Valley of the Dead: Chapter 1 "A gathering of heroes"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC] I read somewhere ML is waiting for us to post? Does that mean it's morning yet, that is what I am waiting on. [/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=Myth]
Herriman purses his lips, then smiles and nods. “My thanks, Vivian. Such a thing would also explain a strange happening this evening. It may be possible to use some of these people against him… He has no compunction against using his powers on others, especially for his own gain. But that is for later. Thank you, milady, and good hunting,” he finishes quietly, with another smile and bow.

The stealthy Halfling waits for either Vivian’s response or for her departure. If she just leaves, he closes the window most of the way.
[/sblock]

OOC: Thanks for reminding me, HM. :)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Thok awakes with a purpose.
"I need to find a sword in Merry's house. My god told me to." he declares, at breakefast. After he finishes, he stands. "Merry, come, lets go to your house now." Thok might just not realized that Merry perhaps is not in the tavern anymore, however, he calls, non the less.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Merry lookes at the floor then back at Latham. She seems somewhat nervous with Keht there, but responds with a calm voice. "I am raising my little sister as if she were my own child, and I work and toil in this inn for the better part of the day and well into the night. A man like him seems so... simple. And pure in his intentions, base as they are. He will not ask questions or think too much. He is... convenient if you will. Smart men tend to make plans, and I can't become a part of anyone's plans for the time being."

With that she bows slightly and leaves the room, leaving the Wizard and his bodyguard to their privacy. Latham has a chance to finish reading the magical booklet, feeling the arcane text imprinting itself on his memory.

[sblock=Booklet]This compendium outlines the known artifacts created in the aftermath of the Meteoric Iron War. Until recently it was thought that they all came from the same source, but further inquiries suggest that there may have been other meteor crashes in ages past, and that some of the more potent of these items have been created in the days of the Grand Cities. You who are reading this, are now an agent of mine and thus must know what you would be facing. Obtaining these items and their safe transport to your employer is the highest priority for you if you wish to receive the promised pay in return. Know that the longer you attempt to hold the artifact without passing it on to a higher ranked agent, the larger the risk of a powerful enemy discovering your location via Divination will be.

The text then cuts of and illustrations of items with text blocks next to them follow. The first one is a bow, made of green and black metal, with no apparent bowstring. Next to it it says:

The Darkfire bow
Location unknown.

It appears that this weapon is strongly connected with the Negative Energy Plane. It has been reported to be able to drain the very life force of it's victims, permanently. It also fires ammunition that is unaffected by any sort of obstacles, magical or mundane, and is able to hit etheral and incorporeal targets. Great care is advised when attempting to obtain this item. Lack of any divination success suggests it is within the warded section of the Valley of the Dead.

Then there is a drawing of a circlet, three pointy edges adorning it's front. It is completely green and metallic.

Circlet of Temporal Alacrity

Confirmed possession of the Archlich Robert Trensenth, this item grants the user the opportunity to speed up time in a personal field around him. Currently seventeen agents have not returned from their mission to retreive this artifact. Approach with utmost care.

The booklet follows with a drawing of a dark green and brown suit of full plate armour.
Duskshroud Veil armour
Location unknown

Properties unknown, although one of our agents insists it grants immunity to any weapons, this has not been confirmed.
Lack of any divination success suggests it is within the warded section of the Valley of the Dead.

The next item is a small black ring with a green piece of metal where normally a gem would be.

Unknown name
Location unknown

Properties remain dubious, although it is confirmed that this ring can Resurrect it's wearer and teleport him away from battle.

Next is a mace with a glowing green head, attached to a long metallic rod.

Mace of Disjunction

Confirmed in use by one of
Trensenth's minions. This mace applies a Maje's Disjunction upon a successful hit. It is unknown how frequently this can happen. Approach with great care, the minion who wields this is proficient in combat and magic alike.

Finally, more text follows on the last page:

The following artifacts are unnamed and have not been seen, but have been heard of trough various sources, or have been glimpsed via divination: A large metal shield, possibly animated. A rod of green and black metal. A snake shaped pedant. Armbands in the form of coiled snakes. A greatsword with a green blade, possibly permanently flaming.

