variant psion

RHM

First Post
RaZZer99 said:
Why is it you think Psions need more than one exceptional ability score? Wizards don't get every 9th level spell, so why should Psion's have access to all 9th level powers? A nomad with only exceptionally good dex will do just fine, and there are plenty of powers from his specialization. At their highest levels, Psions only know at most 5 powers per given level. They aren't going to run out of choices. And lets face it, most characters atleast have a few pretty good stats (one high level, couple of 13-15 ish ones) so they will have access to some mid level powers of other specializations.

First, unless they specialize, wizards can learn every 9th-level spell. It's just a matter of them writing each one in their spellbook. Second, sorcerers can also learn any spell they wish to (up to their limit of spells known, of course) from any school of magic. Third, a psion who is good at only a few things gets pretty boring. The other "spellcasting" classes are much more versatile in this respect. A couple 13-15ish scores beyond his highest stat? Maybe with 32 point buy, but even then, you'll be sacrificing having even mediocre scores in the three remaining abilities.

32 point buy for egoist:
STR 15 -> 8 points -> boosted every 4 levels
DEX 12 -> 4 points
CON 12 -> 4 points
INT 14 -> 6 points
WIS 12 -> 4 points
CHA 14 -> 6 points

.: The 20th-level egoist probably won't know any powers above 4th level outside of his primary discipline.

And yes this is the house rules forum, and you can change whatever you want as you see fit for your game. But you did ask for opinions, and I'm giving you one. The reasons you state for changing the psion don't seem very credible. And your psion feels like WotC's psion except truncated into the role of a mentalist, which is fine if thats the flavor you want.

Alright, how about this question then: Do you consider my variant balanced? Also, I think my reasons are very credible. You don't. That's cool. Let me outline my reasons:
  1. I don't think psionic powers should be tied to physical stats, with the exception of gaining bonus PP for a high Constitution. As far as I'm concerned, psionics are about shaping reality to fit one's will, not about flexing your muscles so you can grow claws, heal, or whatever.
  2. Plain and simple, a lack of versatility. The psion as written is pretty one-note. Not every campaign uses 32 point buy, you know.
  3. I've dumped subclasses because some were just "better" than others. Better powers, better skills, just plain better. What's the point of having a subclass if no one's going to play it?
  4. Underpowered. You don't think so, though, do you?
  5. Not really a reason, but I implore you to go and do some reading in the official Psionics forum on the Wizards site. Plenty of other people there aren't satisfied with psions either. There are pages upon pages of posts on the subject. Even Bruce Cordell himself has releases variant rules to address some issues people have had concerns with.
    [/list=1]

Psychometabolism was originally linked to Con before the final draft, but was moved to Str so TK could be linked to Con. For balance reasons, every category needed an attribute. And Str seems just fine for Psychometabolism. If the name is bother you so much, change it to Psychomorphism or something.

Why is it undead can't use powers from the psychometabolism discipline? Oh, yeah, that's right! They don't have a metabolism. (p. 140, PsiHB and the errata that accompanies it.)

You are right, strength doesn't seem to jive with the powers of your mind, but thats only if you take the narrow view of psionics should be telekinetics and telepathy. I think of Psionics as more as the power of the human body (sorry demihumans ;) ). Through intense focus and training with one particular aspect of your body, you can expand its boundaries of normal human limits.

Which is why my variant psion gains bonus PP from a high CON in addition to bonus points from WIS. It has nothing to do with my "narrow view".

Vernable age? I don't think many players use characters who are 70+ years of age. And you might rule that such aging effects don't affect the Egoist since he in tune with his body so much. An egoist could probably find immortality through use of his powers.

How convenient. Let's just give psions Timeless Body at 5th level, or better yet, immortality. :p My point is, a campaign world and a game system requires a certain amount of synchroneity. Characters do age. There will be 70+ year old psions in the world. Does it make sense that there will be plenty of very old high-level, powerful NPC seers, telepaths, and shapers in that world, but no nomads, egoists, or savants of comparable age and power? Not to me.

Infinite Monkey

First Post
SOLUTION

Go to www.montecook.com
By 'If thoughts could kill'. $5 = cheap at twice the price.
Read 'If thoughts could kill'.
Use Power scaling, secondary disciplines and varitan powers discovered variant rules. (written by the guy that wrote 3E psionics, so they work good).
Rejoice in warm glow of solved problem.

:) :) :) :)

RaZZer99

First Post
RHM said:
First, unless they specialize, wizards can learn every 9th-level spell. It's just a matter of them writing each one in their spellbook. Second, sorcerers can also learn any spell they wish to (up to their limit of spells known, of course) from any school of magic. Third, a psion who is good at only a few things gets pretty boring. The other "spellcasting" classes are much more versatile in this respect. A couple 13-15ish scores beyond his highest stat? Maybe with 32 point buy, but even then, you'll be sacrificing having even mediocre scores in the three remaining abilities.

