• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Use a power to gain a power (Scan the Field / Strategic Strike )

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Too Bard.
I thought of that... but its kind of generic term in my head. Nor am I finding good synonyms even with this highly versatile language we are communicating in.

Oh and its definitely a huge number of power options just matching the wizard at high levels and Warlords have a lot of distinct ones. I think one would have to get very used to that much.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I mean he can have a book of strategy in fact I put that in Character Builder as a Separate thing from his Repertoire, but the book is just where he stores that repertoire for training and to aid rehearsal and so on. I suppose I could limit this to the Controller Warlord

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That Thibault Fighter having a Catalog of Diagrams and notations regarding techniques makes sense as much as the Warlord with his Book of Strategies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One possible benefit for this kind of thing would be that it might entice "daily hoarders" to actually use those higher oomf abilities. It also means you might end up seeing and trying different gambits than your "standard".

Unwise

Adventurer
I would not let people get encounter powers back. One of my complaints with 4e was that every encounter ended up much the same. We had a few powers that massively shaped the battlefield situation and they would be used every time. The avenger would always teleport to the guy at the back, the wizard would always make an illusionary pit in front of the ranged PCs, you could predict the entire fight from the first roll sometimes. The last thing I would want to see is more of that.

That being said, I really like the idea. Why not make it allow you to swap out one of your encounter powers for a different one? You read the battlefield and decide that you really need some archery support, so you swap out your unused melee encounter attack for one that aids you and your comrades in archery. You might find you need a charge, a heal, an escape manauver, something to lock down movement etc. Giving up an action is a pretty serious penalty for not having prepared the right powers for the fight. I can think of a lot of instances where it would be very worth it though, particularly for controllers and leaders. If you wanted to be kind, you could say that on their next round they get to roll twice and take the better result for their use of the new power.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would not let people get encounter powers back.
The current idea is to not allow reuse the same one they already have focused... ie you are trading action economy loss to enable using another different more effective one only delayed which is also sort of a cost.

That being said, I really like the idea. Why not make it allow you to swap out one of your encounter powers for a different one? You read the battlefield and decide that you really need some archery support, so you swap out your unused melee encounter attack for one that aids you and your comrades in archery. You might find you need a charge, a heal, an escape manauver, something to lock down movement etc. Giving up an action is a pretty serious penalty for not having prepared the right powers for the fight. I can think of a lot of instances where it would be very worth it though, particularly for controllers and leaders.

The idea did pop up originally on the Warlord.

If you wanted to be kind, you could say that on their next round they get to roll twice and take the better result for their use of the new power.
i am not requiring the loss of an unused one ... just a different one than they had in mind ... so no that last bit I think is not needed.

But someone might prefer that benefit because that is very nice.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I might even define an inspired strike as [W] + Int/Cha/Wis Mod to encourage secondary attributes even more and make sure things that benefit basic attacks arent stacked on it then ye essentials classes do not have to be singled out. And except for someone going with balanced secondaries or someone multi-classing its weak. Hmmm wondering if this would make it too nice for multi-classers LOL

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am thinking that Strategically placed strike is an sort of an at-will that is ie triggered by the use of the Inspiring strike or Scanning the field exploits . I am now wondering If those abilities were combined like a monks ahem martial discipline it would be either move your speed or perform the attack as defined with an effect of recover an encounter power or trigger the use of strategically placed strike. Could call it Tactical Re-adjustment.

Last edited:

Remove ads