• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Virtual Happy Hour (Brews & Spirits, Pics & Reviews)

Zardnaar

Legend
Back to old reliable, the he Stella was even more meh than the Phoenix IPA. Krombacher was free a thank you for feeding a cat.

IMG_20210123_134940.jpg

Stella was free would not buy it though prefer not to drink it.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have a friend who is a big Stella fan. I've never been able to figure out why.

Yeah there's better and cheaper euro macro lagers.

Here it's a "premium" beer costs a few bucks more per dozen than most.

Think it's a legacy thing when it was one of the few imported beers one could buy.

Zardnaar

Legend
At an Indian place warm summer night. Nothing kills a curry like a lager.

Took a punt on a hoppy pilsner. Not overly familiar with this brand.

IMG_20210127_180146.jpg

Not to bad. More flavour than my underwhelming IPA the other day. Thinkihave 2 left out of that dozen.

Would give this one a 7.5. Drinkable and enjoyable would buy at the right price. Has smoother/nicer hopped pilsners but also had worse.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Coopers Brewery Best Extra Stout from Australia. I was surprised by a kind of fruit taste at first and then wasn't sure for another sip or too. I think it reminds me of one of some high percent chocolate bars that have a fruit reminiscent flavor. Was happy to see beer Advocate agrees about the taste. They gave it an 87 (Very Good) 3.86/5. Seems right. Higher if you like the fruit on the edges, lower if not. In the middle for me. 6.3% ABV.

Attachments

• 1611962745845.png
    1611962745845.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 1611962758188.png
    1611962758188.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 88

Zardnaar

Legend
Coopers Brewery Best Extra Stout from Australia. I was surprised by a kind of fruit taste at first and then wasn't sure for another sip or too. I think it reminds me of one of some high percent chocolate bars that have a fruit reminiscent flavor. Was happy to see beer Advocate agrees about the taste. They gave it an 87 (Very Good) 3.86/5. Seems right. Higher if you like the fruit on the edges, lower if not. In the middle for me. 6.3% ABV.

Wonder if I can get that one here? I'll look for it tomorrow.

Aussie beer is terrible (worse than our traditional beers also terrible). but I haven't tried their craft beers much. Good wine though.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Finished off the last of my Saint Valentine's Stout, a beer I brewed with chocolate, vanilla, rum, and raspberry. Managed to get the perfect amount of carbonation.

Paired with a nice sun-grown indica. Got me focused on organizing my collection just right.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Finished off the last of my Saint Valentine's Stout, a beer I brewed with chocolate, vanilla, rum, and raspberry. Managed to get the perfect amount of carbonation.

Paired with a nice sun-grown indica. Got me focused on organizing my collection just right.

How.big of batches do you brew and what kind of set-up?

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
How.big of batches do you brew and what kind of set-up?
Usually 5.5 gallon batches.

It's a simple set-up. I have two converted Igloo coolers, one for the hot liquor and the other is the mash tun, with a false bottom. I cook in a 8 gallon SS pot over a propane camping stove.

I have a couple of glass carboys, one for primary and then once that's done, I rack into the secondary. I use both a PLAATO and a Tilt to monitor the fermentation. The PLAATO does a good job of tracking the activity, while the Tilt is good for monitoring SG and temp. I have an old 7" tablet that I use as a monitor.

I keep the carboys in my basement machine room. It's a steady 67* in there and there is virtually no sunlight. That makes it the ideal controlled environment for that. I keep the primary carboy on a worktable so when it's time to rack, I'm literally just putting the autosiphon in and letting gravity do the work. The primary carboy is 6.5 gallons. It's a nice visual cue for me to know which is primary and which is secondary and I can maximize my batches. Assuming about a half gallon of trub loss, I get about 2 cases of beer from a batch.

Zardnaar

Legend
Wife's birthday 2.0.

Nickel and Dime Dark by Good George.

IMG_20210204_174945.jpg

NZ microbrewery, stout ABV. Not to bad not much of a dark beer fan. Probably prefer a stronger porter/imperial stout in the 6.5-10% range.

Don't know until you try it's nice at least. 3.5/5 IPA next plan. Would drink again. Happy hour around $3 usd.

Remove ads