D&D General Vecna and Kas and the Book of Vile Darkness. WotC lore you should know.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, OK, that's more what I'd call an "oblique" reference than an explicit one...

Of course, I assume at this point that's just one particular Vecna's success. Maybe the others are all slackers.
Yeah, the multiverse Echoes angle opens up a lot of possibilities for the D&D team to make creative use of major characters, and offer them up in playable formats.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah, the multiverse Echoes angle opens up a lot of possibilities for the D&D team to make creative use of major characters, and offer them up in playable formats.
It certainly could explain the discrepancy between 5e Acererak as an "archlich" and pre-5e Acererak as a demilich. Perhaps they're echoes of each other rather than the same character.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Siderant: Why does "Archlich" sometimes mean "Lich, but not evil" and other times mean "Super-duper powerful lich"? The latter makes a lot more sense than the former (D&D's Archfiends, Archfey, Archangels are all super powerful versions of the usual member of that creature type), but the fact that there's two different meanings to one type of monster annoys me to no end.

Weiley31

Legend
Not just the 2014 PHB, Descent into Avernus actually references Vecna's apotheosis on Exandria explicitly.

Hmm, it does? I don't see that offhand... have a page reference?
Arkhan the Cruel is currently canon within 5E DND. Like legit outside of Critical Role. He jacked Vecna's hand (by cutting his own off and attaching it to his own stump) and then hightailed it outta there via a portal after Vox Machina's fight with an Ascended Vecna. Now he and his Dark Order are currently stationed within Avernus with Arkhan trying to learn to master The Hand of Vecna in order to use it to liberate Tiamat from the Nine Hells.

Meanwhile, Vecna's about to get into a fight with a bunch of kids...

Weiley31

Legend

My personal favourite Vecna art is his 4e one with the spectral eye and hand

Vecna.png
I'll admit that I love his 4E/Critical Role look the best. This premium statue looks like something that would be one of Vecna's more recent Avatars.

Remove ads