D&D 5E Vampire Wish

ManBagel

Messing up everything in DnD since 2019
So I was wondering if as a part of the wish spell I could make it where I can choose to revert someone’s alignment back to before they were a vampire. (So the player has control.) My question now is what would be the wording to do this? Having a party member who is a vampire would be awesome in my opinion since we would have a bat scout, and so on. I was thinking something along the lines of “Any vampire within 60ft of me I can choose to restore there soul and alignment permanently having only the benefits of being a vampire and none of the drawbacks.” Is there a better way to phrase that?

FarBeyondC

Explorer
What caused the alignment change? That is to say, is that a standard part of the vampiric transformation, or something special?

Because the 1st level (ritual) spell Ceremony can restore a willing creature to their original alignment.

ccs

41st lv DM
So I was wondering if as a part of the wish spell I could make it where I can choose to revert someone’s alignment back to before they were a vampire. (So the player has control.) My question now is what would be the wording to do this? Having a party member who is a vampire would be awesome in my opinion since we would have a bat scout, and so on. I was thinking something along the lines of “Any vampire within 60ft of me I can choose to restore there soul and alignment permanently having only the benefits of being a vampire and none of the drawbacks.” Is there a better way to phrase that?

Yep, there sure is.
Try "I WISH..... That ( fill in characters name here ) is now of ( fill in chosen alignment here ) alignment."

Don't try & wish your way around the pros/cons of being a vampire. Don't try & "rules lawyer" the wording of a wish. Don't ask for more than what you actually want/need. Don't try & "game" your DM.
Those are all really good ways to ensure your wish gets screwed with.

ManBagel

Messing up everything in DnD since 2019
Yep, there sure is.
Try "I WISH..... That ( fill in characters name here ) is now of ( fill in chosen alignment here ) alignment."

Don't try & wish your way around the pros/cons of being a vampire. Don't try & "rules lawyer" the wording of a wish. Don't ask for more than what you actually want/need. Don't try & "game" your DM.
So I found out Xanathar has a spell called ceremony in it and it does what I want

Inanity

Explorer
So I found out Xanathar has a spell called ceremony in it and it does what I want
I am glad you found a 'solution' to your query! For what its worth I think it is well within the power of a wish (maybe triggering the 33% chance of NEVER casting again) to ameliorate a vampires bloodlust (forever more and with no penalty at all associated)... This vampire still gains awesome sustenance from mortal (and immortal!) blood but doesnt have an irresistible urge to sink their canines into the jugular of any dude dame or dog that walks by... Maybe this was more of the flavor you were looking for and it is INDEED well within the power of a wish as this is more a flavor or RP or ribbon kind of change to the character and not really at all a substantive POWER INCREASE... but a good old ceremony is also great of course!

Fanaelialae

Legend
I am glad you found a 'solution' to your query! For what its worth I think it is well within the power of a wish (maybe triggering the 33% chance of NEVER casting again) to ameliorate a vampires bloodlust (forever more and with no penalty at all associated)... This vampire still gains awesome sustenance from mortal (and immortal!) blood but doesnt have an irresistible urge to sink their canines into the jugular of any dude dame or dog that walks by... Maybe this was more of the flavor you were looking for and it is INDEED well within the power of a wish as this is more a flavor or RP or ribbon kind of change to the character and not really at all a substantive POWER INCREASE... but a good old ceremony is also great of course!
I don't disagree that a wish (at a risk) could probably ameliorate a vampire's thirst for blood, but it matters less what you or I think and more what the OP's DM thinks. They might feel that the thirst for blood is inherently tied to the curse of vampirism and that no mortal magic can undo such a curse.

My personal lore for vampires doesn't give them an irresistible urge for blood. Rather, they enjoy it and require it for sustenance. Couple this with their evil alignment and most vampires come to see people as walking bags of blood with an amusing penchant for conversation. It's as if though a steak lover lived in a world of sentient cows and viewed all of them as walking, talking filet mignon.

So, IMC, if you can resist the curse sufficiently to avoid the alignment change, you never gain an irresistible urge for blood. You still need it, but you can subsist on animal blood, despite that it isn't appetizing (which for the steak lover in the previous example would be equivalent to forcing themselves to eat a vegan diet). An evil vampire would never choose to do that - it would be like Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec) choosing to eat salad instead of steak.

The point being that IMC if you can fix the alignment, you fix the whole drinking people issue. So, depending on how the OP's DM views vampirism, certain approaches might or might not work.

As an aside, the one issue with the Ceremony spell is that the subject must be willing. Will an evil vampire willingly participate in a ritual intended to restore their goodness? Up to the DM.

Shiroiken

Legend
Don't try & "rules lawyer" the wording of a wish. Don't ask for more than what you actually want/need. Don't try & "game" your DM.
QFT. As a longtime DM I've found that the more players try to manipulate the wish, the greater desire I have to screw with it. One player finally asked why when X player used a wish, nothing bad happened, but it always went wrong when he did. I replied that his wishes were always at least a paragraph long, and one time was 2 pages (also he kept wanting ridiculous things).

Whether the player has control isn't to do with the alignment change to Lawful Evil. The character's alignment could change and the DM could continue to let the player play them.

Note that reversing the vampirism requires a wish spell. For a more powerful effect, such as keeping the physical power of a vampire but removing the psychological downsides, would likely require more powerful magic. A vampire is unlikely to be willing to have such annoying weaknesses as conscience and empathy inflicted upon it again.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Whether the player has control isn't to do with the alignment change to Lawful Evil. The character's alignment could change and the DM could continue to let the player play them.
This. Also the alignment could revert to LG and the DM could still say it is an NPC.

I think that if you want a vampire player character, the better approach is to house rule up a sensible version that keeps you reasonably balanced with the other players. There have been a ton of those in the history of the game. One nice approach is to create a 'vampire' class that you take levels in and graduate gain powers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases