Vincent Baker on mechanics, system and fiction in RPGs

What important RPGs have been designed using this book? What are its principles about the relationship between mechanics and fiction in the context of RPGing, a game form in which most participants play the game by declaring actions for a character in an imagined situation?

It is a textbook on game design, the one that (AFAIK) pioneered the idea of game patterns, and the book breaks down not only how to identify them but also how to construct them, and why and how they work as a design syntax that can be applied to every game ever made and ever will be made.

The thing about your question is that it exists in (to invoke MDA) the aesthetics of a given game, and so it isn't strictly material to the mechanics, meaning the mechanics don't care what they're called and if unfun is genuinely arising from a mechanic, its because of the mechanic's design, not what aesthetics have been granted to it.

However, solving an aesthetic problem is something to consider, and I could offer up my own idea on that matter: synchronicity. How a given game action should feel, be named, and be percieved by the player as all being identical by that player.

Ie, jumping; its called a jump, it looks like a jump and accomplishes what a jump should intuitively enable a person to do. You can stretch it for fantasy without breaking synchronicity (see Super Mario), but if you have it and it doesn't even match up to real life (see Skyrim, where verticality generally isn't a possible playspace) then you have an issue.

You'd have to examine the machination (see Game Mechanics: AGD) to resolve an issue of game feel, but the other two aren't that complicated. You have full control of how the system names a given action, and you can playtest game feel to get the player perception right.

If in a TTRPG a given mechanic is not lining up with whatever aesthetic purpose it has, its going to be due to this. This principle I came up with is actually why I ended up using a violation of common design wisdom as a solution; if you want to ensure synchronicity is maintained in a progression game (to use terminology from Game Mechanics: AGD), then eventually basic actions need to stop being able to be failed. Ergo, modifiers that will eventually exceed the value of the die roll, where my core 1d20+Mod game has base mods that go up to +30, before any boosts or buffs, and where the highest single base mod is +150.

Combined with baked in degrees of success, the overall system models capability progression in a way that avoids the pie-in-face pitfalls that tend to happen with other games.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think "currency" because related to exchange between the different components/elements.

A simple example of informal currency would be a D&D table that adopts the view that 1st level PCs are "nobodies", and so to gain social traction ("position"), a character has to increase their effectiveness and/or resources, which in turn requires advancing a different and mechanical element of position, namely, experience level.
So what most people would call correlation?

I really hate Bakers naming conventions - not that I’m any better myself.

Another example: suppose that a GM routinely has enemies focus on the fighter in combat, provided the fighter goes boldly into melee, even though there is no mechanical imperative for this (eg nothing like 4e marking). This connects "position" to both effectiveness and resources, across multiple characters. If the same GM "punishes" MUs who don't hide behind the "meat shields", they have established another bit of position => resources currency.
What’s meant by informal is more clear now. Thanks!

I might equate his informal there to ‘group determined mechanics’. Because I think the groups that tend to employ those correlations do tend to treat them as mechanics - often not player facing though.

Hopefully these make sense (and also hopefully it helps see what Baker has in mind for his barbarian example of the currency relationships going awry).
It does help. Not to derail but it really feels to me that the chosen names for many of Bakers concepts obfuscate more than enlighten. Might help explain the strong negative reactions of many to his writings. The parts without questionable terms read absolutely correct to me - at least for what you’ve quoted.

Anyways, thanks again for explaining.

I’m also not really sure the purpose of the OP when so little seems controversial about it. Like what do you expect us to discuss about it. **Looks like some posters are already proving me wrong.

A well-designed RPG should make it clear which participants, and when, gets to contribute to the shared fiction in these various ways. Mechanics are one technique for doing this.

I missed this post, but Id like to respond to this bit in particular.

Firstly, this is imo Baker (or you? Both? Not certain if this your opinion or his) conflating RPGs with Storygames. Storygames are a subgenre of RPGs, but they're not the same thing.

Assuming you're paraphrasing Baker, then contextually, this is fine as Baker is basically outlining the hybrid rpg/storygame systems he'd go on to write. But its important to make the distinction if we're going to speak in broad strokes about whats good for one game type over another.

