D&D 3E/3.5 [v.3.5] Polymorph

xigbar

Explorer
It's a hard concept to grasp, that one infinity can be larger than another because it /contains/ it. You'll have to think about that a while to really understand what I'm saying here. The number sequence from 1.... x, which is an infinity, contains PI which is itself an infinity, yet is larger because it can hold it within it. Make sense?

If you can understand that, you can start to understand how multiple infinities can work. 2 PI, for example, is two sets of infinities.

If you can accept that, then you might be able to begin to see how this works. If your character has an infinite amount of hitpoints and is whisked into a universe where everybody else has as well, and everybody else is doing exactly the same thing as you - all at once - you'll be on the right track to see how in relative terms, you are back to normality and no more powerful than anyone else.

All power is relative to something else. 10HD is god like in a world where everyone else is 1/2HD ... but rubbish in a world where everyone else is 1000HD. Your 1 infinity HD character just found himself in a world where that is the _baseline_. He has to find another way to add another infinity to his hit dice to become a 2 infnity HD creature in this strange, other universe of infinite HD. Lets say, he needs to earn 2000XP here to do that. Of course, all his abilities just dropped to a 1 infinity HD creature, because in this universe, that's all he is, so his powers are scaled back accordingly.

Tick, tick, tick...

Having just graduated from a very sub-par high school, I can say with relative ease that I understand the fairly rudimentary concept, putting aside that I've read it on my own time. Your condescending delivery kind of marred it for your intended audience/assumed college forum lecture.

To simplify what Sekhmet is trying to say, the rules of the spells allow one to achieve the "first" infinity theoretically extend in to your proposed infinite infinities. He's speaking of infinity from the philosophical standpoint, rather than the mathematical one. In short, infinity is achieved infinitely.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Humor a poor gamer who hasn't explored the realms of infinity in terms of his RPGs: How does one attain this "first level of infinity"?

I'm sure there's a way to do it, I'm just not familiar with the method.

Remove ads