• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Views on 2nd ed. Non Weapon Proficiencies.

Dolgo

Explorer
I recently discussed the differences in skill mechanics from many different games. One person said that 2nd edition d&d's NWP was his favorite skills mechanic, which was jaw dropping to me. I was never a fan of NWP even if the were optional. I'd like to get other views of 2nd ed. NWP pros and cons, maybe I don't see the merits of them.

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I recently discussed the differences in skill mechanics from many different games. One person said that 2nd edition d&d's NWP was his favorite skills mechanic, which was jaw dropping to me. I was never a fan of NWP even if the were optional. I'd like to get other views of 2nd ed. NWP pros and cons, maybe I don't see the merits of them.
Yeah, they were pretty terrible. Of course, at the time and in the context of D&D they were revolutionary ;)

Compared to any other rpg system already including a skill system (i.e. pretty much everything else) it was really bad.

The main problems were the binary nature and the lack of balancing between different NWPs.
Both problems were basically fixed in 3e by splitting them into feats and skills, as appropriate.

4e further improved on skills by generally allowing untrained skill use, automatic improvement of every skill and the introduction of skill powers. At the same time feats have a taken a hit in usefulness (imho, mainly because of the multitude of available powers).

There's still lots of room for improvement, though.

cleverkobold

First Post
I love th 2e NWP system. Its simple and effective, however i dont like the skills being grouped by class, rogues should be able to smith weapons as well.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
used them for many years, and not a big fan.

As was common in skill systems of the time:
-Too many rarely used and non-adventuring skills
-A fixed degree of difficulty, or I should say almost fixed, as you could vary difficulty, but it was sort of a pain.

Specific to them:

-The roll low d20 mechanic. Yes, pretty simple, but still, yet another resolution mechanic. (I think one goal of 2E was to have as many as possible).
-Too linked to ability scores and to hard to boost
-Included proto-feats (blind fighting...)
-Existed in paralel with the "real" adventuring skills (theif skillls, various perception mechanics)

TanisFrey

First Post
The 1ed system of non-weapon proficiency were better than 2ed one, alto the 3ed skill system is my preferred method.

1ed NWP system
the Non-weapon proficiency were first seen in the Oriental Adventures and expanded for the standard game with the Wilderness Survival Guide and the Dungeonirs Survival Guide.

They gave you a base number then you would lower that by the additional number slots added to that NWP to find you base chance of success (to a minimum number of 3). You had to roll over this number to success. Some NWP were considered difficult to learn and cost you 2 slots to learn, but only 1 to improve. In cases of contested rolls you keep on rolling until someone failed.

2ed NWP system.
Not everyone got those three books and added them to their game. So, they reworked and added them as an optional system in core books, if I remember correctly. They were worse rules than the 1ed system. Each NWP had a ability score with a modifier to find you base score. You would then want to roll under your score. You could increase you base score by adding slots. Contested rolls were deterred by whom ever rolled higher but not too high.

I always disliked the fact that a dancer with high dex and minimal training was better than the average dex dancer who poured her heart out in training in the second ed system. You stat was far too important to you base skill. Add in the contested skill where you wanted to roll high but not too high was screwy.

3ed Skill system
You buy ranks with a modifier from your raw ability. Success is deterred by taking your skill total modifier and adding a d20 roll and getting higher score than a DC based on your task. Contested rolls have also been simplifies whom ever gets a higher score win.

Both you natural ability and your training are important in this system. Eventually your training will be more important that you natural ability. In order to dance Swan Lake you need raw ability and practice to preform it right.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Both you natural ability and your training are important in this system. Eventually your training will be more important that you natural ability. In order to dance Swan Lake you need raw ability and practice to preform it right.

Well, not by RAW, at least. You can have a 7 Dex and a 10 Cha, but if you have 20 ranks, and you take a 10, then you just owned that Perform (Dance) check.

This seems to be an inherent evil within the system, though. I might have a half-orc with a 20 Str, but since I have a 7 Cha, people generally laugh me off when I try to intimidate them at lower levels.

TanisFrey

First Post
Well, not by RAW, at least. You can have a 7 Dex and a 10 Cha, but if you have 20 ranks, and you take a 10, then you just owned that Perform (Dance) check.

This seems to be an inherent evil within the system, though. I might have a half-orc with a 20 Str, but since I have a 7 Cha, people generally laugh me off when I try to intimidate them at lower levels.
Oops, I mixing editions there.
Well in 2ed dance was controlled by Dex and in 3rd Preform (Dance) is control by Cha.

If you have Dex of 18 in 2ed you dance score when you took it was 18.
If you have Cha of 18 in 3rd ed you got a +3 to your preform skill and you can dance if you have no ranks in it. Preform is an Everyman skill.

Dolgo

Explorer
Good responses thanks for all the feedback.

My main issue is take for instance a Thief, he gets his starting proficiencies (more if using the optional Int rule which I always used) then he doesn't get another proficiency until 4th level, meaning that a fifth of his total levels = one NEW proficiency or, get this, +1 to an existing proficiency. So at 8th level he has gotten maybe a new proficiency and a +1, 2 proficiencies, or one proficiency at +2. God forbid the proficiency you want takes 2 slots (case in point a 2 slot prof taken at 1st level is +1 at 8th level if you decide to "save up" your 4th level prof).

Its also strange that the Rogue Group is the slowest to level up NWP and further versions they became the skill masters. A complete 180 degree change.

On top of that if I have an 18 INT and choose Animal Lore, I'm apparently super animal lore master but have no clue how to survive, know any history or anything else with my high intelligence, without having taken the actual proficiency. It was all or nothing with NWPs.

PS: Kudos to the guy that picked Pottery as a NWP, he loved him some pots.

slwoyach

First Post
I liked the 2e system, though I don't like how few slots characters get. I'd also prefer it used the Alternity Ordinary/Good/Amazing success levels.

sellars

Explorer
Mixed feelings

We are currently playing 2 2nd edition campaigns after many years of 3rd edition. Our experience is that it takes a lot of adjustment to 2nd edition mechanics.

I'm not sure what to think of it. On the one hand I feel the NWP's as inflexible, arbitrary and an odd-duckling within the rules. On the other hand, i like thefact that they leave lots of space to fill in as we see fit.

Remove ads