D&D 3E/3.5 [v.3.5] Polymorph

Falstaff

First Post
Hello,

I know the Polymorph mechanics were overhauled in v.3.5. Were the new rules ever compiled and released? Or possibly an online article that explains the changes?

Thanks in advance.

Falstaff

First Post
Okay, maybe someone else can help. The poster above only linked me to the original Polymorph spell as it appears in the first printing of the v.3.5 Player's Handbook.

What I'm looking for are the updated Polymorph rules. Am I right that WotC made significant changes to how Polymorphing worked?

Herzog

Adventurer
Yes, they did.They changed them several times. I think the most recent official changess are (IIRC) in the Player Handbook 2. Some of them may be in the official errata and/or in the Rules Compendium.

Going from memory, the most recent changes boil down to this:
-Spells and abilities that change your shape are based on the Alternate Form ability (MM) instead of the Polymorph spell.
-Do not use the Polymorph spell. It is broken, and no matter what they tried to do to fix it, it didn't stop it from being broken.

Of course, this is my (very short and personal) interpretation of those changes.

Sekhmet

First Post
No, that is the errata'd version.
Special Abilities :: d20srd.org

You gain the STR, DEX, CON, size, extraordinary special attacks, movement modes (up to 120' flying or 60' nonflying), natural armor bonus, natural attacks, racial skill bonuses, and other gross physical qualities such as extra limbs or physical appearance.

You retain your class(es), level, INT, WIS, CHA, HP, BAB, Saving Throws, and Alignment.

Your new CON score does not affect your HP, but it does affect your FORT save bonus.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I think that PHB II introduced the "Polymorph Subschool" of spells, to completely replace Polymorph, Baleful Polymorph, Alter Self, and a whole bunch more.

I don't have that with me, but that's where to look.

I know that for RPGA events, they completely outlawed all the Polymorph spells. Just gone.

So yes, there is still a Polymorph spell in the SRD. WOTC is just hoping that it will somehow go away.

Falstaff

First Post
Very helpful everyone, thanks.

I hope the new Polymorph rules are included in the upcoming re-releases of the v.3.5 core books.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The polymorph subschool spells all have dumb restrictions and were a huge step in the wrong direction, IMO. Swift action, selfish (self-only), short duration spells with big temp hp boosts. They basically exist solely to pwn in melee better than the warrior classes and have no other use at all. That's...horrible.

I much prefer the actual Polymorph spell. Has a moderate duration for utility uses, and you can buff other PC's with it. Alter Self, Polymorph Any Object, and Shapechange are broken. IMO, the polymorph spell is not. Some later monster manuals printed creatures with outrageous stats and/or attack routines (like the cave troll, war troll, and arrow demon), but most creatures aren't that unbalanced to turn into and the polymorph spell limits you to Ex attacks, not qualities, Su, etc... And none of the really strong/exotic creature types, like incorporeal/undead, outsiders, constructs, and so forth.

delericho

Legend
I hope the new Polymorph rules are included in the upcoming re-releases of the v.3.5 core books.

Personally, I don't.

I don't use the errata, and while most of the changes are extremely minor, that polymorph change is a big one. That being the case, if the reprints include the polymorph errata, that will make them considerably less useful for our ongoing 3.5e campaign.

Fortunately (for us), I believe the last printing of the 3.5e PHB came after the polymorph errata was developed, and did not include that errata. I would be a little surprised, therefore, to see these reprints include the polymorph changes, especially given the extensiveness of those changes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases