Use Magic Device????????????????

sineater

First Post
Ok explain this in plain english to me so I can understand how this works. :confused:

I have a 6th level rogue, with a wand of levitate. I have use magic device at 8.

So what are my chances of using this?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
sineater said:
Ok explain this in plain english to me so I can understand how this works. :confused:

I have a 6th level rogue, with a wand of levitate. I have use magic device at 8.

So what are my chances of using this?

Every time you want to use that wand to cast Levitate, you have to roll a Use Magic Device check against a DC of 20 (per the chart on page 75 of the PHB, since you are attempting to emulate a spell ability). If you meet or beat the DC, you use the wand with no problems.

So basically, you have to roll a 12 or better in order to use the wand. That's a 45% chance.

(And do you really need sixteen question marks in the subject line...? :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Does that work the same for scrolls also?
Yes it does. You must decipher the spell on the scroll first, though. The DC is 25 + spell level.

Also, when you roll your skill check to cast the spell from the scroll, your effective caster level is your skill check result minus 20.

Targos

First Post
Also, if you've used the wand before successfully you get a +2 bonus. (Thats under Activate Blindly pg76)
If you fail by 10 or more theres a mishap. (Misfired or magical backlash)
If you fail by less than 10 you just use a charge.

Remove ads