Using Star Wars d20 in D&D?

Mirth

Explorer
I'm thinking of adding the races, classes, skills & some of the equipment from Star Wars d20 (original or revised) to a regular D&D campaign, making it sort of science fantasy I guess. Has anyone else done this already? Would the conversion be that difficult? I did google up this page:

Star_Wars_Conversion_Rules

Any critique of this guy's work?

Before you suggest it, I already have Dragonstar. I really want to find a simple way to convert the d20 stats in Star Wars to a 3E D&D campaign.

Thanks in advance for any advice or links :D

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I feel that the majority of the SWD20 Races are under-powered compared to similar races in the core rules. In SWD20 there is little reason to play a non-human, as the human skill and feat advantage easily outbalances the paltry bonuses granted by most of the races.

mystraschosen

First Post
HellHound said:
I feel that the majority of the SWD20 Races are under-powered compared to similar races in the core rules. In SWD20 there is little reason to play a non-human, as the human skill and feat advantage easily outbalances the paltry bonuses granted by most of the races.
I am glad someone else feels the same way.I haven't yet playd sw d20,but I have been working on a campaign for the past 3 or 4 months.In the process of making npc's and all around bad guys,I have also noticed that the majority if not all of the alien species have no real merit.I have a hard time trying to justify making any alien adversarys beyond the fact that I don't want my pc's fighting exclusively human npc's.
HIJACK OVER......

Zappo

Explorer
HIJACK NOT OVER

To tell the truth, I'm using a wookie force adept/soldier that royally kicks ass in melee (able to easily kill a jedi of similar level) and is even some use outside combat.

HIJACK OVER

Anyway, a big problem I see is that SW classes are vastly less powerful than D&D classes. The addition of magical items could help, though.

Mirth

Explorer
If anybody wants to throw in house rules they've used to make the two fit, that would be cool too. Say, if you tweaked the SW races to bump them up to D&D levels, I'd love to hear about it :)

Gez

First Post
I'm not sure nonhumans are that uninteresting. Take the gungan, for example. Sure, he got a -10 clumsiness penalty on attack rolls and skill checks, but on the other hand, the +20 inane luck bonus to saves and defense seems worth it. And that +12 "endless annoyance" bonus to both VP and WP is really overkill.

mystraschosen

First Post
mirthcard said:
If anybody wants to throw in house rules they've used to make the two fit, that would be cool too. Say, if you tweaked the SW races to bump them up to D&D levels, I'd love to hear about it :)
I actually have been thinking about that,and this thread has convinced me to do it.So give me a couple of days and when I am finished I will post the results if you are interested.

Well gez,I still wouldn't play a gungan in a million years personally.The races are definitely interesting,but worth choosing.....that is a tough one for most of them(wookies being an exception).

mystraschosen

First Post
mirthcard said:
Sounds excellent mystraschosen! Another question - what would be the best way to transition VP/WP into HP?
Hmm now that is indeed a great question,Know how I know?Because I haven't the slightest idea.......I will also give some thought to this as well.....

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Zappo said:
HIJACK NOT OVER
To tell the truth, I'm using a wookie force adept/soldier that royally kicks ass in melee (able to easily kill a jedi of similar level) and is even some use outside combat.
HIJACK OVER

I agree that a few of the non-human races are at least on-par with humans, the primary among these being the wookie. But a majority have seemingly little to offer.

Remove ads