• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Usefulness of Scarred Land's Hollowfaust

Graf

Explorer
The Hollowfaust love fest continues

Night, ColonelHardisson & co are leaving me with precious little to say...

Deadguy said:

One more quick question though: to what extent is the nature of the city determined by its locale? Is it very tied into its physical location (I note the reference to the volcano)? In other words, how much of it surroundings would I really need to port over to avoid changing the place and its history too much?

Port issues should be minimal. The volcano is optional, though you probably should have it near some kind of large rock unless you want to re-do the map. Its built on the site of an older city and part of the charm is that HF itself is smaller than the whole city. Its history is almost completely disconnected from the Divine war (though the refugees need to come from somewhere)
The city has been through several seiges and has magical water supplies, grows its own food inside (mostly vegitarian diet),etc
If anything -too- little was said about the routes to and from HF, road patrols, the relationship with the Hornsaw, etc.

Bagpuss said:
I would say it is pretty portable to any campaign setting where Necromancy is not Evil by default.
I would change the word default to nessessity. It works best where 80% of necromancers are deranged nuts and the players characters would rather trek through a burning desert full of monsters than get near 'the-city-of-the-dead' then they get there and the good characters, who wanted to burn the city on sight, are forced to admit that (compared to the rest of the world) its actually just about the best, most egalitarian, place to live.
If Necromantic magic automatically forces your alignment toward evil it -does- work anyway. It just becomes 'rational' evil and the whole slant changes. (I love this concept but its a seperate post)
Their objections to Undeath were always more practical than ethical. Even their objection to torture and so on have sort of moral practicality that shies away from idealism completely and is brutally practical. Basically, "if you can torture somebody enough they'll say whatever you want. this is counterproductive to our purpose of discovering the truth."
They are scholars obsessed with truth over power and the city works best if you like playing up contradictions.

Nightfall said:
That being said, I imagine the physical effects are very mild, since they probably won't run into any undead inside the Civilian quarter.

The necromancers favor skeletal servants, fully covered in armor (so the creepy parts aren't visible) but they do keep them around to initimidate vistors and troublemakers.

There are Marrow Knights in Drover's plaza and (I believe) skeletal guards outside of the third gate. The risen at the 2nd gate also scared the stuffing out of the PCs (but they had to fight one once). [Its not undead in the techinical sense but made-of-human-parts-and-animated-by-power-psychotic-spirits is kind of what most people mean when they say undead anyway]

And of course after dark all the guards are skeletons who attack people without citizenship tokens on sight.

Deadguy said:

Actually, one thing I forgot to ask (maybe I should just buy and read the thing myself.. but still another's opinion is useful): how much 'adventure' is inherent in the city? By this, I mean how easy is it to run stories that involve just the city and its inhabitants? Some fantasy cities can seem either a little 'sterile' of stories, or be focussed on one particular story. Since I hope my PCs would hang around for a little while, are there plenty of hooks for things that they might do whilst there? (If it matters they are levels 8 through 10).
If you can be creative there's a perfect mix. Given its authoritarian bent there can be lots of "things that fall through the cracks" type stuff. My pcs have
1. Investigated a bunch of murders of poor people (they were the first to notice it and then they gave up and told the authorities)
2. A missing farmer (techinically a non-citizen and thus not of too much interest to the city) outside of the city
3. Traded and wrangled with the necromancers for information and services
4. Got sucked into some religious intrigue

The ghost quarter/sewers allows for a surprising amount of combat.

The one thing that is true is that a lot of this conflict occurs under the watchful eye of the necromancers. Who will happily whip, fine, imprision and then exile you. And there are bunch of crimes for which your body is simply claimed for "research".
If you die your body is the property of the state.
In most fantasy games this will be stressful on the PCs. They will want to leave the city if you have other better choices (in SL this means they are perpetually planing on going to Lokil). Most gamers just aren't interested in following laws in game. Having someone powerful hovering around (or a group of 300 someones and their assorted retainers and servants) watching you and being ready to jump down your throat at the first whiff of impropriety can be un-fun.

In my version of the city the necromancers show up with a lot of serious troups and a bunch of powerful offensive weaponry, troups of guards (and skeletons in full plate), and unfailing bodyguards within a few minutes of any serious conflict.
You could play that angle light though if you wanted to, without really changing too much. The necromancers would work as negiligent landlords without any real changing at al.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Once again, I must join my voice to those that praise Hollowfaust. A, truely wonderful setting, very open, full of possibilities and deeply original. Seriously, I loved it since I saw it.

