D&D 3E/3.5 Use Magic Device (3.5)

wujenta

First Post
I got the 3.5 last week and read throght it this weekend to play sunday afternoon. I realized that now use magic device does not have the limit of 10 ranks ! That make the skill a lot more powerful than before in my opinion. A med-high level rogue or bard with a cha of 16-18 would use almost any device in the game. I have a 16 level bard with a charisma score of 22 and only used that skill for reading scrolls and the easy things. Now I will be able to use almost everythin (19 skils plus 6 cha i will get a 25). What do you thing about this change ?

Zogg

First Post
hee hee. Funny thread - and since it's almost done I'd like to hijack it a bit. Simple question, really.

Can rogues use UMD to read (and use) divine scrolls? I don't really see anything about this in the rules, so I assume the answer is yes, but it seems like there should be some kind of special rules regarding this.

Dimwhit

Explorer
Sorry, I checked it and realized that it was a house rule that our gamemaster imposed us.

??? Ouch! Your gamemaster is really harsh!

Can rogues use UMD to read (and use) divine scrolls?

Yep. Arcane, divine, I don't think it matters. That makes the Rogue a great backup healer. Every Rogue should have a Wand of Cure XXX. Well, once they're high-enough level to have a good shot at it, and assuming they care enough about the party to want to heal them. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
And since Use Magic Device is no longer an exclusive skill, anyone can take it! Once you get to high enouch levels, if people continue to suck the healing out of the Cleric, eventually the Cleric can respond "And you didn't buy your own wand to do this because....?"

Dimwhit

Explorer
And since Use Magic Device is no longer an exclusive skill, anyone can take it! Once you get to high enouch levels, if people continue to suck the healing out of the Cleric, eventually the Cleric can respond "And you didn't buy your own wand to do this because....?"

True, although the max rank on cross-class skills, combined with the high DCs, will require those classes to be very high level before they can be effective.

But that's one reason why I favor keep exclusive skills. I think it takes away some of the Rogue's thunder when everyone has a chance at using UMD. Some things should be the exclusive domain of certain classes, IMHO.

Remove ads