• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vampire: the Masquerade - The Sabbat [Rated R]

Shalimar

First Post
Reap, just a quick question, are you still playing in Shadowrun? The game has been going for almost 2 weeks now, and not a post.

reapersaurus

Explorer
yes, i'd like to, I just haven't had time to finalize my monk, inue.
I just yesterday sent a email to Folkert, asking for some final modifications, due to the excessive cost of the monofilament whip, I want to remove it and just use a normal whip.
The last thing I had time to ask about was to you, about your character's use of the un-cyberwared monofilament whip.

It's just too expensive, in money and magic cost, to have the whip cybered, solely for roleplaying value.

Shalimar

First Post
I quite agree, thats part of the reason its probably not offered as a cyber option.

The last thing I had time to ask about was to you, about your character's use of the un-cyberwared monofilament whip.

I don't know, wasn't that a couple weeks ago? It seems like this game is going to be just as fast as the other game. If you are finding problems with not enough time to post should you really be adding more to the load?

reapersaurus

Explorer
Shalimar's got me feeling combatative and confrontational (or maybe that's just because my work's setup is blowing up and costing me 2 hours tonight), so I have to ask Tokiwong what I usually ask DM's online that I'm not familiar with:

What are your qualifications to DM online? Experience, in other words, and what are your approaches to speed of posting (how often will you post, etc), whether mapping will be done for combat or not, how do you want to deal with questions from players that come up? Should we email issues, or deal with them out front in the OOc thread?

As for this particular campaign:
Why did you choose Barcelona, Spain?
I think you mentioned because you lived/researched there, but are you aware of how much of a strain that puts on us as players?
And is this:
Tentative info... Barcelona, Spain, the year is 1978, and the characters should be natives of the region, and they are young Sabbat, just brought into the Sabbat, via a mass-embrace, the city is under the hammer-fist of a Lasombra Arch-Bishop...
still in force?
We must be natives of Barcelona?
What the heck do I know about Barcelona life, to make a realistic, 3 dimensional character, as it seems you prefer?

And why 1978?

I was 8 then, so I remember vaguely the feel of the times, but I can't realistically be expected to act appropriately for Spain, circa 1978. How bout others?

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?
Cause 1978 was TOTALLY different than it is today - I'd go so far as to say an alien world to those younger than 28 or so.
There was no real remote control for a TV, for god's sake. :eek:
You bought music on an album, or _maybe_ a cassette, more likely an 8-track.
Video games didn't exist.
Jimmy Carter was president. This was before Ronald Reagan, before stock markets booming and the Yuppie movement, before MTV, before the saturation of world-wide media outlets.
America was one step out of the 60's and we mostly listened to Walter Kronkite to find out what was going on in the world.

The rest of the world might as well be in a before-1950's mode, when it comes to societal traditions and mores, probably even worse.
There was discrimination rampant, not even a real attempt to level playing fields, women hardly had careers, minorities likewise... it was just a WHOLE 'nother ballgame.

And you want us, and yourself, to attempt to transport ourselves to this other world... WHY?

Because you don't like some of the later canon of the World of Darkness, I'd be totally guessing?
Would it be a better idea to just ignore the aspects of 'official' WoD world-events that you don't like?

Just tell us what world you want us to play in - I think from the character-talk we've been doing so far, we've provewn how much of a good group of players you're generously offering to DM for.

And one last thing:

I request that you let us have Merits and Flaws, regardless of whther they 'irk' you.
The players have fun with them.
Isn't that the point of the game?

whew - glad to get that off my chest. *lifts boulder off*

KitanaVorr

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Shalimar's got me feeling combatative and confrontational (or maybe that's just because my work's setup is blowing up and costing me 2 hours tonight), so I have to ask Tokiwong what I usually ask DM's online that I'm not familiar with:

What are your qualifications to DM online? Experience, in other words, and what are your approaches to speed of posting (how often will you post, etc), whether mapping will be done for combat or not, how do you want to deal with questions from players that come up? Should we email issues, or deal with them out front in the OOc thread?

As for this particular campaign:
Why did you choose Barcelona, Spain?
I think you mentioned because you lived/researched there, but are you aware of how much of a strain that puts on us as players?
And is this: still in force?
We must be natives of Barcelona?
What the heck do I know about Barcelona life, to make a realistic, 3 dimensional character, as it seems you prefer?

And why 1978?

I was 8 then, so I remember vaguely the feel of the times, but I can't realistically be expected to act appropriately for Spain, circa 1978. How bout others?

