D&D 5E Variant 5e?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But that is how I run things now with no changes. My group can't just take a short or long rest whenever and where ever they want. They are lucky to get one per day, and they can't long rest in a dungeon. I am already making it harder this way (if I am understanding you correctly - which I'm not sure I am based on our exchanges). I am not seeing how your suggestion changes anything (for me and my group) except the time the actual time between the rests which makes no real difference unless I want it to (as the DM). To clarify, I realize has this might change how some people play, but I don't how this would be any harder for my group. If they recover of 1 day or 1 week in a town doesn't really make it harder (unless I want it to be harder). Now, with spells I see that can change somewhat, but again that is all about pacing which I control as a DM regardless of how long a short or long rest is.
Wait, so you’re saying you already only allow short rests very rarely during adventures, and long rests during the time between adventures? Because if so, that would explain why you’re not seeing how my suggestions would change anything, since I’m suggesting something you are already doing. And second of all, I am very confused what you think reducing the amount of healing these different rest types provide will accomplish.

I agree, so why are you suggesting 1 short rest per day and 1 long rest per week if it is irrelevant?
I’m not. Have you not been reading my parentheticals? The whole point of my suggestion is that the amount of time one must rest for doesn’t matter, what matters is the conditions under which one can rest. What I’m suggesting is limiting the number of short rests, such that the players get one at the end of each adventuring day (doesn’t matter how long it takes at that point), and restricting long rests, such that they can only occur between adventures.

The conditions can be controlled whether it is 1 or 4 or 8 encounters without changing the rest mechanic.
I don’t understand this sentence.

I feel like the internet is getting in our way here. I think we just have to accept what works for us and move on. I do have a suspicion that we are really close to saying the same thing, just filter through the viewpoint of our own experience.
Possibly? Though, if you’re already keeping short rests to one per adventuring day and long rests between adventures, that just shifts my suggestion of how to up the difficulty - make short rests only possible between (i.e. only during downtime) and long rests only possible after completing major campaign goals. The core argument is the same: to up the difficulty of D&D, increase the scope of gameplay over which the players are expected to manage their resources.

dave2008

Legend
Wait, so you’re saying you already only allow short rests very rarely during adventures, and long rests during the time between adventures? Because if so, that would explain why you’re not seeing how my suggestions would change anything, since I’m suggesting something you are already doing. And second of all, I am very confused what you think reducing the amount of healing these different rest types provide will accomplish.
Functionally yes, but not technically. It is just they things tend to end up. My group can take more short rests if the opportunity arises, but such chances are rare for them. And depending on the type of adventure, a long rest almost always has to be in safe zone (never a hostile dungeon or wilderness, but sometimes a neutral wilderness)

I’m not. Have you not been reading my parentheticals? The whole point of my suggestion is that the amount of time one must rest for doesn’t matter, what matters is the conditions under which one can rest. What I’m suggesting is limiting the number of short rests, such that the players get one at the end of each adventuring day (doesn’t matter how long it takes at that point), and restricting long rests, such that they can only occur between adventures.
Yep, that is essentially what we are doing. So what I am trying to do is make that style of play harder. I don't know what I was saying in the snip you quoted, I can't follow myself at this point!

I don’t understand this sentence.
I don't know either - I'm brunt out!

Possibly? Though, if you’re already keeping short rests to one per adventuring day and long rests between adventures, that just shifts my suggestion of how to up the difficulty - make short rests only possible between (i.e. only during downtime) and long rests only possible after completing major campaign goals. The core argument is the same: to up the difficulty of D&D, increase the scope of gameplay over which the players are expected to manage their resources.
I can see where you going, but that doesn't fit the idea of a long rest for us, a bit forced IMO. I want to find a way to make it harder with the general style of resting we already have. I finally think we understand each other, I just want something different than your suggestion. I appreciate you contining to beat this dead horse ;)

Remove ads