D&D General Vecna and Kas and the Book of Vile Darkness. WotC lore you should know.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. - The Necromancer's Mantra
I like this idea. It also would play well with my plan of running Phandelver in Greyhawk. The problem is that Vecna would feel shoehorned into Forgotten Realms. Szass Tam fills the mastermind chess playing lich for FR and would tie in with the movie.
Acererak was shoehorned into the Forgotten Realms in Tomb of Annihilation, and it's a pretty popular 5e adventure, so I don't think that would be a problem for the majority of players or WotC.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Acererak was shoehorned into the Forgotten Realms in Tomb of Annihilation, and it's a pretty popular 5e adventure, so I don't think that would be a problem for the majority of players or WotC.
Acererak is exactly my concern for using Vecna. ToA is a decent adventure, cultural issues aside, but Acererak is a generic villain. Why not use the actual history and setting available villains? Save Vecna for Planescape or gasp Greyhawk. Do not turn him generic. Equally, if they did use Szass Tam, do not make him a generic lich dude either. Lean into the history and lore.

Hasn't Acererak become a vestige? 3.5 Ed Tome of Magic pag 19. And I warn the very-smart layout of this book had to be imitated in the 5ed style.

My crazy intution says Vecna hasn't said his last word about the dark powers and the demiplane of the dread (Ravenloft), even Vecna would dare to create his own "demiplane of dread" to take revenge against previous enemies, or some domains as "buckups" in the space-time continium to avoid time-paradoxes caused by chronomancers and company, or to keep prisons who are reincarnated into new lives forgetting totally their past, because they are very dangerous, but also potentially useful as a joker-card against other enemy in the future. This "demiplane of the torments" would be within the plane of the mirrors, or only can be found by means in a secret planar-portal within the plane of the mirrors. One of these torment domains would be a grimmer rip-off of Fortnite: Battle Royal. Other torment domain would be almost a time-loop. Everything is normal until a zombie-apocalypse starts, but the fallen victims returns to the past, with all the memories, maybe stronger thanks the experience, but usually suffering post-traume stress. Most of the times they are await this zombie outbreak, but this doesn't happen.... until any week laters, or a couple of months. Then they are enough ready, and even they don't fear the death, but the suffering causes injuries in the soul.

If Vecna is now one of the most known D&D villains thanks "Stranger Things" I guess Hasbro will want more "product emplacement" in the Netflix series.

I wonder if 5 Ed is ready for a "for mature audence" sourcebook as a "Vecna's Book of Vile Darkness" or a "Azalin's Libris Mortis". Maybe is +16 instead only +18 to avoid censure in other countries.

The 5Ed version of Vecna is the best design, but I would add an crystal-eye and a prothestic gaulent to give a more dreadful image.

What about Kas the vampire? The last one I read about him this has become a vestige in Dragon Magazine. If vampires enjoy regeneration then Vecna could creat lots of Kas' eyes and hands to take revenga against his betray.

Remove ads