RPG's do not strictly need to be concerned about the "fiction" and it isn't a hallmark of well designed ones (whatever that means) that they do so. This is ultimately why so many games can technically be played as RPG's despite doing nothing to provide actual RPG mechanics, and why many inadvertently make RPGs of themselves for that matter.

What's typically really core to RPG's is playstyle reinforcement. For example, you play a particular way and the game responds positively to reinforce playing in that way, while negatively reinforcing other ways of playing for the player's specific experience. Ie, you play as a warrior, trying to play a mage becomes a farce unless there is a hybridization mechanic in place to support a new, hybridized playstyle that ideally doesn't explore the full capabilities of either, but blends the core of both in a satisfying way.

That's why it can be so easy for (and why so many have gone this way) FPS video games to end up incorporating more explicit RPG elements, as just the preference for a specific gun over another mirrors the kind of playstyle reinforcement that's core to RPGs. So adding more explicit elements like experience->ability economies becomes a very easy next step to provide a more comprehensive experience. It tends to be done rather lazily though, and afaik I'm not sure that any FPS' ever really hit a design that really took the best advantage of doing this.

Secondly, mechanics are what creates gameplay as the confluence of rules, procedures and data being interacted with by a player. Mechanics aren't just one method, but the totality of how a game achieves anything it does. I would wager what you're trying to say is that one of the three things that makes up mechanics are one method.

Incidentally, this is whats at the heart of my synchronicity idea in terms of getting mechanics to not feel as though they conflict with the aesthetics of the game, just abstracted much further so as to be applicable to all games rather than just immersion-forward RPGs.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I missed this post, but Id like to respond to this bit in particular.

Firstly, this is imo Baker (or you? Both? Not certain if this your opinion or his) conflating RPGs with Storygames. Storygames are a subgenre of RPGs, but they're not the same thing.

Assuming you're paraphrasing Baker, then contextually, this is fine as Baker is basically outlining the hybrid rpg/storygame systems he'd go on to write. But its important to make the distinction if we're going to speak in broad strokes about whats good for one game type over another.

RPG's do not strictly need to be concerned about the "fiction" and it isn't a hallmark of well designed ones (whatever that means) that they do so. This is ultimately why so many games can technically be played as RPG's despite doing nothing to provide actual RPG mechanics, and why many inadvertently make RPGs of themselves for that matter.

What's typically really core to RPG's is playstyle reinforcement. For example, you play a particular way and the game responds positively to reinforce playing in that way, while negatively reinforcing other ways of playing for the player's specific experience. Ie, you play as a warrior, trying to play a mage becomes a farce unless there is a hybridization mechanic in place to support a new, hybridized playstyle that ideally doesn't explore the full capabilities of either, but blends the core of both in a satisfying way.

That's why it can be so easy for (and why so many have gone this way) FPS video games to end up incorporating more explicit RPG elements, as just the preference for a specific gun over another mirrors the kind of playstyle reinforcement that's core to RPGs. So adding more explicit elements like experience->ability economies becomes a very easy next step to provide a more comprehensive experience. It tends to be done rather lazily though, and afaik I'm not sure that any FPS' ever really hit a design that really took the best advantage of doing this.

Secondly, mechanics are what creates gameplay as the confluence of rules, procedures and data being interacted with by a player. Mechanics aren't just one method, but the totality of how a game achieves anything it does. I would wager what you're trying to say is that one of the three things that makes up mechanics are one method.

Incidentally, this is whats at the heart of my synchronicity idea in terms of getting mechanics to not feel as though they conflict with the aesthetics of the game, just abstracted much further so as to be applicable to all games rather than just immersion-forward RPGs.
I think that notion of knowing who can say what and when is valuable beyond the subset of games you indicate. I think it’s also applicable to d&d. I mean imagine all the pushback you get from d&d fans if it’s ever suggested players get to say something the dm traditionally gets to say.

I think that notion of knowing who can say what and when is valuable beyond the subset of games you indicate. I think it’s also applicable to d&d. I mean imagine all the pushback you get from d&d fans if it’s ever suggested players get to say something the dm traditionally gets to say.
Sure, it does need to be considered as part of the procedures of a game. Thats an issue for example with people approaching solitaire rpgs is that the procedure to start a game is often an enigma until you really dig into it; playing tends to be straightforward once you're accustomed to the dynamics of being player and GM simultaneously.