Do you mind if I ask how old you are?
Cause 1978 was TOTALLY different than it is today - I'd go so far as to say an alien world to those younger than 28 or so.
There was no real remote control for a TV, for god's sake. :eek:
You bought music on an album, or _maybe_ a cassette, more likely an 8-track.
Video games didn't exist.
Jimmy Carter was president. This was before Ronald Reagan, before stock markets booming and the Yuppie movement, before MTV, before the saturation of world-wide media outlets.
America was one step out of the 60's and we mostly listened to Walter Kronkite to find out what was going on in the world.

The rest of the world might as well be in a before-1950's mode, when it comes to societal traditions and mores, probably even worse.
There was discrimination rampant, not even a real attempt to level playing fields, women hardly had careers, minorities likewise... it was just a WHOLE 'nother ballgame.

And you want us, and yourself, to attempt to transport ourselves to this other world... WHY?

Because you don't like some of the later canon of the World of Darkness, I'd be totally guessing?
Would it be a better idea to just ignore the aspects of 'official' WoD world-events that you don't like?

Just tell us what world you want us to play in - I think from the character-talk we've been doing so far, we've provewn how much of a good group of players you're generously offering to DM for.

And one last thing:

I request that you let us have Merits and Flaws, regardless of whther they 'irk' you.
The players have fun with them.
Isn't that the point of the game?

whew - glad to get that off my chest. *lifts boulder off*

Reaper -

Personally, I really like that its set in Barcelona and I do like the requirements that we be natives of the area. I'm rather tired of the games on the boards always being very American-centric and caucasion-centric. But even so, native requirements don't seem to affect the others as so far three of our PC group are not from the region at all. I believe only Catulle and I have Spanish concept characters.

Also bear in mind that 1978 in Europe is very different from 1978 in the United States. Also if you're not Spanish, well you would be the minority group in Spain, not the other way around. Alot of the things you pointed out really is just from the American point of view. The rest of the world was not as backward as the United States was in terms of discrimination in the 1970's so saying that the rest of the world was stuck in the 1950's is incorrect.

All it requires to develop characters is to put a little bit of effort into researching the time period, the culture, and the region. This can be done very easily just by using a search engine. I'm from the school of roleplaying where I love researching the characters I play so that I play them as true to form as possible. (ie: if I play a biologist I would read up on biology to sound knowledgable).

Really it boils down to this. Tokiwong is the storyteller and that's the story he wants to tell. I also believe that the other players don't have any problems with his restrictions or they wouldn't be playing.

This post isn't intended to 'ding' you or anything, but just to perhaps add a different perspective on the outlook of the game. What you see as restrictions, I rather see as benefits.

Shalimar

First Post
Tokiwong,

I am so sorry for Reapersaurus's post, it was in-excuseable, please don't hold it against the rest of us. I am exceedingly grateful for the chance to play, especially as you had to be talked into running it. Please don't change your mind about running it because of 1 players utter lack of diplomacy, the rest of us are truly grateful for the opportunity, no matter where it is that we are playing.

Tokiwong

First Post
I shall think about it, I am not sure if the words are insulting or not, and I really don't feel that I am being unreasonable, but we shall see, I want it to be fun, not an Inquisition...

Just gonna let things simmer, for a bit, as it stands if someone else wants to runa game more everyone elses speed, they are welcom to it :)

KitanaVorr

First Post
Tokiwong said:
I shall think about it, I am not sure if the words are insulting or not, and I really don't feel that I am being unreasonable, but we shall see, I want it to be fun, not an Inquisition...

Just gonna let things simmer, for a bit, as it stands if someone else wants to runa game more everyone elses speed, they are welcom to it :)

You're not unreasonable at all. Please don't change the game dynamics just because one person doesn't like it. There are seven other players besides him that enjoy the game as you have created it. If he doesn't like it, he can always choose not to play.

I want to say right now that Reaper does not represent the opinions of anyone else in the game.

reapersaurus

Explorer
:eek:
insulting?!

you've gotta be kidding me.
I can't ask simple, reasonable questions about the game, without being afraid the DM is going to pack up and stop playing?

What you call diplomacy, Shalimar, I call ignoring a alarming symptom.

The player questions in my post were all quite reasonable ones to ask.
Currently, I don't know what Tokiwong's answers are, and I don't know how he's being 'unreasonable'.
If he replied with "tough, that's my game, and I would rather have it set in Barcelona", then he'd be more than welcome to respond that way.

Toki - don't think of changing anything about your game because one player talks about it.
That's the point of talking about it - to allow for a exchange of ideas and approaches about the subject, and we all learn more.

What are your feelings or concerns about my questions?
If you'd like, I'd be happy to discuss them with you here, or on email.

Tory Adore

First Post
Name: N’care Apophis (pronounced Na Care)
Race: Egyptian / American
Hair: Black with natural reddish highlights Skin: Light olive-complexion Eyes: Brown
Generation: 9th Serpents of the Light
Nature: Penitant
Demeanour: Bon Vivant
Concept: Student / Nightlifer (internal conflict with sin and repentance)
Sire: Brigette de l'Artibonite

Physical
Strength: 2
Dexterity: 2
Stamina: 2

Social
Charisma: 4
Manipulation: 3
Appearance: 3

Mental
Perception: 3
Intelligence: 3
Wits: 2

Talents
Alertness: 2
Athletics: 1
Empathy: 2
Expression: 1
Subterfuge: 3

Skills
Crafts: 1 (sketching)
Etiquette: 1
Stealth: 1
Survival: 1
Fire Dance: 2

Knowledges
Academics: 2
Finance: 1
Investigation: 2
Linguistics: 3 (French, Heiroglyphics, Latin, Spanish)
Medicine: 1
Occult: 3
Politics: 1

Backgrounds
Generation: 4 (9th)
Resources: 1 (small savings / small studio flat – uses pulic transportation, walks, or hitchhikes)

Disciplines
(just ideas so far – still working on it)
Presence: 1
Serpentis: 2
Thaumaturgy: 1 (The Vine of Dionysus - Methyskein)

Virtues
Conscience: 2
Self Control: 1
Courage: 5

Humanity: 4
Willpower: 5
Blood Pool: 14

Clan Weakness
Highly allergic to the sun – twice as much damaged inflicted from sunlight

8 Freebies: bought 2 in skills (Craft), 5 Backgrounds, 1 in Humanity

Long Character Backstory
N’care Apophis was born in Egypt. Her mother, Monique Allen, was a young, American anthropology student on her first dig completing an apprenticeship. As the result of her mother’s indiscretion and promiscuity while in Egypt, N’care was conceived. Her birth, by Cesarean section ordered by Dr. Mahan, came during the total solar eclipse that took place on June 8, 1956. Being unsure of who the father was, Monique chose the last name of her child based on Egyptian legend which seemed to fit her feelings at the time of the birth of her daughter – N’care’s birth signalled an early end to Monique’s career. When people asked her mother where N’care’s father was, Monique would tell them that he had died just before N’care was born.

Monique struggled to find jobs in Egypt to support them as she could. When N’care was about 12, her mother received a letter asking her to come to Haiti to do some research with a former colleague that she had kept in touch with over the years. The money was too much to pass up on its own, not to mention Monique would get another chance at her career. With that, she packed up and moved N’care and herself to a better, more comfortable life in Haiti. During their travel, N’care asked how her father died, and why her mother had gone to Egypt. Monique wished she could lie to her daughter, but of the bad traits she had, lying to her daughter just wasn’t one of them. N’care learned everything, and her mother told her about the legends of Egypt’s ancient gods, where her last name had come from, and how to read and sketch hieroglyphics. She didn’t quite know what to think of her mother. Maybe because she was too young to fully understand everything, but it took care of her questions about her father.

The years went on, and in addition to learning English, French, and Creole in her Haitian school, N’care came to possess a profound love of art, specifically religious art. Religions fascinated her too, perhaps because she had none of her own. N’care, with her curious nature, learned about religion and Voudoun through books and her friends, most of which practiced Voudoun or were devout Catholics – though some she could have sworn practiced both at the same time.

To her mother’s dismay, N’care at 15, became socially much like she had been, with alcohol and mild drug use starting to “help” her daughter feel like she “fit” in. Monique could see N’care was having trouble feeling like she fit in even though N’care had a special something about her that made her well liked by those around her. Her mother had a difficult time controlling her daughter. N’care was not really meaning to be disrespectful; she just didn’t listen very well when she really wanted to go somewhere or do something. She often found clever means to get her way, like sneaking out and telling little white lies about where she was going and whom she would be with. N’care spent a lot of her free time in the clubs like her mother had when she was younger. She felt normal there, like she belonged. Everywhere else she just felt out of place no matter how much she was liked. N’care was almost 17 when she became pregnant from her own indiscretions. However, her child was not meant to be, as a miscarriage changed her path. After the miscarriage, Monique, attempting to save her daughter from the same fate she had experienced, contacted a friend who got N’care involved in the Catholic Church. Her mother, though not agreeing with the Faith herself, agreed to let her daughter be baptized; anything to help curb N’care’s desires and indiscretions. N’care thought she had conquered her sins with her attention to the Faith, but soon the club and party scene (alcohol and drugs) started to draw her attention again. Secretly she would sneak out a night or two a week for clubbing and then hit confession on Sunday. She just couldn’t help herself regardless of how much she tried and prayed to have her sins released from her desires. She felt cursed with the look of the “good girl” and the tendencies of the “bad girl”. N’care often wondered if she would ever feel like she truly fit in anywhere.

