• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Victorian Eberron idea

drothgery

First Post
EvolutionKB said:
Interesting, what of warforged and reactions toward them(if they exist)?

Here's what Father ir'Indari says:

Although there are rumors than some warforged survived the cataclysm, it has never been proven; if they have, they have hidden themselves very well. What is certain is that the so-called 'secret' creatation forges in the bowls of Sharn and in what was once the Mournland were destroyed, and the one called the Lord of the Blades most definitely perished. Although some sources credit one of the nightmares unleashed during the cataclysm with his destruction, my information suggests he was destroyed by a band of Cyran expatriot adventurers centuries earlier.

Necro_Kinder

First Post
drothgery said:
- firearms will be available; exact cost and stats are to be determined, but they should be reflective of the general mid-1800s Europe tech level. Whatever stats I end up using, personal weapons will not have a missfire chance, and will be mechanically superior to crossbows.

This sounds pretty awesome, I'd love to play in it. But as for firearms, i would assume they woud lots more damage than a crossbow, but wouldn't they take longer to reload?

drothgery

First Post
Necro_Kinder said:
This sounds pretty awesome, I'd love to play in it. But as for firearms, i would assume they woud lots more damage than a crossbow, but wouldn't they take longer to reload?

I'm not an expert on American Civil War/Franco-Prussian War/Wild West/Victorian Era firearms, but while the guns of the day were by no means modern automatics, the firearms I'm proposing to have around aren't early firearms. I'll have to do some research on this, but I think that guns and ammo had advanced to the point that no, they wouldn't take longer to reload (and in fact, were probably already faster). But while they'll do more damage than crossbows, it's not going to be lots more (I'm thinking 2d4 pistols, 2d6 rifles).

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
I just wanted to say that I would be all over this like white on rice.

...White rice.

When you say that only humanity has truly risen from the ashes, do you mean that they would be the only playable race available?

drothgery

First Post
Blind Azathoth said:
When you say that only humanity has truly risen from the ashes, do you mean that they would be the only playable race available?

Father ir'Indari doesn't really see the Khorvar as independent from human society; half-elves are still around (and definitely playable).

Anything else would be case by case. It's possible changelings are still around, but if they are, they're pretending to be human. Isolated communities of dwarves, gnomes, and halflings exist, mostly tied to what were the Dragonmarked houses. Full-blooded elves outside of Arenal are almost unknown, and the numbers there are not what they were (much of the Undying Court having perished in the cataclysm). Shifters, orcs, half-orcs, and goblinoids suffered badly at the hands of humans and Khorvar in the years immediately after the cataclysm; some might remain on other continents, but there are none in Khorvaire.

Necro_Kinder

First Post
drothgery said:
I'm not an expert on American Civil War/Franco-Prussian War/Wild West/Victorian Era firearms, but while the guns of the day were by no means modern automatics, the firearms I'm proposing to have around aren't early firearms.

Well, not to be a smart-ass, but if we're talkin mid 19th century (1800s) then the firearms would probably be muzzle loading rifles or muskets. Later, closer to the 1900s, you got reliable breach loading rilfes with better rifleing (which makes for better accuracy). Maybe masterwork could entail breach loading and rifleing?

Kafkonia

First Post
drothgery said:
In a lot of ways it would, but it'd definitely need tweaking; heavily armored horsemen with lances are definitely on their way out. I may need to do something with paladins, too, since neither the special mount nor the PHB2 alternative really plays well.

My DM was just showing me an article in a recent Dragon (Dungeon?) that replaced the Paladin's mount with an enchanted sword that levels up as you progress, much as the mount does. I don't know which issue, or even which magazine, sadly.

Shalimar

First Post
The issue with Defense Bonus as it is in UA is that it leaves the classes that didn't use armor worse off then the ones that did, +6 bonus for people with Heavy Armor vs +3 for those who wore lighter armor: Swashbuckler etc. It then goes on to suggest that a level dip into fighter really benifits these classes by letting them go from the worst/2nd worst to the best for the remainder of that character's career. That system is kind of clunky compared to the inborn class defense bonuses of other D20 games like Wheel of Time and Star Wars which were more even and actually gave a penalty from multi-classing, then again those systems didn't have to contend with +5 shocking burst keen swords.

drothgery

First Post
Shalimar said:
The issue with Defense Bonus as it is in UA is that it leaves the classes that didn't use armor worse off then the ones that did, +6 bonus for people with Heavy Armor vs +3 for those who wore lighter armor: Swashbuckler etc. It then goes on to suggest that a level dip into fighter really benifits these classes by letting them go from the worst/2nd worst to the best for the remainder of that character's career. That system is kind of clunky compared to the inborn class defense bonuses of other D20 games like Wheel of Time and Star Wars which were more even and actually gave a penalty from multi-classing, then again those systems didn't have to contend with +5 shocking burst keen swords.

Yeah, that's definitely a problem. And the UA class defense bonus realy doesn't advance fast enough to keep up with offense. I might have to write my own tables.

groups would be

good
- swashbuckler
- fighter
- paladin
- knight

medium
- hexblade
- scout
- marshal
- rogue

poor
- dread necromancer
- healer
- archivist

I'm not really sure what I'd want the minimum and maximum values to be, though.

drothgery

First Post
Kafkonia said:
My DM was just showing me an article in a recent Dragon (Dungeon?) that replaced the Paladin's mount with an enchanted sword that levels up as you progress, much as the mount does. I don't know which issue, or even which magazine, sadly.

I had a thought of just granting the paladin Leadership for free at level 5.

Remove ads