The issue though with the philosophy that an RPG is "just" a conversation is that when you buy into that idea too much, you're liable to inadvertently restrict the design space for the game. Simple example, the system can be just as much a "speaker" in the RPG-as-Conversation as the player or GM is, and apropos, solo-RPGs often embody exactly that, and you can technically (with a GME) play any RPG out there today solo. So clearly rpg-as-conversation isn't very precise.

Unless one wants to go down the Edwardsian spiel on "coherence". Not that I wanted to bring that up, but that is where the idea was rooted from, the philosophy that games need to be laser focused on doing one specific thing or else they're incoherent and anyone who likes them anyway is brain damaged. If you emphasize rpg-as-conversation, then you're going to more or less influence design down a route of being very specialized. Hence, AW and its heritage all being individually poor at doing anything other than what they individually care about.

Which, while off-topic, is kind of strange as it basically creates a style of game mechanics that largely rejects emergence but also isn't very explicit about embracing that its a progression game (Ie, a railroadey experience, to use a less precise term).

Hence why I think the way to make PBTA less abrasive is to have more structure, a codified roll economy, and additionally a means of flipping the feedback loop to positive that correlates with the pacing of the fiction. More structure will help with setting the pacing better, and the roll economy will insure people can't roll themselves to death but while also fostering a more interesting to engage with core mechanic. And putting in a means of flipping the feedback loop to positive after a point (in most stories, this is around the mid-way point) would help eliminate the porcupine effect. Something like the Escalation Die for example would work really well there.

pemerton

Legend
So what most people would call correlation?
More than correlation, I think - a process of systematically transforming one in response to changes in another.

I’m also not really sure the purpose of the OP when so little seems controversial about it. Like what do you expect us to discuss about it. **Looks like some posters are already proving me wrong.
Well, leaving aside the controversy in this thread, I think it might be interesting to talk about games that are successful or unsuccessful in respect of their currency. Or to unpick various elements of games in the terms set out.

I'll make a separate post with an example.

pemerton

Legend
Equipment, encumbrance, treasure: working through some examples

Consider the following elements of classic D&D:

Equipment - which is a category of stuff in the fiction, recorded on the PC sheet - provides effectiveness (eg a tinderbox, or some rope) and also resources (eg some rations, a light source). So the rules that govern how equipment is acquired and carried are currency rules between effectiveness and resources.

Treasure - which is a category of stuff in the fiction, recorded on the PC sheet as (or adjunct to) equipment - provides effectiveness (eg success on "I buy the <X>" or "I bribe the <Z>" action declarations) and resources (eg for succeeding in evasion of encounters with treasure-hungry monsters; or for upkeep) and position (in the form of XP).​

The relationship between treasure as effectiveness and treasure as resources is mutually exclusive. The relationship between treasure in these capacities and treasure as position is more complex, because treasure accrues XP once taken out of the dungeon (so it has to be hoarded for a little bit) but then can be spent (as effectiveness or resources without loss of position.

Treasure competes with other equipment under the encumbrance rules, creating a complex set of currency interrelationships. So it is to be expected that classic D&D will produce a focus, in game play, on tracking what is carried, what is left behind, etc. "Bean counting."

Torchbearer largely emulates classic D&D in the above respects, but with two changes. One is technical: it uses a "slot" system for tracking encumbrance which makes the bean counting easier and (I would argue) more aesthetically evocative. I think this is best understood in terms of the evolution of RPG game design: more elegant solutions to the technical challenge of tracking encumbrance have been invented.

The other change in Torchbearer is not technical in the same way - it is a deliberately different currency rule. Namely, treasure in Torchbearer is largely unrelated to position. So characters can develop, and (given the conceits of the game) advance in position (eg gain levels, make allies) even if they do not succeed in bringing treasure out of dungeons.

That doesn't mean that treasure becomes irrelevant: developing/advancing a character's position in Torchbearer does require succeeding on some action declarations, and that depends in turn on effectiveness and resources, and treasure is an intricate component of these. But by making the connection more indirect, with treasure as just one element of effectiveness and resources, the game does (in my view) create a more permissive "space" for play in which the characters are a bit more cavalier about gaining and losing their treasure as they adventure. I think this encourages more "light-hearted" play of a S&S-ish or The Hobbit-ish nature.

Now consider Burning Wheel. Like classic D&D and Torchbearer, characters have equipment lists. These contribute to effectiveness in the same sort of way. Equipment may occasionally serve as resources, but not systematically as is the case in classic D&D or Torchbearer. Treasure is similarly a component of effectiveness. The lifestyle rules can make it a component of resources also, but again not with the same rigour as D&D or Torchbearer. And like Torchbearer, there is no direct connection to position.

Burning Wheel has no encumbrance rules: what a character can carry is established purely qualitatively. So there is no equipment-based currency system interrelating effectiveness and resources with treasure in the mix. And a consequence of all these ways BW differs from Torchbearer and D&D is that "bean counting" isn't a part of the game at all. So a change in currency rules means that we can have a game that places the same level of fictional attention on what a character is carrying - equipment lists in BW absolutely matter - but doesn't generate a "bean counting" play experience.

I'll consider two more RPGs to finish this post.

Cortex+ Heroic (Marvel Heroic RP, but I think of it more generally as I've played more of this systems adapted to fantasy via the Cortex Hacker's Guide than I have in its original super hero form) permits gear to be part of the ongoing effectiveness of particular characters (eg a magical sword; or Captain America's shield), or as more short-term effectiveness acquired by spending a "plot point" to obtain (what the game calls) a Resource. Plot points are earned easily as part of play, as part of the resolution mechanics, and on their own do not count as position, effectiveness or resources.

To make a permanent change to a character's equipment list (eg to gain, on an ongoing basis, a magical sword or a vibranium shield) requires expanding XP, which are earned via changes in position which are in turn established purely qualitatively (by doing certain character-specific actions - eg in one of my fantasy games the Dwarf PC had to return to Moria or another ancient and abandoned homeland).

So it's pretty much the converse of classic D&D - position can => a change in equipment which => effectiveness. This means that there is no bean-counting of gear in this RPG; nor do characters even have D&D-style equipment lists. It's a completely different approach to how equipment matters to characters.

Finally, classic Traveller. This game has D&D-style equipment lists. It has no XP rules, so gear and treasure do not factor into position in that fashion. Nor do they really contribute to position in other ways, except indirectly - eg being wealthy might permit performing actions (like buying things) that make a character more socially acceptable.

Gear contributes significantly to effectiveness. It does not really serve as a resource (eg the game doesn't use "medi-patches" or similar sci-fi healing potions). Money is a resource, because it feeds into upkeep/lifestyle rules; but money doesn't weigh anything and so there is no encumbrance trade-off in this respect. Encumbrance is used purely to keep track of gear.

The upshot, in my view, is that the encumbrance rules are rather over-engineered, and fiddly in play, relative to what they deliver which is a modest constraint on effectiveness by limiting how much gear can be carried. I think the game would have done better to adopt the Burning Wheel approach of treating carrying stuff in purely qualitative terms.

@FrogReaver, the above is the example I promised!

pemerton

Legend
It is a textbook on game design, the one that (AFAIK) pioneered the idea of game patterns, and the book breaks down not only how to identify them but also how to construct them, and why and how they work as a design syntax that can be applied to every game ever made and ever will be made.

The thing about your question is that it exists in (to invoke MDA) the aesthetics of a given game, and so it isn't strictly material to the mechanics, meaning the mechanics don't care what they're called and if unfun is genuinely arising from a mechanic, its because of the mechanic's design, not what aesthetics have been granted to it.
This statement, to the extent that I can make sense of it, seems to be false of RPGs.

The relationship between mechanics and fiction is absolutely central to RPG design. It is not a matter of aesthetics separate from mechanics. For instance, the mechanics of encumbrance in classic D&D or Torchbearer - as per my post just upthread - produce a fiction in which character count their beans and worry about their load-outs. If your goal is to have a game where the fiction will resemble (say) REH Conan stories or (say) the epics of The Silmarillion, then you will not want to use encumbrance mechanics!

This strikes me as obviously false.

For the sake of illustration, let's take classic D&D as a paradigm RPG. It differs from a wargame or a Diplomacy-esque competitive scenario by combining some key features:

*There is a shared fiction, managed/curated by a referee (ie a non-"player" participant), and that shared fiction matters to action resolution;

*Each of the player participants engages and shapes the shared fiction by declaring actions for a particular character in that fiction, with whom they are identified;

*There is no straightforwardly structured win condition - the fiction is in an important sense open-ended, and player goals are established and resolved within that context.​

From this, various things follow:

*The only constraint on permissible player moves is what everyone is prepared to imagine their character doing - this is obviously different from a boardgame, is more open-ended than a typical wargame, and doesn't depend upon technical programming constraints in the way a videogame does;

*Some method or system is needed to help keep all the participants' imaginations on the same page - this is where mechanics come in, and also other considerations like the role of the non-"player" participants (the referee) in making decisions about what happens next (so "railroading" is a concern for RPGing in a way that is obviously different from boardgames or videogames).;

*What counts as good gameplay - both in the sense of being skilled, and in the sense of being fun - can't be completely independent of what happens to particular characters in the fiction. This gives the "game pieces" a significance that is quite different from typical boardgames or wargames.​

I'm sure other things could be said too, that I'm not thinking of at present. But I think these points are enough to show that the mechanics-fiction relationship (and the mechanics-character relationship as a special case of that) are fundamental to RPG design. The fiction is not just flavour text.

That's why it can be so easy for (and why so many have gone this way) FPS video games to end up incorporating more explicit RPG elements, as just the preference for a specific gun over another mirrors the kind of playstyle reinforcement that's core to RPGs.
Well I think that here you demonstrate a failure to understand what distinguishes RPGs from other games, in something like the way that Vincent Baker (as per the OP) describes as an "ongoing and outstanding crisis in RPG design". You are equating RPGing with a particular participant attaching some imaginative component to their game play decision - "narrating stuff properly" (you are also looking at that through a lens that assumes particular archetypes/tropes correspond to particular strategies for effectiveness).

You are not considering at all the issues of generating a shared imagination via play, nor of maintaining that shared imagination during play, in circumstances where the only limit on player moves is what everyone agrees to imagine a given character can do.

mechanics are what creates gameplay as the confluence of rules, procedures and data being interacted with by a player. Mechanics aren't just one method, but the totality of how a game achieves anything it does. I would wager what you're trying to say is that one of the three things that makes up mechanics are one method.
Again, this seems obviously false.

In classic D&D, when I say "I walk down the corridor, and when I get to the end of it I take my hammer and spikes out of my backpack", I am making moves in the game, changing the shared fiction, but no mechanic is invoked.

Contrast Cortex+ Heroic fantasy, where to take a hammer and spikes out of my backpack probably does invoke a mechanic (namely, the rule for spending plot points to establish Resources).

These two examples are simple illustrations of the different ways in which a RPG can regulate the shared fiction: sheer consensus (as in the D&D example) vs mechanical constraints (as in the Cortex+ Heroic example). Eliding the difference between them is not helpful for RPG design, given that a key question in RPG design is when to rely on consensus and when to introduce mechanics.

However, solving an aesthetic problem is something to consider, and I could offer up my own idea on that matter: synchronicity. How a given game action should feel, be named, and be percieved by the player as all being identical by that player.

Ie, jumping; its called a jump, it looks like a jump and accomplishes what a jump should intuitively enable a person to do. You can stretch it for fantasy without breaking synchronicity (see Super Mario), but if you have it and it doesn't even match up to real life (see Skyrim, where verticality generally isn't a possible playspace) then you have an issue.

You'd have to examine the machination (see Game Mechanics: AGD) to resolve an issue of game feel, but the other two aren't that complicated. You have full control of how the system names a given action, and you can playtest game feel to get the player perception right.

If in a TTRPG a given mechanic is not lining up with whatever aesthetic purpose it has, its going to be due to this. This principle I came up with is actually why I ended up using a violation of common design wisdom as a solution; if you want to ensure synchronicity is maintained in a progression game (to use terminology from Game Mechanics: AGD), then eventually basic actions need to stop being able to be failed. Ergo, modifiers that will eventually exceed the value of the die roll, where my core 1d20+Mod game has base mods that go up to +30, before any boosts or buffs, and where the highest single base mod is +150.