Deadguy

First Post
Thanks Graf for the extra comments; I appreciate that the setting will take some work, but it sounds worthwhile. Well, I now have the book in my mitts, and I intend to read it closely.

Thanks again to everyone.

Barastrondo

First Post
Credit where Credit Is Due

Nightfall said:
Btw Deadguy, I'd listen to Ethan there. He wrote the darn thing after all!

Actually, not quite. I wrote about a third, maybe a lil' more of the book; Geoff Grabowski was responsible for a lot of the law system and the personalities of the current Guildmasters, as well as plenty of brainstorming on basic logistics, and Chris Campbell set himself to detailing the surrounding area and much of the grunt rules-world — prestige classes, monsters, etc. If it had been all me, you probably could have expected more rules gaffes and a not-quite-so-well-rounded treatment of the setting.

Chris and Geoff deserve mad props as much as me, even if they don't frequent the website to see them.

(Although it does bring a tear to my eye to see the goodwill our morbid little baby has engendered... sniff...)

Graf

Explorer
I AM the Law.

Barastrondo said:

(Although it does bring a tear to my eye to see the goodwill our morbid little baby has engendered... sniff...)

So you'll find some time to continue to contribute (and convince Geoff and Chris to as well)?
In retrospect (after the crunchy police turned out in force some time in early summer/fall) the laws stuff was a pretty gutzy decision btw.... but it made the book.

Most people can think up another shop keeper but when the PCs have done something stupid and you suddenly need to figure out what's going to happen to them it can get a bit heated. Having it laid out in the book in a logical way is a great tool.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Most people can think up another shop keeper but when the PCs have done something stupid and you suddenly need to figure out what's going to happen to them it can get a bit heated.

True, true... when the cleric in my group threw one flame strike too many in our Forgotten Realms campaign, I was glad I could look up the punishment for this... (despite allegedly being LG, he never knew when to stop.)

Now that I have bought Hollowfaust (approximately three hours ago), I am looking forward to how it deals with those issues.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Very STRIGINETLY, trust me Jurgen. Not only will he have the necromancers to deal with BUT he might also get some flak from the local shrines (depending on the god/goddess he serves), BECAUSE they have enough trouble with the Necromancers interfering and they can barely keep worshippers, at least very devout ones. Trouble with a panthestic city, none one wants to place one god above another. Though I'm sure some of the necromancers could care less on occasion, they are cautious. Scarred Lands gods are not to be mocked. At least that my inference.

Deadguy

First Post
Well, I have just finished my first read-through of the book and I just wanted to say: WOW!!

I really want to thank Ethan, Geoff and Chris for producing such an imaginative setting! This is exactly what I am looking for; I think my PCs might well find the allies they need here against the nefarious power of the Cabal (of evil liches)!

I can see what others have commented on though: it is a Lawful city, and PCs will have to tread carefully, else they are going to end up on an Animator's slab to pay off their debt to society. And perhaps I would've liked a little more physical description of the place, but that's just quibbling.

Yup, I think that Hollowfaust is definitely going to form a useful part of my campaign world. I can already feel ideas buzzing about... One thing I am not so sure about. How different would teh city feel if it were several hundred years older than it currently is? I appreciate that it would certainly impact the Grand Masters of the Guilds, but what else would this affect do you think?

Still, good call everyone, well worth the money.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
The city itself would probably be a little bigger. Not much since the Ghost Quarter WOULD still probably be there albeit maybe just a tad smaller.

They would have probably MORE guards on duty, meaning that they could cover each gate a tad better. Probably more inhabitants and maybe a very SMALL but controlled crime element. Other than that and perhaps some citizens that have longer lives than any where else thanks to necromantic advancements, I don't see many other changes. There's no way you can stop the uncontrolled undead in the Ghost Quarter OR eliminate the threat by the Fire Spitters. (Too well organized and they know those lava tunnels well). I'd figure the population would probably be around...45,000 to 55,000 in a hundred years, barring any major catastrophes, wars, or influx of disease.

That's about it.

I am glad you like it. I certainly enjoyed the book and the setting! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads