D&D 5E Using "Commands" on Familiars and the Like

ECMO3

Hero
It's also a fey spirit that knows it can't be killed. It might be willing to do suicidal commands
Maybe
Whether or not it still feels pain is another matter
It will do suicidal missions because it obeys your commands. Whether it would be suicidal absent a specific command for example to protect you while you are incapacitated or not commanding a certain action is another story.

I personally would rule that the specific verbiage associated with find familiar and commanding the familiar overides even things like suggestion or dominate monster if an adversary were to cast that on a familiar.

Stormonu

Legend
The Steel Defender is slightly smarter than a mastiff. Your dog doesn't generally think you are being attacked when your friend gives you a hug, neither will the Steel Defender.
As @ECMO3 pointed out, I've had friends with dogs (dobermans) who will try and take your hand off just for shaking the owner's hand.

Overall though, I wouldn't worry about in game - except maybe with the ranger's/druid companion - it is a wild animal, after all. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe, maybe not. One of my dogs thinks we are being attacked anytime someone rings the doorbell or steps on our property.

I hope that is not correct. I hope that your animal is displaying more common territorial behaviors. Because otherwise, your animal really does need to see a behaviorist, before someone gets bitten.

Remove ads