The next couple of years passed, and N’care discovered Spain in one of her classes. Graduation was near, and it was time to give thought to what she wanted to do. It was not a tough decision for her. N’care wanted to leave Haiti for Spain and study art with a minor in religion, and learn Spanish and Latin. She had heard there was a fair share of good nightlife there too, but she kept that to herself when talking to anyone about her plans. A Catholic scholarship and small savings her mother had paved the way to make the trip possible. The next 4 years were pretty uneventful for her, or so she thought. She went to school part-time and got a part-time job working in a museum / art gallery in the Gothic Quarter at night to make some money. N’care’s manager really liked her, and occasionally would comp her tickets to local exhibits and concerts. N’care told her mother the job was to help pay for books that the scholarship didn’t pay for, but in reality it was to fund her club scene and addictions that had gotten a hold of her yet again. In N’care’s mind, confession was still there on Sunday, though she knew that wasn’t how it was supposed to work. It did make her feel better though.

Brigette de l'Artibonite, leader of a cult belonging to the Serpents of the Light, had been stalking N’care for several nights. She heard N’care pray nightly, asking to truly feel like she had a purpose, searching to “fit” somewhere. The lady Cobra was very skilled at Obfuscation, and was able to hide herself well until the fateful night she decided to reveal herself. N’care changed at the end of her shift into her club clothes consisting of a white short skirt with white patten-leather go go boots and a black tube top, braided her hair into two long braids behind each ear. It was about 10:30pm when she left work and headed off to her favorite club for a drink and whatever else happened her way as she had been doing nightly since she had gotten her job. It was nice to have a little money in her pocket to burn as she pleased. She slammed a couple of drinks, and then hit the dance floor to work on her new hustle steps that she had learned from some guy last week. She was dancing with a man when a beautiful woman, announcing herself as Brigette, approached and asked to step in. N’care, caught off guard by the comment, stopped dancing for what seemed the briefest of seconds, but then found herself quite taken with the woman. As the song came to an end and a new one started, Brigette finished introducing herself, showed N’care the corner of a little bag and motioned for her to follow her out back. N’care felt her Catholic lessons pull at her a bit, but “there was always Sunday” she thought. Brigette was very persuasive and in her presence N’care felt a strange sense of belonging; like they were supposed to be together somehow. It was the first time N’care felt like she had a true connection with someone, but how was that possible when this was their first meeting? The thoughts rushed through N’care’s mind like the rapids of a rushing river, then they were gone just as quickly. N’care wasn’t going to miss this feeling she had wanted and prayed for so long, and she was unable to refuse Brigette anyway.

N’care’s eyes were locked on the woman so much so she didn’t notice the group of men coming up the alley toward them. Brigette turned slightly which placed N’care’s back to the approaching group, and she started to take out what N’care had thought was the little white baggy she had seen while on the dance floor. N’care looked up into the beautiful woman’s eyes just in time to see Brigette look past her and nod her head to one side, eyebrows raised. Suddenly N’care felt her two, long braids grabbed harshly. Her eyes terribly wide open in fear, N’care yelled for Brigette to run as the pulling of her braids took her backwards off balance into the arms of a man who gagged her mouth as another scooped her arms up over her head and tied them together at her wrists. At the same time, a different man that looked like he had the skin of a snake, lifted her feet from the pavement and tied them at the ankles as well as her knees, while still another lifted her rear end leaving her suspended in mid air. N’care started to mumble through her gag the Rosary and every prayer she had ever learned from every faith she had ever read about as the men lifted her into the darkness of the back of a van in the alley. They clamped the ropes on her wrists and ankles to metal bars in the middle of the floor. As the whirl of commotion settled in almost pitch darkness in the van, N’care tried to look around to see if she could see Brigette. All she saw was darkness, and the outline of human forms at her feet when a city light happened to sneak through a window and bounce around the interior of the van. N’care then heard a newly familiar voice cut through her prayers coming from just above her head and to the right. “I’ve come to grant your ‘prayers’ tonight N’care. I alone deem you worthy, but you alone will still have to prove your worth.”

The voice was Brigette’s, and her words ushered in a life of darkness blacker than the murkiest corner of the van.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads