right here! 'course, Gildrim seems to be nearly unintelligible even in draconic, so that's less helpful than it could have been...
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Whit? Again? But Ah speak classical Draconic!" Gildrim considers. "Weel, I daursay that's th' problem wi' havin' lips, an' a tongue that isnae split doon th' middle."

Gildrim scratches at his beard. "Ah suppose we're askin' fur leave tae gae traipsin' throu yer lands - or watters as th' case micht be. Oot ay politeness, ye micht say, an' acause th' fower ay us widnae want tae run intae ony unexpectit trouble."

Halford

First Post
"Pleased to meet ye Apikotoa! Like Sister Anemone said I'm Erf, and this is my friend Fenenn. Gildrim's right we didn't want to go through your lands without asking for permission - wouldn't be respectful. I also hope we can learn from you, if you are willin', since we can't hope to have the same intimate understanding of these lands as you and your people."

Erf casually scratches Fenenn behind the ears as he speaks.

"We seek these ashes as Gildrim says, and thought that your people might help us locate them. Of course we'd be willin' to discuss what we might do for ye in turn."

covaithe

Explorer
Apikotoa considers. "Last time dryfolk wandered our lands, he got heemself keeled, and men came and burned one of our veelages. Now no dryfolk come, but for thees servant of the water goddess. Eef you die, who weel come, and what weel they burn?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"Och, naw. Ye needn't hae ony worries aboot that. We didnae mak' oorsels sae popular in toun. They'd niver notice we were missin'," Gildrim assures the lizardfolk.

"But we dae hae a wee word ay warnin'. Young Cyian haur, wi' a... a cunnin' strategem, he leart that thaur's still some in Cragger's Rest wha wad like nothin' better than tae stairt up wi' th' burnin' again. A verra few. Mebbe anely th' ane, wi' whitever hotheids he kin rowst up. But thaur's ithers wha ur sairy thaur's nae langer trade atween Cragger's Rest an' th' lizardfowk. Sae th' toun's split, uneven. Belike ye hae mair friends, aw fewer enemies, thaur than ye micht think."

Gildrim leans over to whisper to Erf. "Dae ye think he kin unnerstaun' mah accent, aw shuid Ah gae back tae Draconic?"

"Lauth irlym tuor aryte, throden thurirl tuor noach," he concludes.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=trouvere]I've been treating Gildrim's accent as just fluff, not having any real affect on NPCs' ability to understand him, since I didn't think it was fair to give you a mechanical penalty for good roleplaying. But that last comment makes it sound like you're looking for the accent to have a bit more in-game impact. Would you rather have me make int checks on occasion for NPCs to understand Gildrim? Or was that comment just a dig at me for not carrying on this whole conversation in draconic? :) [/sblock]

Halford

First Post
Erf shrugs,

"I think Apikotoa here will let ye know if he doesn't understand ye Gildrim."

Turning back to the lizardman he says,

"No danger of folks followin' us Apikotoa, we're outsiders here. It's be great if we could help make ye and the villagers pals again 'n such, but it depends what ye all want."

[Sblock=OOC] BTW due to tweaking in hopes of approval Erf now speaks Dwarven, hurray![/Sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Sister Anemone's eyebrows rise in curiosity at Gildrim's not-quite-explanation of the previous night's events, but she does not comment.

Apikotoa tilts his head thoughtfully. "Eet would be a goodness, to trade again weeth the dryfolk, but... not at the cost of our safety. Eef the fools and hotheads come burneeng and keeleeng whenever one of them falls eento a gator hole, I do not see what can be done. Eef they weel not trust us, eet does not matter eef we trust them. Steel, I weel take your words to our elders. Perhaps they weel see a way where I cannot. As for your ashes... You ask permeession to travel een our lands, wheech shows respect. For thees, and for the sake of the servant of the Water Goddess, I weel geeve you permeession. Not that we would have stopped you, anyway, unless you came too close to one of our veelages. As for the matter of asseestance, that you must purchase. What do you offer, in exchange for my help?"

Halford

First Post
"Well we could take care of any trading you wanted to do with the village folks without any danger to ye or yours - though it would be a one time thing. Or if you have any quests that need undertaking we could undertake them for you because we're adventurers! 'N if ye have any suggestions we'd certainly consider them."

Erf replies grinning broadly.

"I like you Apikotoa ye're alright! Sad that folks cannot see past their predjuices sometimes."

covaithe

Explorer
"Well we could take care of any trading you wanted to do with the village folks without any danger to ye or yours - though it would be a one time thing. Or if you have any quests that need undertaking we could undertake them for you because we're adventurers! 'N if ye have any suggestions we'd certainly consider them."

Apikotoa studies Erf for a moment in appraisal. "We have no need of adventurers at thees time, but your offer to trade on our behalf ees eenteresteeng. How would you go about getteeng us these items?" He rattles off a list of items he wants, including:
  • 2 steel tridents
  • 10 spears
  • 10 daggers
  • 5 shortbows
  • 500 arrows
  • 10 cooking pots of various sizes
  • 10 shovels
  • 20 whetstones
  • 50 fishhooks
  • 100 pounds of wheat
  • 5 pounds of cinnamon
  • 5 pounds of pepper

"Eef you can breeng us these theengs, we weel pay you well een furs and hides, wheech are valuable to dryfolk but common to us. Also, I weel show you to the heels een our swamp, by the safe paths. There are not many."

[sblock=ooc]I'll be away from computers most of this weekend, so I probably won't update again until Sunday."[/sblock]

Remove ads