• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vigwyn's 'A New Beginning...' [IC]

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Brolinar eyes you both suspiciously for a moment...then opens the door wider to invite you in. "Then you'd better come in and have a seat. It's not getting any warmer out."

Creamsteak

Explorer
"Thanks."

Edgar will edge his way inside and find some place out of sight of the doors or windows preferably. "So here's the story, short and simple. Me and my good friend Gallo tend to get ourself into trouble. That just seems to happen regardless of what we do. Some would say we're just unlucky, though honestly I don't really mind."

"Tonight, in particular, we were wandering around town just looking for trouble, one way or another. Could be a fight. Could be women. Could be the watch. Tonight it was a little of column A and a little of column C, so not the best night overall."

Edgar adjusts and smiles a big grin. "That's when we passed by this shop when it was being raided. We confronted the criminals, but I'm not a violent guy. I was mostly curious. Honestly, I just as easily could have decided to help them if they had handled the situation differently. Instead, they threw that lantern in my face, and that fire started."

Edgar points at any other sort of markings that might remain and that might be sufficient evidence that he was, in fact, here when the fire was started to verify his authentic presence.

"So, one way or another, we chased them off, apparently, and then the watch showed up at the most inconvenient time possible. We worked out a deal, wherein we'd follow the criminals... Charlie or Chucky or whatever. If you don't believe me on that, that's fine. That's not the point here. One way or another, we chased the two bastards to their outhouse cabin, thinking we could corner them and find out what's REALLY going on."

Edgar looks to Gallo for confirmation on this one, "And then those bastards turned up dead, eaten by some kind of goblin werewolf from hell. It attacked and bit my friend here, which there's probably still a mark. We managed to fight the monster off, and then bring it down... and well... then we found this note..."

Edgar motions to Gallo to read it or pass it along. Either way, he watches the man carefully (sense motive +3) worried that the wizard might not like the news.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Gallo nods fervently as Edgar tells the story. He turns to show the man the mark when Edgar mentions it, and hands over the map when he's finished.

"Any ideas?"

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Brolinar takes the note and reads it over the top of his spectacles. "Oh my," he mutters, lowering the note. "I was afraid this day might come."

He looks you both over for a moment, and senses that in you both is a basic goodness and a love of adventure. "See this initial here?" he points to the note. "It stands for Crow, my old nemesis. I do indeed have a map, a map that Crow believes will lead him to an item of great power. A map that he has committed unpardonable acts of evil to possess.

"In order to stop the suffering he left in his wake in his ongoing attempts to obtain the map, I confronted him in the desert, where I imprisoned him in the pattern of a rug. That was more than 300 years ago. Somehow he has found a way to escape. He must still fear me, or else he would simply have come to steal the map himself. Little does he know that I have grown much too weak to fight him in the intervening years."

He watches you closely for your reaction to this story, and you sense that he is telling the truth, as amazing as it sounds. "Will you help me?"

Creamsteak

Explorer
Edgar scratches his head, acting as if he was totally expecting this, although it's a totally obvious bluff... "Well I think we have an opening on our schedule between being ran out of town and our next encounter with the goblin shapeshifter from hell. We can fit you in our schedules... probably..."

Edgar somewhat optimistically turns to Gallo, "But I've been talking a bit much for the two of us. What do you think? Is this old guy telling the truth? Is it really worth getting tangled up in yet another person's business when we have plenty of our own? Do you think it'll be... fun?"

Edgar says all of this, but his mind is elsewhere. Did this guy just say he's 300 years old? Did he say he turned someone into a RUG?

industrygothica

Adventurer
Gallo rubs his chin and nervously runs his fingers through his hair. "It's all a bit fantastic, don't you think?" He looks back and forth between the two men. "And there's the small problem now of being wanted by the watch. How're we supposed to conduct any sort of business here ducking in and out of shadows all the time? You know that young git would shoot me on sight if he had the chance, not that I'd give it to him.

"I just don't know; it's all a bit dangerous if you ask me. I've already nearly been eaten alive by some goblin-wolf hack, and you're telling me this Crow has been imprisoned in a rug for 300 years? It's all a bit bizarre really." He looks at Gallo and then back at the old man. A great grin sweeps across his face. "I'm in!"

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
"Very well, then," exclaims the old wizard, a clear look of relief on his face. "The note here says he was to meet the burglars Wednesday night--tomorrow night--at the old keep. I understand you two are new around here, so you probably don't know about the old keep. Not much of a keep really, just a small fortification of a few rooms built against a cliff, located a few mile south of the city. Perhaps the two of you can meet him there, in place of the late burglars."

"If you two come back with me to my house, I can give you shelter for the night, safe from the watch. And we can rustle up an item or two to help you in your fight."

"What say you?"

Last edited:

Remove ads