D&D 5E Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft - A Grognard Finally Reads It (Review)

Retreater

Legend
I think 5e adventure settings always risk suffering in comparison to 2e antecedents. This is by design: after they bought TSR, WotC did a forensic analysis of TSR's finances and discovered that all those 2e settings were an albatross for the company. They each became their own game within the game, fragmenting the player base and making it so that almost all of them lost money, despite being beautiful and richly developed. So now WotC tries to keep settings from feeling exclusive from the rest of the game, which tends to make them more generic, and also means that WotC seldom release follow-up books exclusive to a particular setting.
I'm guessing that VRGtR didn't do too well either, just based on my seeing it put on a fire sale for 70% off 18 months after its release and seeing stacks and stacks of it unsold on game store shelves. And Ravenloft was one of their bestselling product lines during that era. And Curse of Strahd is one of the highest regarded 5e adventures.

What might have been a better product? Maybe something like a Tales of the Yawning Portal or Ghosts of Saltmarsh adventure compilation updating those Ravenloft adventures to 5e - for the fans of Curse of Strahd who want more horror-themed games?

OR if you're going to do a campaign setting where the point is to face monsters in their nightmare prisons, you know, give us the stats of the monsters. Give us realistically scaled maps. Give us maybe a few maps of their lairs/castles. Tell us about their entourage of henchmen.

But what we got was a series of articles written by work-for-hire authors, cobbled together in a soulless abomination like Mordenheim's monster.

Last edited:

The Dark Powers checks were fairly arbitrary and rare. The PC commit bloody murder dozens of times and the dice don't care, but this one time the PC steals an apple and that's what gets the DP's attention, because the DM rolled a 3 or less on a d100? Nah. It's actually more appropriate and more fun for the DM to decide when the DPs take notice, or to work it out with the player. I'm doing that now--I've even discussed with the player what they might turn into, if they keep playing their character in an evil-ish way. Curses from the Dark Powers are a powerful roleplaying tool if they aren't left to random chance.

Not weighing in on the OP's points, as I haven't read VgTR and while I had opinions about the news when it was under development, I don't really see the point in challenging peoples subjective like or dislike of the product now that it is out. But I wanted to point out something about Powers Checks. I don't know how this aspect of the game is handled in the new version, and I don't think there is anything wrong with them taking another mechanical or non-mechanical approach to dealing with the corrupting effect of the Dark Powers. In the original Black Box it wasn't arbitrary though (and it got less arbitrary as the line went on because they began to really codify different actions). But generally speaking it was a 1% chance for typical roll and at least a 5 % chance for acts that were completely evil (while also stating that it shouldn't go past 10% for Player characters). Later "Acts of Ultimate Darkness" were introduced which basically meant the act was so egregious they could mean a 100% chance of failure.

While again I wouldn't object to using a different system or going by fiat, I think the old system was one of the best things about the setting. One thing you realize after running a lot of campaigns is 1% actually can come up more often than you would think, but you also realize that the fact that players can get away with evil much of the time, means they tempt fate more (and just for my own personal taste as a GM and player it adds an element of surprise and excitement making it a roll where the outcome isn't known).

The black box basically just had it at default of 1%, but 5% for truly horrible acts, with a cap of 10%. This got expanded in the red box set and by the Domains of Dread Book you had the following table (Believe Red Box had a similar table but don't have that in front of me at the moment):

1672584469121.png

And these were the act of ultimate darkness rules by the DoD book:

1672584505517.png

What exemplifies the general lack of attention and care in the book are the map scales. Granted, this is something I could change easily, but it shows a bizarre absence of understanding of a world.
Most of these domains are tiny, unrealistically so.
  • The "vast deserts" of Har'Akir is 25 miles across. A party can cross the desert in two days.
  • The zombie ravaged domain of Falkovnia is 15 miles across - with mountain ranges spanning 5 miles.
  • The magical wasteland of Hazlan has features separated by 2 miles (a 30 minute trek), where magically-corrupted purple worms slither.
  • Lamordia's Sleeping Beast mountain range "stretches for miles" - 18 miles to be exact.

