D&D 5E Versatile Fighting Style

i_dont_meta

Explorer
On your turn use a Bonus Action to grant yourself either a +1 to melee weapon attacks or a +1 AC until the start of your next turn.

If this has already been threaded and necroed please ignore.

If not I'd love some feedback.

Shiroiken

Legend
Are you referring to a generally versatile style, or something for versatile weapons? For versatile weapons, it's been tossed around a lot of different ways, but AFAIK no one has hit the right spot. For just a general style, I think the bonus action isn't necessary, just a choice at the start of your turn. I think most people would prefer +1 attack than +1 AC, because most people prefer to be aggressive than defensive, but in general I think most people will not switch between the two very often.

The issues with Versatile weapons is that using them two-handed generally cannot compete either with using them 1-handed with better AC and damage from shield and duellist style, or using a proper Heavy and/or Reach two-handed weapon with the feats that can take advantage of them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As a Fighting Style there should be no bonus action cost since others don't use it.

Otherwise, this is superior to Defense, which requires armor and grants the +1 AC bump. With this you would not need armor and could get +1 to attack rolls when you needed that instead.

Maybe a style where you can give versatile weapons when wielding with two hands either the finesse or heavy property?

This would benefit the wielder by allowing them:
1. to use DEX instead of STR with weapons like a longsword or battleaxe, and
2. to benefit from GWM (which requires "heavy" weapons for part of it) with a longsword or battleaxe.

I would write it up as:

Versatile Fighting
When you are wielding a versatile weapon with two hands and take the Attack action, you can choose either of the following benefits:
1. You gain a +1 attack bonus and the weapon gains the finesse property.
2. You gain a +1 damage bonus and the weapon gains the heavy property.
3. (OPTIONAL?) You gain a +1 bonus to your armor class on the next melee attack made against you before the start of your next turn.

The +1 attack bonus is inferior to Archery's +2, and the +1 damage bonus is inferior to Dueling's +2 but you have the choice from round to round. It also allows weapons such as the battleaxe and longsword to gain properties that can be useful in other ways.

I think that would be a good balance personally. I added option #3 if you still want an AC boosting option (you could probably even bump it to a +2 bonus to AC...), which is reasonable and in line with your OP.

The issues with Versatile weapons is that using them two-handed generally cannot compete either with using them 1-handed with better AC and damage from shield and duellist style, or using a proper Heavy and/or Reach two-handed weapon with the feats that can take advantage of them.
The best idea I came up with for this would be to re-word the dueling style to require one-handed weapons but not one-handed use of said weapons, so it would apply to versatile weapons used two-handed. It also leaves the versatility of the weapon in place. (in that you can still use it either one- or two-handed and get the bonus)

1d10+2 = 7.5, (before str) ain't massive but is better than a greatsword sans style. (Greataxe is 6.5 or 7.33 with style, greatsword is 7 or 8.33) It would also allow you to stack this style and greatweapon fighting for a net 8.30 + str - you wouldn't notice the difference between that and greatsword with style.

Pro: it's good without making it better than using an actual two-handed weapon and still makes a shield a solid option.

Con: it's begging for a second Fighting Style, which could feel like a tax.

NotAYakk

Legend
How about:

Versatile Style
  • You may treat versatile weapon as heavy when wielded two-handed
  • When you attack with a versatile weapon and deal max damage on a weapon damage die, you deal an extra 5 points of damage.
  • When using a versatile weapon one-handed with no shield and a hand free, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Thanks y'all for some very creative feedback. Felt like attaching a Bonus Action was unnecessary (and unprecedented) but I like to start off underpowered and build from there. Im leaning towards @dnd4vr and their recommendations but eliminating the +1's, so it would look like this

Versatile Weapon Style

When wielding a weapon with the versatile property using two hands you may also add either the finesse or heavy property to the weapon description. Additionally, when wielded two handed you may use your reaction to increase your AC by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Think we're getting there, what do we think gang??

Thanks in advance!

Jediking

Explorer
I have found that the use of Versatile weapons really depends on how RAW many DMs rule certain things.

Personally I track having a free hand - you can't grapple with both a shield and weapon, object interaction cannot be done, holding a torch or item requires sheathing your weapon, casting some spells. By enforcing these rules it causes the Versatile trait (and the stowing of weapons/shields) to have a cost and benefit to them.

I have found it changes how players approach equipment and their character build. It hasn't caused any issues for my own games, but it could slow down others - similar to rulings on (dark)vision and lighting I would imagine, which I also enforce.

Remove ads