• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Usefulness of Scarred Land's Hollowfaust

Deadguy

First Post
One slightly trivial question occurs to me: how do people pronounce the name Hollowfaust? is the 'faust' part pronounced as in Dr Faustus ('fowst', to rhyme with cow)? Or do you say 'forst' (to rhyme with forced)?

I know, it doesn't really matter, it's just that I find myself using both interchangeably. I think I prefer the sound of the former (its association with the unfortunate Faustus is just too good). Perhaps the former is what they call themselves, and the latter how outsiders pronounce it? :D

(Curse this growing geekiness! ;) )

Ruined

Explorer
Myself, I go with the Faustus pronunciation. The reference is just begging to be used.

And I'm glad you like the book, Deadguy. It is the supplement that caught my eye at the bookstore, and dragged me kicking and screaming away from my beloved Planescape (for now). And I'm not really complaining. The new Scarred Lands campaign is a lot of fun so far.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hehehe! And they though the Demi-plane of Dread was impossible to escape! ;) *is kidding*

Dead: I pronounce like "Faust" Hollowfaust. Though I have said HollowFAST. I prefer the former myself.

Xarlen

First Post
Yes, Hollowfaust is Definetly a cool book. :) There's sure to be some adventures in there.

Take for instance a Spirit of the PLague (a monster in the Creature Collection), or an Alley Reaper (Another creature in the book). The latter could involve some rich person and dealing with assassins, and whatnot, and definetly a cool RP. :) (The Alley Reaper is the ghost of a killer/assassin who was doublecrossed or died during a job, and thus his spirit continues on).

Lot of cool stuff for the Ghost quarter.

And, I pronounce it as though it rhymed with Floss. Faahh-us-te.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
We need more Spirits of the Plague running around. ;) But seriously great thing about Hollowfaust, you can find a LOT of undead in the Ghost Quarter.

Graf

Explorer
Deadguy said:
And perhaps I would've liked a little more physical description of the place, but that's just quibbling.

How different would teh city feel if it were several hundred years older than it currently is?

Yeah. Hollowfaust is only lacking one thing. A good idea of what the city looks like. I red through the book and basically wound up telling my players "gray" a lot. (my building descriptions are pretty bad though anyway)

The future? A little different I suppose.... Being a vassal state of the 3rd Ghoul Cretas the Necrotic King (along with the Tarnished Valley) and presided over by a coven of dark hags in alliance with Geleeda the Dark would change things a bit I suppose.
Definitely less undead in the Ghost Quarter, most of them have been conscripted into the Rotting Horde currently besieging the remants of Darakeene. What else are they going to do? Burok Torn's been consumed by demonic hordes the Dark Elves summoned in a mass suicide pact after the death of their golem-god, The Ganjus' is a lifeless plain and no one really knows what's going on east of the Gascars (after Chern broke free of his tomb communications on that part of the continent have gotten a touch sparse)....

Voadam

Legend
What is Jakandor

Jakandor was a setting released near the end of 2e.

It is an island with 2 main cultures, one ultra civilized and high magic based and dependant upon zombie labor trying to recover from a magical apocalypse that took out most of its knowledge and people, and an invading barbarian honor culture who find undead an abomination of the highest order. There were 3 books, one from the point of view of the barbarians with little info on the wizards and a map with the barbarian new settlements the only really detailed parts, and one for the necromancer cultures where it is the reverse. The maps each have settlements or cities that are not known on the others so they can be shown to PCs as common knowledge for their culture.

There was a third of just adventures with a complete island map.

The necromancer culture had integrated a philosophy of service to the empire that extended to use of the body after death. They were LN and were very against sentient undead.

They are probably available from www.svgames.com now for about $5 each as pdfs, but I haven't checked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads