• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Using social skills on other PCs

HammerMan

Legend
The player is free to roleplay that however they wish. Which really depends on context of the scene, I would think.
Is there an implication that the player must play out their PC's reaction to that information in a particular way?
yes, I expect that if I describe a huge rain storm my players will RP being in a storm.
If I describe a icy chill in the air I do NOT expect my players to all of a sudden pretend they are in a sunny beach
if you describe with word or numbers an intimidating orc i do not expect them to treat it like a rat.

HammerMan

Legend
What is not clear about that statement? Why does it need to be more "powerful?"
becuse it is a simple "what is roleplaying" statement that we can find a dozen (immdeidly most spells) that contradicts that. You just want a carve out for skills.

Charm person is more powerful then persuasion, but neither MENTION this rule they are the exception to... you the DM has to decide (well you and your table unless you are a 'my way or the highway' DM)

clearstream

(He, Him)
What is not clear about that statement? Why does it need to be more "powerful?"
It's not positioned in context as a rule or principle. Only as a guide as to how to go about roleplaying your character. So when you say the DM cannot do X because "players decide" I am asking you where that comes from?

In this conversation - repeatedly - it seems to be referred to as if it were a general rule. This is a point @Ovinomancer made up-thread. It was not until I re-read it that I saw concretely what he meant.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
So the PC don't get checks either to convincingly present lies to NPCs ? What is Deception for then ?

I'm sorry, but it's exactly the same thing, a task.
It's not the same thing. You describing an NPC lying to the PCs is describing the environment - step 1. The PCs saying they are lying to an NPC is step 2 - describing their actions. Like any action, you can resolve it with an ability check if there's an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence for failure.

I'm sorry, but just as the players sometimes are not equal to the task of roleplaying their character and prefer to describe it themselves, I don't feel I can present an argument as convincingly as a Demon Prince with 26 Cha and Deception proficiency. Call me a bad DM...
I won't do that, but I will agree nobody needs to be an expert on this stuff. It is a game for ages 12+ after all. You just need to be able to describe the environment (as DM) or describe your actions with reasonable specificity (as player). In this case, the DM just needs to say the lie that the Demon Prince says. What the players decide to do in the face of that is up to them. They might take him at his word. They might think it's sus. They might try to assess his body language to determine truthfulness. Only then do you resolve the action.

It's exactly the same task than when a PC attempts to convince and NPC. Zero difference, if you still think that there is a difference, you will have to find a rule that shows that there is a difference.

The only rule that is different is about the attitude, because NPCs have one and PCs don't, but that only a minor part of the Social Encounter.
The rules for attitude are in an explicitly optional rules space. I don't think it bears mentioning unless we're specifically talking about those rules. My expectation is that almost nobody uses them anyway.

It is, however, not the same between PCs and NPCs. A PC is lying to an NPC to get it to believe something for some purpose. Once that is assessed, the DM can call for a check, if there's an uncertain outcome and a meaningful consequence for failure. An NPC lying to a PC is just describing the environment - no roll. What the PCs do with that is up to them. Since it is up to them, there can be no ability check because there is no uncertainty as to the outcome of the task. The players say whether they believe the NPC or not or take some other action.

clearstream

(He, Him)
If the outcome is uncertain, yes. My argument is that the rules do not contain support for the outcome of an action taken with the goal of forcing a PC to make a certain decision being uncertain.
Can I ask, what is the test here that establishes lack of uncertainty for you? Is it the text on PHB185 (i.e. you see that as a rule), is it something from outside the game, or something else - perhaps text somewhere else in the core books?

Remember I am not asking if that uncertainty is a good or bad idea, or leads to better or worse play, I am asking from whence lack of it is established?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It's not positioned in context as a rule or principle. Only as a guide as to how to go about roleplaying your character. So when you say the DM cannot do X because "players decide" I am asking you where that comes from?

In this conversation - repeatedly - it seems to be referred to as if it were a general rule. This is a point @Ovinomancer made up-thread. It was not until I re-read it that I saw concretely what he meant.
I can't read the posts you're referencing. Nevertheless, we're now back to saying "This isn't a rule because it doesn't help my argument. It's a guideline." I don't buy it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This conclusion contains its premise.

A counter-position is that ability checks (and skills in their relation) are game mechanics. Game mechanics constitute exceptions to the general rule - or I think more a principle - that players decide. The erroneous carve out is to say that some kinds of ability checks are not like other game mechanics.
I think there’s a breakdown of communication here, because to my knowledge, nobody is claiming charisma checks work differently than other checks. What’s being claimed is that all checks are called for to resolve uncertainty in the outcome of actions. If there is no uncertainty, there is no rules supporting the use of an ability check. What we are fundamentally disagreeing about is whether or not the outcome of an action made to socially influence a PC is uncertain. I say that it is not, because the general rule (or principle if you like; I have no objection to calling it that) is that a player decides what their character does, so an action that aims to force a player’s character to make a certain decision cannot succeed. Your counter argument so far has been that an ability check, as a game mechanic, constitutes a specific exception to that general principle. I disagree, because in order for an ability check to be employed with the support of the rules, there must first be uncertainty in the outcome. To say that an ability check is an exception to the general principle of PC agency presupposes that it’s appropriate to make an ability check to resolve the action that would supplant their agency. My position is that it is not.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
becuse it is a simple "what is roleplaying" statement that we can find a dozen (immdeidly most spells) that contradicts that. You just want a carve out for skills.

Charm person is more powerful then persuasion, but neither MENTION this rule they are the exception to... you the DM has to decide (well you and your table unless you are a 'my way or the highway' DM)
It literally says the player determines what the character thinks, says, and does. I don't know how it could be more clear or more "powerful." That charm person is an exception and contradiction to that rule - which is the criteria laid out in the rules for specific beating general - is self-evident.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I think there’s a breakdown of communication here, because to my knowledge, nobody is claiming charisma checks work differently than other checks. What’s being claimed is that all checks are called for to resolve uncertainty in the outcome of actions. If there is no uncertainty, there is no rules supporting the use of an ability check. What we are fundamentally disagreeing about is whether or not the outcome of an action made to socially influence a PC is uncertain. I say that it is not, because the general rule (or principle if you like; I have no objection to calling it that) is that a player decides what their character does, so an action that aims to force a player’s character to make a certain decision cannot succeed. Your counter argument so far has been that an ability check, as a game mechanic, constitutes a specific exception to that general principle. I disagree, because in order for an ability check to be employed with the support of the rules, there must first be uncertainty in the outcome. To say that an ability check is an exception to the general principle of PC agency presupposes that it’s appropriate to make an ability check to resolve the action that would supplant their agency. My position is that it is not.
Exactly right. This all comes down to uncertainty. Anything else is not relevant and only serves to obfuscate this.

HammerMan

Legend
It literally says the player determines what the character thinks, says, and does. I don't know how it could be more clear or more "powerful." That charm person is an exception and contradiction to that rule - which is the criteria laid out in the rules for specific beating general - is self-evident.
1st, charm (spell,condition, applied by magic or skill like the rouge ability) never says it is an exception... it just is.
2nd, I am yet to hear (read) anyone say that they DO determine what someone elses character thinks, says, or does...

Remove ads