Combined with baked in degrees of success, the overall system models capability progression in a way that avoids the pie-in-face pitfalls that tend to happen with other games.
All I see here is that you seem to be setting out to reinvent Rolemaster, or some of the elements of 3E D&D.

Last edited:

Re: currency
What Baker is getting at is just an internal economy concern, mechanically. Its about what Actions the game makes available to players and how the system responds through feedback. Ideally the economy has to be fun in of itself, but also should be synchronous with the overal aesthetic of the game. Building an arms race economy into a game thats themed around building a co-op farm is going to cause friction, for example, but would be ideally suited for a wargame or RTS video game.

No matter what you do with your Sources, Drains, Converters, or Traders you want to ensure they're synchronous with and support the sort of experience you're looking for. This where the book I recommended really comes in handy, because it gives you the tools to abstract this so that you can directly examine and experiment with the economy's feedback loop(s).

There's the example given of superheroes who nickel and their powers and, depending on what the Sources are, will end up acting counter to what most people understand superheroes to be like.

Most superheroes should have a Source that's inherent to the character and effectively infinite, and to make a pleasant and synchronous economy out of that for superheroes, you'd generally have to externalize the costs. Depending on what kind of superheroes anyway.

If you wanted to do Superman the RPG, you'd focus the economy of the game on something external to him, probably collateral damage, Superman then has to manage through drains (helping Metropolis rebuild, bringing someone back from death, etc), and traders (ie, he destroys a truck, but he also knocks out Luthor in the process. Its a wash). I'm sure with more time I could probably think of a converter for this one too. The player is still able to portray Superman however they like, and its just up to the economy to reinforce the consequences (and thus ideally encourage them to actually act like Superman).

A basic Superman game would probably just try to explore typical Superman vs Evil Superman in terms of consequences, but a Superman game that really wanted to embody the real character would try to exploit the fact that Superman is a fundamentally subversive character. This would be a game where you as a player can't help but be true to Superman as a character, as it basically tricks you into ignoring your own intrusive thoughts to just wreck up the place. What that'd look like and how it'd be achieved, IDK, but that's the core idea that it would have to achieve.

But if we wanted to do Marvel style supers, then we can do a mixture of external and internal costs, as Marvel supers aren't meant to be portrayed as perfect. They can be hurt and worn down in spite of their effectively unlimited superpowers, and some don't even have unlimited powers in the first place. More conventional economies that drain/trade/convert capabilities would make more sense in that context.

The Hulk for example could effectively run out of anger; the economy of the character and the feedback loop it'd generate would be theoretically infinite, but without a consistent source of anger, or an external source keeping the loop going (like Professor Hulk, or a Scarlet Witch spell, the Hulk suppressing Banner etc), he'll eventually revert and just be regular Banner.

But what'd make the Hulk interesting from a gameplay perspective is that you could then gamify how Banner himself works as one of the inherently supergenius type supers, and then the player gets the manage two different internal economies simultaneously depending on what state Banner/Hulk is in.

Aesthetically, this is where you'll find out if you have concerns about whether or not something feels gamey or not. Meta currencies for example can conflict with an otherwise first person experience, even if they're mechanically sound as part of the game's internal economy, simply because they aren't tangibly skinned to be anything that's truly a part of the gameworld. These can be pretty easy to fix depending on what it is you're using the meta currency for and where its supposed to come from, and sometimes you don't have to fix them at all if the game's aesthetics are already gamey to begin with.

Re: Encumberance
I would say that encumbrance tends to cause issues because it isn't properly integrated into the internal economy. If you have too little or too much space, its going to cause frictoon (bean counting vs it basically doesn't matter), and sometimes if your economy is designed in a particular way, you might not be able to do any sort of inventory at all without it feeling abrasive.

The relationship between mechanics and fiction is absolutely central to RPG design

Not really, no more than any other game that doesn't just own being entirely abstracted anyway. But this is also a case where we're probably saying the same thing, or aren't, because we aren't actually speaking the same language. What you believe the "fiction" is is probably very different from mine.

Which is why I recommend that particular book, because it cuts through those concerns and focuses on whats actually producing the experiences we want in an unambiguous way. You may not understand what I mean, and thats fine, but the things Im saying are simpler than what you're taking from Baker, if only because they can't be abstracted any further.

