D&D 3E/3.5 Using D&D 3.5 rules only, how would you simulate a Jedi?

Shin Okada

Explorer
How about Wizard/Swashbuckler/Eldritch Knight with some enchantment spells and self-buffing spells? Jedi usually don't wear armor. Use magic sword with some shining effect as lightsaber. With Craft Magic Armor/Weapon feat, he can make his own lightsaber. Eschew Material, still spell & silent spell may be good for completing his style.

Shellman

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I would think you'd start out a couple levels in Soulknife, then pick up a few levels in Psychic Warrior. Any other suggestions? Class/Level suggestions? Feats/Spells/Powers suggestions?

After talking to a good number of people who have played Soulknives, they have all strongly sugested that you do not multiclass a Soulknife.

But I like the idea of a Soulknife as a Jedi type of character. Of course there are different Jedi Orders, that specialize in particular disciplines that you could simulate by looking at some of the other psionic classes.

I don't have Complete Psionics yet but if you do, there might be some new feat and/ or prestige classes that will work well for that theme

Gestalt. Along one line, a single level of monk followed by levels of swashbuckler. Along the other line, straight psychic (see the Psychic's Handbook). If you want to play a sith, take the ki blast feat (PHBII) and have it look like lightning.

Klaus

First Post
Psychic Warrior, pure and simple. For lightsaber, a keen flaming burst defending bastard sword would do. Combat Expertise, Tumble, Fighting Defensively and defending weapon would boost one's AC through the roof.

Anyone interested in making a Soulknife quasi-Jedi should look into the Kalashtar Racial Substitution Levels in Races of Eberron and the Atavist PrClass.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
After talking to a good number of people who have played Soulknives, they have all strongly sugested that you do not multiclass a Soulknife.

I can understand why, but there's an issue of Dragon that contained a bunch of Soulknife feats, including Practiced Mindblade (or some such) which allows your PC to gain +4 levels of mindblade powers (similar to the other "Practiced" feats)- it goes a long way towards alleviating the problems of multiclassing.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I can understand why, but there's an issue of Dragon that contained a bunch of Soulknife feats, including Practiced Mindblade (or some such) which allows your PC to gain +4 levels of mindblade powers (similar to the other "Practiced" feats)- it goes a long way towards alleviating the problems of multiclassing.

In general it is not good to multiclass a Soulknife, but it depends on what you want out of them. If you simply want the ability to manifest a mindblade, all you need is 1 level. If you actually want to power the blade, then you should stay as a soulknife. Any idea which edition the mindblade feats are in? The Practiced Mindblade seems like a great feat.

Anyway, I woked some things and figured that a Monk 1/Soulknife 1/PsyWar 18 would be a decent build. You'd need Expanded Knowledge to pick up Suggestion (jedi mind trick), Telekinetic Force (force grab) and Telekinetic Thrust (force push). You could substitute Telekinetic Force with Far Hand to get it earlier, but it has it's limits. Some other jedi-like powers might be Catfall and Levitate (since there doesn't seem to be a Jump power). This build would definately benefit from Practiced Mindblade.

Another build Monk 2/Soulknife 1/PsyWar 17 to pick up Deflect Arrows (to simulate blocking projectiles with the "light sabre").

The last build I came up with is Monk 1(or 2)/Soulknife 5/PsyWar 14 (or 13). This will get you some mindblade boosts. You'd need to be a half-human and take the feat from Races of Destinty which allows a second favored class so you don't get an XP penalty. Also with this build you can reshape the mindblade into a long sword or bastard sword (seems more fitting as a lighsabre than a shortsword) as well as take the feat to turn it into a double bladed sword :)

Remove ads