Valley of the Dead: Chapter 1 "A gathering of heroes"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Listening to the little man speak Kye's anger grows. Then Thok gives the blue vested scholar his ultimatum. Standing arms still crossed he readies himself against the alien monk.

"Well Thok believe's it be his right, he spoke first, do you wish to take up his challenge? We could step outside it would put your servant closer to the barn where he belongs." he asks in a formal voice.

Kye makes a face at the halfling as if to say you are beneath my notice. And then turns his attention back on the wizard and monk.

[sblock=OOC] Ready action: Cast Enlarge Person on himself should the retainer attack.

[/sblock]

[sblock=stats]
HP: 72/72
AC: 23 T:11 FF: 22
Speed: 20'
Init: +1
Fort: +7
Reflex: +3
Will: +9 [/sblock]

[sblock=spells]
0 level: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic
1 level: Bless, Bless, Cure Light Wounds(1d8+5), Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, d= Enlarge Person
2 level: Bull's Strength, Spiritual Weapon, Make Whole, Remove Paralysis, d= Bull's Strength
3 level: Prayer, Cure Serious Wounds(3d8+8), Invisiblity Purge, Dispel Magic, d= Protection from Energy
4 level: Divine Power, Magic Weapon;Greater, d= Spell Immunity

Turn undead = 11/11
Protictuve ward = 1/1
Feat of strength = 1/1
Metamagic rod = 2/3 [/sblock]

ethandrew

First Post
Latham sighs at the audacity of the situation, looking at the Helmite, "If you're trying to antagonize him, it won't work." He reaches his hands into his vest jacket feigning boredom, letting out another long sigh, "For a priest you are very unwise."

The focus of the young wizard shifts to the half-orc, the stubbornly stupid half-orc, "Plus, you don't even want that room, you want me to have it."

Alright, let the games begin.

Latham casts Silent Extended Charm Person on Thok. Will Save DC 21. His suggestion was just what he said, that Thok wants Latham to have the room.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok frowns. "Thok tired, needs rest, if you want room take it." The half orc walks to the mage. "You moving or what?"

Save: 15+2: 19

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
Latham sidesteps to allow the half-orc passage through, patting the man on his shoulder, "Good idea, Thok, I think I'll retire as well."

Before following up the stairs, with Keht in tow, Latham shoots a victorious look at the Helmite. Some would even call it smug.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Ah you see Thok be the better man... um better half-man than any of us," Kye says beaming. He starts to follow the half-orc up to the commons room. Turning to address everyone he says ignoring Latham's look.

"Ye should all strive to be half the man he... um well... is."

Kye hurries to catch up to the battered Thok.

Myth and Legend

First Post
And so the weary adventurers retire, after an action filled day, their bodies aching and minds filled with the promise of grand things yet to come. The evening proves to be more than eventful, and the night holds yet more mysteries.

Herriman, Thok, Kye, Alevyth and Sensalar go up to the common quarters, the squeaking of the wooden stairwell and the snoring coming from the nearby bunks being the only sounds this late in the night. The sleeping town can be seen from a narrow window on the third floor, a few yellow lights scattered about the black structures, reminding the viewer of sleeping giant beasts. The Cathedral's grand twin towers can be seen from here, as they are illuminated by torches and some sort of magical fires.

The rain outside has subsided, and the air breezing in from a small terrace is fresh and crisp. The sleeping quarters are filled with bunks - twenty or so can be seen, and a narrow door in the back leads to the privy, a not too pleasant smell coming from there. Akevyth has chosen the only remaining free bunk there, making a sacrifice for the others, as is his nature and that of the Broken God.

Thok, Kye, Herriman and the silver eyed Aasimar named Sensalar make their way down the corirdor, to a medium sized room. The inkeeper soon follows behind, drops a pile of clean but somewhat torn towlels and linens, a half-burned candle and a set of four iron keys.

"This is it. Don't break anything and be sure to leave by tomorow noon. G'night" he states in an apathetic tone, and leaves, shutting the door behind him.

