• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Vecna Eve of Ruin: Everything You Need To Know

WotC has posted a video telling you 'everything you need to know' about Vecna: Eve Of Ruin.

WotC has posted a 19-minute video telling you 'everything you need to know' about Vecna: Eve Of Ruin.
  • Starts at 10th level, goes to 20th.
  • Classic villains and setting, famous characters, D&D's legacy.
  • Vecna wants to become the supreme being of the multiverse.
  • Vecna is a god of secrets and secrets and the power of secrets are a theme throughout the book.
  • A mechanical subsystem for using the power of secrets during combat.
  • Going back to Ravenloft, the Nine Hells, places where 5th Edition has been in the last 10 years.
  • It would be a fun 'meta experience' for players to visit locations they remember lore about.
  • Finding pieces of the Rod of Seven Parts, pieces throughout the multiverse.
  • Each piece in one of seven distinct planes or settings.
  • Allustriel Silverhand has noticed something is wrong, puts call out to Tasha and Mordenkainen, who come to her sanctum in Sigil.
  • The (10th level) PCs are fated to confront Vecna.
  • Lord Soth and Strahd show up. Tiamat is mentioned but doesn't appear 'on screen'.
  • Twists, turns, spoilers.
  • It's a 'love letter to D&D'.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.01.41.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.01.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.04.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.03.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.06.12.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.06.57.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.07.24.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.08.29.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.09.26.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.10.02.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.10.52.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.13.06.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.18.47.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.21.31.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.22.34.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.27.33.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.28.15.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.29.02.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.30.14.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.31.45.png
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.31.14.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.33.25.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.34.07.png

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 23.36.02.png

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Just to confirm, you're saying HotDQ is a good linear adventure (guess I'm checking for sarcasm...)?
It's one of my top adventures of all time.

It doesn't fit every DM, but it fit me really well.

Look at Castle Naerytar, where the players can do a frontal assault, try to start a revolt, disguise themselves, sneak in, etc.

I've run the adventure three times at this point, and each time has gone very differently.

Cheers,
Merric

If you don't want a linear adventure, don't get it.

If you don't want an adventure where you get the parts of the Rod of Seven Parts, don't get it.

(Gathering the parts of the Rod has been a linear exercise since it was first introduced in 1976 - each part only points to the next larger one. The last does not point to the first.)
Or if you like your D&D grounded low magic and low stakes. It's for people who like their D&D like Avengers: Endgame, not for people who prefer Game of Thrones.

But then you really don't need a review to tell you that.

BeachRat88

Explorer
I understood that, I just meant that even if 7 pointed to 1 it would still be linear. It sounded like that would make it non-linear

"Gathering the parts of the Rod has been a linear exercise since it was first introduced in 1976 - each part only points to the next larger one. The last does not point to the first."
I'm working on making this adventure more open and less linear. Thankfully, my EoR campaign won't start for several months while we continue/wrap up our current campaigns... so I have time to work this out!

My initial thoughts are..

Before I get started on my thoughts,
I'm probably going to move Kas to his own separate thread. I don't like his current place in the narrative but definitely believe he should be working to thwart/supplant Vecna. I'll probably make him focus of one of the Piece quests.

Ok... (apologies for its rambling nature but it is essentially a stream of consciousness!)
It's too convenient in my mind for Kas (and therefore the players) to know where the 1st piece is immediately and doing so also robs the players of much of their decision making power. Give that, I'm planning to mix up the locations for the Rod pieces and have them start with hints/pointers to the the 7th piece. Doing this will force them to have to figure out how to find the other parts and to decide how to go about retrieving them.

How might they do that? It occurs to me that Asmodeus's influence, and the Nine Hells, is noticeably absent. Vecna's and the various demons' plans would tip the balance of the Blood War (and Law vs Chaos) if successful. Therefore, it makes sense for the devils (who are also somewhat "champions" of law) to be working against the chaos that Vecna and the demons are wreaking and planning to wreak. It's plausible that Asmodeus's minions might have knowledge of the location of a piece or two but that retrieving it will require even higher level PCs and the risk of the fine print of a contract.

I'm also considering adding one or more of the Hounds of Law. They could present another opportunity for the players to learn the locations of some of the other pieces and also preliminary knowledge of the threat level involved in retrieving them.

In short, rather than giving the party the location of piece 1 and setting them off down the tracks, I'm going to give them knowledge of where to get the 7th and then the task/choice of figuring out where to go next. In the next steps, they'll determine the location of a couple more of the pieces but also the risk/threat involved in obtaining them. At this point they'll be faced with the choice of going after the 1st given its extreme level of difficulty, or following their leads to the more achievable 3rd/4th pieces.

Anyways, this is what I've come up with as of now. Any comments, suggestions or ideas are most definitely welcome!

Last edited:

In the structurally very similar Doctor Who: Key to Time arc, whilst the Doctor, acting for the White Guardian, searches for the segments in order, the agent of the black guardian locates the final segment and waits for the Doctor to turn up with the other five.

Also, the Black Guardian impersonates the White in an attempt to trick the Doctor into handing over the competed Key.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
In the structurally very similar Doctor Who: Key to Time arc, whilst the Doctor, acting for the White Guardian, searches for the segments in order, the agent of the black guardian locates the final segment and waits for the Doctor to turn up with the other five.

Also, the Black Guardian impersonates the White in an attempt to trick the Doctor into handing over the competed Key.
Which Doctor was this? I'm only really familiar with 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14.

Hmm, actually disguising the pieces of the Rod like the pieces of the Key were, and only revealing themselves when touched by the Rod, would be an additional interesting wrinkle. Especially if the final piece of the Rod, like the final piece of the Key, were an actual living person, just for the moral dilemma.

For more info on the Key to Time season, read about it here:

Doctor Who season 16 - Wikipedia

I, too, as others have said, do think it rather convenient that Mordenkainen/Kas knows the location of the first piece. I'd send the party on a quick side-quest to the Elemental Plane of Air (like Pandemonium, it would be interesting to send the party to a plane that's not commonly visited) to meet the Wind Dukes, who can give them some sort of location device (this again hearkens back to the Key to Time). And maybe they'll do it for an additional side quest - maybe even said item has been stolen and the party needs to re-acquire it. Or actually, they don't have such a device, but can make one, and they send the party, say, to the neighboring Frostfell/Paraelemental Plane of Ice to gather a piece of pure elemental ice, guarded by creatures such as winter wolves, frost giants, and perhaps white dragon.

Last edited:

BeachRat88

Explorer
I'm working on making this adventure more open and less linear. Thankfully, my EoR campaign won't start for several months while we continue/wrap up our current campaigns... so I have time to work this out!

My initial thoughts are..

Before I get started on my thoughts,
I'm probably going to move Kas to his own separate thread. I don't like his current place in the narrative but definitely believe he should be working to thwart/supplant Vecna. I'll probably make him focus of one of the Piece quests.

Ok... (apologies for its rambling nature but it is essentially a stream of consciousness!)
It's too convenient in my mind for Kas (and therefore the players) to know where the 1st piece is immediately and doing so also robs the players of much of their decision making power. Give that, I'm planning to mix up the locations for the Rod pieces and have them start with hints/pointers to the the 7th piece. Doing this will force them to have to figure out how to find the other parts and to decide how to go about retrieving them.

How might they do that? It occurs to me that Asmodeus's influence, and the Nine Hells, is noticeably absent. Vecna's and the various demons' plans would tip the balance of the Blood War (and Law vs Chaos) if successful. Therefore, it makes sense for the devils (who are also somewhat "champions" of law) to be working against the chaos that Vecna and the demons are wreaking and planning to wreak. It's plausible that Asmodeus's minions might have knowledge of the location of a piece or two but that retrieving it will require even higher level PCs and the risk of the fine print of a contract.

I'm also considering adding one or more of the Hounds of Law. They could present another opportunity for the players to learn the locations of some of the other pieces and also preliminary knowledge of the threat level involved in retrieving them.

In short, rather than giving the party the location of piece 1 and setting them off down the tracks, I'm going to give them knowledge of where to get the 7th and then the task/choice of figuring out where to go next. In the next steps, they'll determine the location of a couple more of the pieces but also the risk/threat involved in obtaining them. At this point they'll be faced with the choice of going after the 1st given its extreme level of difficulty, or following their leads to the more achievable 3rd/4th pieces.

Anyways, this is what I've come up with as of now. Any comments, suggestions or ideas are most definitely welcome!

I forgot to mention that this also necessitates
making the Rod a more crucial element of defeating Vecna's ritual. That shouldn't be too difficult given its nature as an instrument of law vs chaos.

I haven't seen that Doctor Who episode, but those are some very interesting ideas! Not surprising given it was written by Adams! On the other hand, I think I'm leaning towards a more traditional depiction of the Rod in my campaign. A couple of my players have read Niles' "Rod of Seven Parts" book and really enjoyed it.

Remove ads

Remove ads