It differs from a wargame or a Diplomacy-esque competitive scenario by combining some key features:

*There is a shared fiction, managed/curated by a referee (ie a non-"player" participant), and that shared fiction matters to action resolution;

*Each of the player participants engages and shapes the shared fiction by declaring actions for a particular character in that fiction, with whom they are identified;

*There is no straightforwardly structured win condition - the fiction is in an important sense open-ended, and player goals are established and resolved within that context.

1. The referee stands in as part of what the system needs to provide adequate challenges to the other players, but are also a player unto themselves who, in most RPGs, utilize and play the NPCs, who will have a similar (and ideally simpler) internal economic structure to the other player's PCs.

That is their function in a game system and the fiction does not matter to this. The fiction is extraneous data that influences the overall experience, but there's nothing saying it needs to be there other than the conventional wisdom that an entirely abstracted RPG would probably be pretty boring, which if we want to extrapolate to a logical conclusion reveals that probably a lot of RPGs, if not all of them, are fundamentally flawed if they lose all of their fun when abstracted.

Thats something you don't really need to go all that deep to gleam either; the common idea that rolling dice is inherently fun speaks the same overall idea, as engaging the classic RPG mechanic all by itself is fun, and so the fun shouldn't be disappearing entirely.

The fiction is not just flavour text.

I think your issue with what Im saying just relates back to what I said about us not speaking the same language. I'm speaking from a much more abstracted position than you are, and as such I'm not going to be weighting things the same.

The key though is that the actual weighting we're both describing is, in fact, identical.

Well I think that here you demonstrate a failure to understand what distinguishes RPGs from other games,

Game design is game design. RPGs aren't some special ubermensch game that can't be examined like any others.

You are not considering at all the issues of generating a shared imagination via play, nor of maintaining that shared imagination during play, in circumstances where the only limit on player moves is what everyone agrees to imagine a given character can do.

Not at all; these issues are all just things that emerge from a game's mechanics, and its not always possible to design backwards from them.

There's an entire chapter in the book on this subject, fyi. What you're referring to is things that emerge from whatever analogous and/or symbolic simulations the game uses to represent a given reality interacting with how the players communicate between themselves.

For example, if one were to take DND5e and append a slot based inventory mechanic to it, which is an example of an analogous simulation, it wouldn't do anything to resolve how the item economy in 5e works or feels to engage with. It might make tracking items gained more interesting, but the underlying economy hasn't been addressed by the slot system alone.

And thats just assuming you were able to do this simply by just converting weights directly into slots, which one would probably be inclined to do if they tried this. Thats partially going to solve the issue, as it'd be difficult to rub up that closely against the item economy and not start fixing it, but you'd still have to go in and fix the Sources and ensure they're interacting properly with whatever drains/converters/traders and that the slot system is balanced to provide the best feeling constraint, if you want the end experience to be meaningfully better than what its replacing.

Again, this seems obviously false.

Game design isn't that intuitive.

In classic D&D, when I say "I walk down the corridor, and when I get to the end of it I take my hammer and spikes out of my backpack", I am making moves in the game, changing the shared fiction, but no mechanic is invoked

No, you're still engaging a mechanic. Just saying what happens is a game mechanic.

Incidentally that misunderstanding is actually why there was contention over whether or not improv games are actually games and not just acting.

And its why its important to establish that we're actually speaking the same language.

What you think a mechanic is is probably different from what I think it is, and ultimately we're not describing different things per say, we just don't agree on what names go where.

All I see here is that you seem to be setting out to reinvent Rolemaster, or some of the elements of 3E D&D

Sure, in the sense that my numbers go up that high, but not so much in practice. That high value only corresponds to one specific value (Composure, my games "HP" equivalent) thats only reachable with the right combination of luck in chargen (nat40) and a specific class (Barbarian). And it naturally isn't a static value, so being able to use it is suitably reserved.

The rest of the game meanwhile is balanced around 50ish being the baseline maximum, sans boosts and such.

And meanwhile, where the numbers come from is drastically simpler (than Rollmaster, you'd have to remind me what you're referencing from 3e). You're just taking averages for the base stats and then adding them together for the derived stats. Ezpz.

Remove ads