The four take up a bead each, the room not offering much in the sense of storage space, only equipped with a small table and a wardrobe that has claw marks on one of it's doors.

Herriman choses the bunk closest to the only window, while Kye and Thok sleep on each side of the door, and the Aasimar on the opposite end.

[sblock=Thok]The Half-Orc's stubborn character, a trait inherited from his father, has somehow given way to reason this night, and while Thok doesn't understand the hows and the whys, he is happy to remove his armour and rest his weary body. His arms ache from overuse, and his chest and gut feel tightened from the recent magical healing.

As he drifts away in the land of dreams, the Half Orc feels light, as if he is floating. He finds himself hovering over a massive battleifeld, a slaughter between shadowy figures ensuing below. In front of him, stands a massive hulking figure of an Orc, clad in black full plate armour and wielding a viscious looking spear with a green aura around it. He has one central eye, unblinking and staring with intense malice. Thok feels waves of terror seething trough his very being, as the figure speaks in Orcish with a thundering voice.

[Sblock=Orc]"You are weak because of your human blood! But you fought well today! The hated Dwarf did not end you, and you must now fight harder! You are not full-Orc, but you must use your strength as I say! Go with the pinkskins. Kill the girl when you can. You can take this town for yourself and our kind after. The pinkskin hides one of my swords in his house. Take it for yourself! It's an Orc blade, and only the Orcish blood can use it!"

He makes a step forward, the earth trembling beneath his feet, his figure looming over Thok.

"When the time comes you kill the girl! Kill her good! This is the only way to clean yourself half-blood! Kill the girl, to earn my favor! Remember, I am He Who Watches. You will not escape my sight!"
[/Sblock]

The figure raises it's mail clad arm wielding the grand spear of wicked design. He dashes forward in the blink of an eye and impales Thok trough the chest. The Half Orc suddenly finds himself in a chaotic series of dreams, wherein he is fighting nameless and faceless Dwarves and Elves. Several times during his dream the figure of a little girl runs about, giggling and poking at the Orc with her tiny finger. She vanishes, only to appear behind him or to his side, as the ever present enemies fall before the Half-Orc's blade. He notices that the sword he is holding now has a strange curved shape and is all black, with a very sharp edge and producing a wicked hissing noise every time it bites in the flesh of a foe.[/sblock]

[sblock=Herriman]The Halfling can't sleep, his mind is racing trough the options presented before him. The Cleric, Paladin and Barbarian have long since given in to slumber, the Half Orc thrashing about in his bunk violently. As he lies in his bed, trying to ignore the termites scraching away in the lumber, he hears a faint clanging noise coming from the window.

Herriman sloly turns his head and notices a hooded figure, perched on the narrow ledge on the outside of the window, knocking on the glass with the tip of what is apparently a very pointy nail. A pair of crimson eyes can be seen barely glowing in the darkness from underneath the hood, and the hands are the familliar pale colour of Vivian's skin.[/sblock]

[sblock=Kye]The Priest removes his armour and stretches his toes in the clean and comfortable sheets of the bed. He is overtaken with feelings of remorse and self criticism, but soon falls prey to the world of dreams.

The Cleric finds himself standing before a great throne, a giant of a man, clad in grey coloured steel full plate on it. An aura of strength and virute exudes from the figure, and creates impossibly strong emotions inside the cleric's heart. Kye instantly recognizes his deity and drops on his knees, as Helm sits there silently.

"Be ever vigilant Kyelinger." He finally utters after a long pause.

His voice thunders trough the hall they are in. The walls around them are also windows, and each windows shows an event occuring somewhere, most of the places unknonw to kye. The Cleric recognizes some of the scenes, several of which have happened today, some even from his youthful days before he had been annointed as a Priest.