May The Art guide your path.
[/sblock]

The next morning, early on, before the sun has risen above the dark contours of the horizon, the patrons are assembled in the tavern. The Half-Orc seems unbothered by his dreams and quite energetic. Merry, who seems tired but still very pretty, is carrying a tray with milk, freshly baked bread and cheese.

The girl seems stumped and looks at Thok with a dumbfounded expression. "Your.. God? You don't seem the priestly type master Thok. In any event, I own no blades apart from the dagger at my belt. Are you sure your God told you I was in possession of this?"

Kye, Herriman, Thok, Latham, Keht and Alevyth are all sitting around the table - apparently Ferviel instructed the inkeeper to wake them at the first hint of light. So much for the "free" dinner.

Bran is absent, as well as Sensalar, and while Merry seems to think he went out with Lobri to the nearby gardens, not being much of a city person, it is strange for Sensalar to leave without taking any of his equipment or weapons even (or so his three roommates notice)

[sblock]Everyone levels up to level 9 and get 1/2 the XP needed to get to level 10 as well.

Herriman got a Cloak of Protection +3. Kye's sword is now a Glymtul of Helm and he must perform a ceremony each morning. He will find that his sword has improved.

Thok has to find his new sword first :p Now we are waiting for the new addition to the group and we move on to chapter 2 (after 1 whole year of playing, most of which is me not updating...)[/sblock]

Theroc

First Post
Alevyth was unsure what had transpired that evening, perhaps that blasted mage had confounded his mind again, or perhaps Ilmater or Helm had decided that it was not the young paladin's fight. Either way, he discovers himself at a table in the morning, looking about in mild confusion. Where had Adelaide gone?

"Has anyone seen Adelaide lately? I had a question I'd wanted to ask before... the dwarves happened..."

The lost time was disturbing to the young man, and he was simply glad he hadn't gone and revealed what was essentially his only secret during this lost time.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Merry looks at the boy as she put the tray before the still half asleep adventurers. "The blond Paladin lady? She left with Ferviel, the Order of Aster has their own barracks and sleeping quarters on the Cathedral grounds. You got in one mess of a fight last night, you and the silver eyed man, against Broggo, one of Bolgrim's men. Broggo is always drunk but his fists can punch trough walls. I mean literally." the girl nods to reinforce her words, and points towards a hole at the far corner of the room, next to the fireplace. "Are you sure you are well?"

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Kye had woken thankful that his failure against the White Lady had not deemed him unworthy in the eyes of Helm. He took his prayers overly serious in the morning and preformed the ceremony to sanctify Yasaderian as a Glymtul to Helm. This made the young priest smile for Yasaderian was his "favored thing" as well.

Calling upon a stable boy to help with his armor Kye enters the common room where the others wait refreshed and ready.

"Hail! And well met!" he says entering, his booming voice enough to wake anyone thinking of falling asleep in their morning meal.

[sblock=Stats]
Hit Points: 81
Speed: 20 feet
Armor Class: 23
Touch AC: 11
Flat-footed: 22
Initiative modifier: +1
Fortitude save: +7
Reflex save: +4
Will save: +9
BAB: +6/+1
Attack (handheld): +8
Attack (missile): +7
Grapple check: +8

Concentration + 6
Diplomacy + 20
Knowledge (History) +6
Knowledge (Arcana) + 3
Knowledge (The Planes) + 3
Knowledge (Religion) + 8
Listen + 3 = + 3 [Wis]
Sense Motive + 10
Spellcraft + 6

Prepared spells:
0 level: Create Water, Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, OPEN SLOT
1 level: Bless, Cure Light Wounds(1d8+5), Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, OPEN SLOT d= Enlarge Person
2 level: Bull's Strength, Spiritual Weapon, OPEN SLOT, OPEN SLOT, OPEN SLOT d= Bull's Strength
3 level: Invisiblity Purge, Dispel Magic, OPEN SLOT, OPEN SLOT d= Protection from Energy
4 level: Divine Power, OPEN SLOT d= Spell Immunity
5 level: OPEN SLOT, d= Spell Resistance

ABILITIES:
Turn Undead: 11/11
Feat of Strength: 1/1
Protective Ward: 1/1

ITEMS:
Metamagic Rod(extended,lesser) 3/3
Scroll-divination(cstrlvl7)
Potions:
-- Remove Curse
-- Levitate
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Your.. God? You don't seem the priestly type master Thok. In any event, I own no blades apart from the dagger at my belt. Are you sure your God told you I was in possession of this?"

