D&D 5E Using 'Versatile' bonus 1 handed

Mullerov

Villager
You're all right I'm not trying to push my point anymore, i just found it interesting discussion with me being a noob and all :) the rule states that it would need to be readied to he able to use it again which would then take another action or spend so many minutes (can't remember how many) readying it before I could use it again.

So indeed, thank you all for answering my noob question! ;-) now how do I close this thread before i feel even more stupid? :p

For the record:
My main motivation for asking was because we've been playing by the playtest rules up until now but 2 of our group of 5 now have the PHB and having just hit level 3 our DM is allowing us to 'update' our characters so they fit in with the up-to-date rules. This is including allowing us to switch classes entirely if we weren't happy with what we'd created (none of us except the DM have ever played D&D before... so making beginners mistakes comes naturally). I'd read this in the playtest how to play and hadn't looked into it any further than that to be honest. Sorry!

Dausuul

Legend
You get one "interact with an object" on each of your turns. So you can stow your shield (one interaction) and, arguably, use your warhammer with both hands (assuming that switching your grip is not considered a second interaction). What you can't do is get your shield back out afterward on the same turn.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
You're all right I'm not trying to push my point anymore, i just found it interesting discussion with me being a noob and all :)

You are fine. Welcome to the site. You will love it here.

In a way, when asking a question or looking for advice, we are all the same, don't worry about it.

Good to have new viewpoints anyway!

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The problem is in the interpretation. While the rules do say 'you can interact with one object or feature of the environment for free', the examples given are all examples of a single interaction -- opening a door, drawing a weapon.

It seems that some are interpreting 'interact with one object' as covering any number of interactions with that object, while the intent of the rule appears to be that only one interaction with one object or environmental feature is intended to be 'free'.

Joe Liker

First Post
You get one "interact with an object" on each of your turns. So you can stow your shield (one interaction) and, arguably, use your warhammer with both hands (assuming that switching your grip is not considered a second interaction). What you can't do is get your shield back out afterward on the same turn.
Donning or doffing a shield does not count as "interacting with an object." It falls under the armor rules and takes a full action to do either.

Riley37

First Post
The melee combat in the Society for Creative Anachronism is not 100% realistic; for example, they avoid actual maiming and death. It's still often a reasonable point of comparison. SCA fighters using "sword and board" (sword and shield) don't quickly switch to a two-handed grip, strike, then go back to using their shield.

Try it sometime. I bet that your foe will find an opportunity to attack, while you're switching.

If you argue that D&D is a re-creation of heroic fantasy stories, not a simulation of real life: would Salvatore write a story in which an enemy used this tactic to hit Drizzt with a two-handed strike, then use their shield to block Drizzt's counterstrike? Would Tolkien, or Zelazny, or Le Guin?

aramis erak

Legend
Many SCA fighters can shuck a shield in 2 seconds. Less than a full action, I'd say, but not much. Stowing it on the back takes much longer.
Fencers can usually ditch a buckler safely out of the combat in the same time. Restrapping it to it's buckle on the belt takes both hands and about 5 seconds.

Anth

First Post
The wording in in PHB is: "Draw or sheathe a sword." The word is or, not and.
The PHB also says: "If you want to interact with a second object, you need to use your action." Note that attacking with a second weapon is a bonus action so drawing a second weapon is part of the free action of the bonus action and thus permitted.
And as others pointed out the shield uses armor rules, not weapon rules, and thus take a round to don or doff.
The quotes are both from PHB p190, donning and doffing armor is p146.

Remove ads