"To be a true servant of my faith you must remain always ready, always observing. See things for what they truly are and do not be fooled by the guise of evil. I give you permission to work alongside the Lathandreans, for your task surpasses most things in urgency and import. Others are watching you as well, but you must not let anyone halt your determination! Obey the laws and do what is right, and you shall prosper. Fail, and you will let evil spew forth in the world and devour those whom you have sworn to protect. Remember to be ever wary, ever observing and ever dilligent in your efforts. Yasaderian is now a Glymtul and you must do the Consecration ceremony tomorow at dawn, for it will serve you well in the coming battle. Do not fail me Kyelinger, for I place my blessing upon you!"

With these words, Helm nods at Kye and the Cleric finds himself alone in the throne room of his God, the windows around hims still showing some pictures of the past, present and future.[/sblock]

Latham and Keht make their way to the room on the second floor with ease, as it's close to the staircase. During the argument, Merry had been in the kitchen, and the inkeeper had decided not to meddle, least another fight break out tonight. The floorboards produce treacherous noises as the Wizard and his companion enter the room. It has a small window looking towards the street below, and not much furnishings besides two cots, an empty chest and a table. At least the room is equipped wtih an oil lamp, and fresh linens are waiting, already spread on the beds. A bronze pitcher filled with water is on the table as well, but the room lacks a mirror.

As the pair settles, Latham begins counting the gold he had received today, then freshens himself up with some water and removes his robes for more comfortable sleep, all of which takes the better part of an hour. Downstair the staff is still cleaning and moving furniture around, but this does not stop Keht from immediately falling asleep. The Wizard also comes across the booklet granted by his employer. Not wanting to wait furhter, he begins reading it, but had not gotten past the second page when he hears a clinging sound coming from the locked door. Keht immediately wakes up and silently bolts for the door, stopping his lightning fast kick at the very last moment, just before it breaks Merry's nose as she peeks her head inside.

The girl is dressed in a white nightgown and almost drops the candle she is carrying, her eyes wide with surprise and her cheeks blushing with redness. "Uh, oh I am truly sorry master Wizard." she mumbles with embarassment.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=Myth]
Herriman casts about and quietly stands, making a short bow, accompanied by a slight smile. “I was wondering when you might show up again,” he whispers, half to himself, as he opens up the window as quietly as he can. “Though I wasn’t expecting you so soon.”

OOC: Not sure if you want a Move Silently check for that, but I have no problem letting you roll it. Especially since IC and have a mutual hatred of each other. Herriman’s MS modifier is +23. Should beat any sleepers’ checks. :p
[/sblock]

ethandrew

First Post
A few short words in the gutteral githzerai language issue forth from Latham's mouth, staying the monk and putting him at ease. "You've nothing to apologize for, Miss. Were you expecting someone else?"

Myth and Legend

First Post
Herriman is as stealthy as a cat and does not wake his companions. Vivian stands on the ledge, her two hands gripping the edge of the stone right between her feet. She eyes the room but does not move further. She does grant the Halfling a beguiling smile. "I did some research on our Wizard friend. It seems he is adept at Enchantments and Compulsions, and that could prove troublesome for a certain Halfling. Hence my little gift - she reaches in a medium sized purple bag and produces an interesting looking cloak of neutral colours and fine craftsmanship. - it should help you against Wizardly tricks and other dangers." she declares with a hushed tone, her crimson eyes glowing in the darkness of the night.

Merry blushes and moves a lock of hair behind her ear. "Well I was thinking that the Barbarian would have taken this room. No matter then, I am sorry to bother you and your um... friend?" She bows lightly and is about to leave the room.

ethandrew

First Post
Latham's expression quickly turns to amazement, "A late-night rendezvous with him? Surely you could do better." This woman was obviously attractive, too attractive for her own good, most like, and why she would be lusting after the half-orc made little sense. A look of understanding dawned on the young wizard's face, "Oh, you like the brawny types. No worries. He's in the common sleeping room, don't make too much noise."

Keht moves away from the door, wearing naught but his undershorts, and climbs back into his cot. It used to be the monk wore a loin cloth under his robes, but Latham insisted the monk be a little more decent for the sake of others, the wizard most prominent.

And Latham, for his part, sitting up in his cot, watched the girl and her reactions.

Remove ads