32 point buy for egoist:
STR 15 -> 8 points -> boosted every 4 levels
DEX 12 -> 4 points
CON 12 -> 4 points
INT 14 -> 6 points
WIS 12 -> 4 points
CHA 14 -> 6 points

.: The 20th-level egoist probably won't know any powers above 4th level outside of his primary discipline.

Technically wizards can get all 9th level spells, but realisticly 9th levels spells don't grow on trees. Unless you're handing out them out like advertisement flyers, wizards wouldn't have much more than 8 of them. The flexibility of the Psion's PP make them even more versatile than a sorcerer, and thats why they are limited even more so than the sorcerer. You also forget the fact that Psions have twice as many skill points and much better skills selection as the Wizard or Sorcerer. They can provide benefit to the party even after they "run out of spells"

As for your stats there, you're watering your psion down too much trying to get something from every stat. You can either dabble in everything, or you can concentrate on one, two, or even three specific areas. This was how the psion was designed. They are not meant to get every power under the sun.

RHM said:
Plain and simple, a lack of versatility. The psion as written is pretty one-note. Not every campaign uses 32 point buy, you know.

If you think psions are limited then by your same reasoning a fighter lacks versatility. All they can do is fight really good. Yes, not every campaign has 32 point buy, but the psion is not anymore stat dependent than other classes.

RHM said:
I've dumped subclasses because some were just "better" than others. Better powers, better skills, just plain better. What's the point of having a subclass if no one's going to play it?

Underpowered. You don't think so, though, do you?

Plain better? How so? I think that would depend entirely on the type of campaign you run. If its purely combat, then perhaps a seer would have a hard time. If you play more role playing, then an egoist might have just as hard of a time.

Psions may be a tad underpowered, but not nearly enough to make playing the class any less enjoyable. Heck, people debate that Bards and Sorcerers are underpowered. It all comes down to your campaign, and if you feel they need some more beef then by all means go for it. But thinking from a strictly standard campaign style portrayed in the core books, Psionics are just fine.

In fact if you look at some of their 9th level powers, they are quite impressive. Can wizards create their own demiplanes? Permanent slaves? Heal themselves? Emmulate any power up to 8th level? Lift 10 tons at long range?

RHM said:
Why is it undead can't use powers from the psychometabolism discipline? Oh, yeah, that's right! They don't have a metabolism. (p. 140, PsiHB and the errata that accompanies it.)

Thats a minor nit pick. If I could rewrite that, I'd probably just say undead couldn't use psionics at all because of the corruption of their body.

RHM said:
How convenient. Let's just give psions Timeless Body at 5th level, or better yet, immortality. My point is, a campaign world and a game system requires a certain amount of synchroneity. Characters do age. There will be 70+ year old psions in the world. Does it make sense that there will be plenty of very old high-level, powerful NPC seers, telepaths, and shapers in that world, but no nomads, egoists, or savants of comparable age and power? Not to me.

There is nothing wrong with ruling that egoists and nomads don't have aging modifiers. A minor fix for a minor problem. You're just being stubborn is all.

I think the point to all this is the term psionics means different things to different people. WotC can't satisfy everyone's imagination. To you it seems psionics should mean mind powers like telekinesis and telepathy only. You also seem to want the psion class to resemble the wizard in almost all respects (which BTW makes him feel pretty boring IMHO). This is fine if thats what you want.

In regards to your revised psion I think its entirely too powerful. They have access to all powers with only one stat and have scaling damage. They would just kill sorcerers. To tone them down I have a few suggestions. Eliminate the psychometabolism and psychoportation categories entirely. Lump Psychokinesis with Metacreativity and base it off Int. Lump Telepathy with Clairsentience and base it on Wis. Remove scalable damage.

RHM

First Post
I've presented just about all I care to on this subject. No point repeating myself, right? But here we go one more time...

Originally posted by RaZZer99
Technically wizards can get all 9th level spells, but realisticly 9th levels spells don't grow on trees. Unless you're handing out them out like advertisement flyers, wizards wouldn't have much more than 8 of them. The flexibility of the Psion's PP make them even more versatile than a sorcerer, and thats why they are limited even more so than the sorcerer. You also forget the fact that Psions have twice as many skill points and much better skills selection as the Wizard or Sorcerer. They can provide benefit to the party even after they "run out of spells"

The fact remains wizards have the opportunity to learn every spell given the time and money. In a high-magic world or even within a small group of mages, it wouldn't be all that uncommon for a wizard to have a fairly huge spellbook. Check out the web enhancement for Tome & Blood for an example.

The "flexibility" you speak of is a bonus but they do have a limited number of PP. They can only throw so many of their highest-level power. For example, before bonus PP are calculated, a 20-th level psion can manifest 10 9th-level powers and a final 7th-level one, but that's it. An equal-level sorcerer can cast at least 6 spells per day...from each level. Are the 4 extra 9th-level manifestations (and the sole 7th-level power) a psion can use per day equatable to the 216 spells levels a sorcerer gets in addition to his 9th-level spells? I think you know my answer. I don't consider the ability to use a bunch of low-level powers per day all that relevant since the save DCs and effects of these powers are fairly inconsequential against high-level foes.

I'm not forgetting that official psions have twice as many skill points, either. My variant has the exact same number and his class skills closely mirror what the wizard or sorcerer receives.

As for your stats there, you're watering your psion down too much trying to get something from every stat. You can either dabble in everything, or you can concentrate on one, two, or even three specific areas. This was how the psion was designed. They are not meant to get every power under the sun.

But sorcerers can learn a wide variety of spells from any school at any level. Not just one or two. Yes, I know how psions were designed. I changed it. If you noticed, my table of powers know actually matches that of the sorcerer. I'm not at all bothered by the fact that my variant psion may be better off than the sorcerer. As others have pointed out, sorcerers aren't all that great, anyway, compared to their wizardly counterparts.

If you think psions are limited then by your same reasoning a fighter lacks versatility. All they can do is fight really good. Yes, not every campaign has 32 point buy, but the psion is not anymore stat dependent than other classes.

No, that is not my reasoning. Compared to spellcasters, they are more stat dependent.

Psions may be a tad underpowered, but not nearly enough to make playing the class any less enjoyable. Heck, people debate that Bards and Sorcerers are underpowered. It all comes down to your campaign, and if you feel they need some more beef then by all means go for it. But thinking from a strictly standard campaign style portrayed in the core books, Psionics are just fine.

I agree, psionics as written would still be fun to play. My gripe is with the relative lack of power.

In fact if you look at some of their 9th level powers, they are quite impressive. Can wizards create their own demiplanes? Permanent slaves? Heal themselves? Emmulate any power up to 8th level? Lift 10 tons at long range?

Wish. 'Nuff said.

I think the point to all this is the term psionics means different things to different people. WotC can't satisfy everyone's imagination. To you it seems psionics should mean mind powers like telekinesis and telepathy only. You also seem to want the psion class to resemble the wizard in almost all respects (which BTW makes him feel pretty boring IMHO). This is fine if thats what you want.

I don't think psionics should just mean telepathy and telekinesis. I've been playing psionic characters since the days of 2nd edition, ever since I got my hands on the Complete Psionics Handbook back in '92. Psionics in 2e were more than just TK and ESP. What I'm saying is, like 2e, a psion's powers are a direct result of his mind's (not his body's) capability to draw upon an inner mental strength to manipulate his body and the world around him. A tough and healthy body helps this process, but it's primarily a mental effort.

In my opinion, the way psionics is structured (i.e. power levels) leaves no other choice but for psions to mirror wizards. Boring? Yeah, maybe a little, but I feel I'm forced to take this approach. I think the variety of psionic powers make up for it, though.

In regards to your revised psion I think its entirely too powerful. They have access to all powers with only one stat and have scaling damage.

Yes, just like every other spell-using class.

Eliminate the psychometabolism and psychoportation categories entirely. Lump Psychokinesis with Metacreativity and base it off Int. Lump Telepathy with Clairsentience and base it on Wis.

I'm not looking to eliminate any of the disciplines, or combine any of them either.

One stat to rule them all! ;)

Remove scalable damage.

You know what, I've actually done the math on this one. I don't know why it was dropped. I honestly don't see the problem, especially when I'm using the divine spellcasters' table. Free scaling for psions leaves them pretty much neck and neck with the sorcerer. Short run? Maybe slightly above. Long run? Slightly below. Feel free to do your own number crunching and draw your own conclusions.

I've put in the leg work. This isn't something I just whipped up. In fact, I've probably spent more time than it's worth on this, but it's my game and I probably appreciate psionics more than the average D&D player does. If others want to use my variant, that's fine too.

If I come across a problem in my variant's design during gameplay, trust me, it will be adjusted.

One final note: You do realize a lot of the things you've suggested modify the existing psionic system, right? Ruling out undead using psionics is pretty major and goes against precedent set by pre-existing editions. Additionally, saying egoists and nomads don't receive aging penalties isn't "a minor fix" in my opinion. Druids don't receive this class ability until 15th-level. Monks don't until 17th.

With that, I'm outta here! Been nice debating with you, but I have a feeling nothing I say is going to change your mind about my variant and I haven't really been swayed by anything you've said either. No point tripping over ourselves. :)

Thanks and good gaming.

p.s. I strongly suggest you check out the Psi Forums on the Wizards site and MonteCook.com.

RHM

First Post
Made some more adjustments to my variant early this morning. I tweaked the max damage dice table so that now it's a bit funky-looking, but a little more balanced from level to level. Gone are the extra feats and the primary discipline "free" point idea. So basically, it's left with the following changes from the original class:
  1. WIS is the sole primary stat. It determines max power levels and save DCs versus the psion's powers.
  2. Bonus power points are gained from both high WIS and CON scores.
  3. The "Powers Known" table now looks like the sorcerer's.
  4. Added the Mental Sanctum class ability. (+2 to saves vs. mind-affecting effects)
  5. Dropped psionic combat for now.
  6. Mind blast is now a 4th-level power from the Telepathy discipline.
  7. Last but not least, a free scaling table for psionic damage-dealing powers.
    [/list=1]

Remove ads