"Thok is no priest, he is a great warrior." states Thok, matter of factly. "But big orc god told Thok you had blade in your house!" he protests. Leaning back in his chair, and making it creack, the barbarian continues "Thok had a dream where he was fighting many people, and little Jill appeared and poked Thok, then disappeared again, and poked Thok, and then disappeared again, and poked Thok; then disappeared again, and poked Thok again. Strange dream. Then orc god appeared, told Thok about the important blade, and passed Thok through with huge sword."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Herriman spends the first part of his morning in meditation, mind focused inward and on the energy of souls. He hears his mother's voice call to him, or thinks he does, but it does not break his concentration as he forms a new helm from the energy. It settles onto his head and becomes semi-solid. As the process ends, he opens his eyes and stands, checking over each of his soulmelds and making sure his rapier and new cloak are secure.

The halfling goes down the stairs to breakfast, solemn, but the effect the soulmelds have on his appearance is undeniable. The silver bracers sporting a blue sheen, the transparent crystal forming an open-faced helm, and the blue web-like vest hovering just above his chest make the pitch-black gloves over his hands seem insignificant, though it all combines into a strange picture.

He says nothing, just taking his helping of food and eating quietly.

Myth and Legend

First Post
The girl looks at Thok with a confused expression. "A dream? About an Orcish God? Did he have one eye ony?" When the Barbarian confirms, Merry continues with a tense voice. "This is definitely a description of Gruumsh. But i know not of any blade that could possibly belong to him."

At this moment the innkeeper, mister Hatley, comes down the wooden staircase, the old planks screeching beneath his feet. "Um this was left in yer room. I don't want no trouble, ya hear? Take yer stuff, don't be blamin' me later!"

He tosses the backpack on the side of the table, and looks at Thok and Merry. "Gruumsh came to you in a dream now is it? I got what ye need, leave my serving wench be. Bunch of yer kind - he nods towards Thok, but it is unclear whether he means adventurers, or Half Orcs, or Barbarians for that matter. - left it here one night, cuz one o' them died and the others couldn't touch the thing without spewing their guts on the floor. I tried giving it to Ferviel so he can consecrate it or whatever Priests do, but he said there ain't no evil inside it."

The inkeeper brushes his hands on his apron and begins stuffing his pipe. "Been keeping it, as a souvenir you see. Wait here. - Hatley makes his way to one of the back rooms and comes back, dragging a wooden chest on the floor. He opens the lid with his foot, and inside lies a long black blade, with viscous curves along the base. It looks just like the one Thok dreamed. - Five hundar' gold pieces and it's yours." Hatley narrows his eyes and brushes his somewhat greasy hair.

The Paladins of Lathander have already assembled, even before dawn has began painting the horizon in shades of pink and orange. The Chirch is light brightly by ever-burning flames, and Lazarus Trimenheim is sitting on one of the benches, reading a book of scripture. Next to him sits Lórquelië, pale and delicate, like a rose in winter, and the silence is only disturbed by the other holy warriors, murmuring prayers.

"I am thankful for Mistress Canevia's prompt response to my request. You arriving in the middle of the night, in this part of Muirlane is truly a brave act. We are in dire need of arcane might on this holy assignment, as Lathander be my witness there are horrors in this Valley that cannot be bested by the might of a blade alone." Lazarus talks without lifting his gaze from the book, armour clad, clean shaven and seemingly fresh although he was already awake when the Elf arrived.

"I have known the leader of the Incantatrix order for many years - Canevia and I were adventurers together, back when she could do not much but conjure a simple cantrip. I am sure that she has chosen you to aid us for a reason, and I wish not to intrude on your motives and past. Just know, that this task is as dangerous as it is righteous. I cannot guarantee your safety, once we are past that gate." Lazarus speaks calmly, his finger pointing to where he is reading - a passage of the Morning Prayer. His greatsword rests comfortably next to him, leaning against the bench, the scabbard engraved with gold and silver, as lavishly as the Paladin's armour.

Remove ads