Again, not weighing on the book, as I haven't read it, but that map scale actually sounds pretty close to the original black box scale (which was 1 inch equalled ten miles). Ravenlof was originally quite small compared to other settings and also designed to have much lower population levels than other settings. Har'Akir I think is about that size give or take in most of 2E Ravenloft (I am just eyeballing it looking at the map so possible I am not 100% spot on here). It is a little hard to be precise looking at the PDF (I have the box on my shelf but don't feel like taking it down). But I would say the Sleeping Beast in the Black Box looks to be roughly 25 miles in length (but it is unevenly shaped so that length could be less depending on where you measure from).

Scale in Ravenloft was always a major point of contention and debate for people. The Black Box had a pretty small scale, which I thought worked because it made it less epic fantasy and much more intimate and provincial. I believe the Domain of Dread Book also used a 10 mile scale but the map distances may not have been the same as the black box. Pretty sure the d20 version established an idea that distances were malleable and subjective (I thought this was interesting and kind of in keeping with the concept of Ravenloft but made everything too 'nightmare lands' (the original nightmare lands from the black box).

Again not weighing in on the book itself, but this honestly sounds like more of a return to the original black box's intention in terms of scale (which I felt worked beautifully in practice). That was always a source of debate though as some people found it unrealistic (personally I felt it worked fine for a demiplane purgatory).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Again, not weighing on the book, as I haven't read it, but that map scale actually sounds pretty close to the original black box scale (which was 1 inch equalled ten miles). Ravenlof was originally quite small compared to other settings and also designed to have much lower population levels than other settings. Har'Akir I think is about that size give or take in most of 2E Ravenloft (I am just eyeballing it looking at the map so possible I am not 100% spot on here).
Here's what it looks like after joining the Amber Wastes cluster (from Domains of Dread):

Amber-Wastes.jpg

Retreater

Legend
Again, not weighing on the book, as I haven't read it, but that map scale actually sounds pretty close to the original black box scale (which was 1 inch equalled ten miles). Ravenlof was originally quite small compared to other settings and also designed to have much lower population levels than other settings. Har'Akir I think is about that size give or take in most of 2E Ravenloft (I am just eyeballing it looking at the map so possible I am not 100% spot on here). It is a little hard to be precise looking at the PDF (I have the box on my shelf but don't feel like taking it down). But I would say the Sleeping Beast in the Black Box looks to be roughly 25 miles in length (but it is unevenly shaped so that length could be less depending on where you measure from).
I'll take your word on that. I have the red box (which I think is the revised version from 2E), and its scale is 1 inch = 100 miles.
The map in that one shows the Sleeping Beast mountains as about 150 miles and Falkovnia being 350 miles across (hardly able to be crossed within a day).
I think that these distances are more effective at conveying a sense of isolation and dread. Also, they make more narrative sense for what is described in the authors' text in VRGtR. Mountains that stretch for "miles" - yeah, technically that can be 18 miles, but that's not usually how the expression is used.

I'll take your word on that. I have the red box (which I think is the revised version from 2E), and its scale is 1 inch = 100 miles.
The map in that one shows the Sleeping Beast mountains as about 150 miles and Falkovnia being 350 miles across (hardly able to be crossed within a day).
I think that these distances are more effective at conveying a sense of isolation and dread.

I do remember the scale shifting over time and think that change was one of the things that helped establish the divide over scale. But you can see the scale from the black box in the hex sheet I posted above and here:

1672586329308.png

1672586300874.png

And the Domains of Dread:

1672586382274.png

Some people will prefer the larger scale. I think that is fine. It is a subjective thing. But I was just pointing out that those scales are faithful to the original black box (which I think means you really can't file it under lack of attention or care to map scale (they are just going back to the original intent).

Remove ads