• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Virtual Happy Hour (Brews & Spirits, Pics & Reviews)

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I sure hope you won't get laughs!!!

I don't think I'll be very helpful unless you want to know who in central SC has good unsweet tea though. :)
I don't drink sweet tea either. I grew up in GA and never got the taste for sweet tea. Maybe it's due to a diabetic grandmother. I have family all over SC. 🙂

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I don't drink sweet tea either. I grew up in GA and never got the taste for sweet tea. Maybe it's due to a diabetic grandmother. I have family all over SC. 🙂

Nothing like a long road trip across the south. The gas stations will have two rows each of four kinds of sweet and double sweet (?!?!) tea, and the unsweet has a 50/50 chance of being sold out if there is even a spot for it.

I've gotten when I order at drive throughs where I way UN-sweet tea UN-sweet, and it's about an 90% chance of success getting the order right. "Yankee Tea" or "Northern Tea" would probably help.

Anyway, Carolina Cafe (bagel place) near the SC state house has the best tea I've found. I get the unsweet with a splash of sweet

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
(Beer snob hat on).

And here gentle beings we have an IPA imported from America.

IMG_20220824_172255.jpg

Belching Beaver Deftones Phantom Bride IPA 7.1 %

Made from California water I guess our USian cousins don't have glacier melt water and NZ Nelson grown hops to make their beer with. Opening the can faunt aromatic weak hops aroma with the faintest hint of citrus......

Screw that. Hat off. Yankee IPA, smelt like one not as strong aroma as my latest efforts on IPAs. As you know my care factor on IPAs is fairly low.

Early on drinking it I thought is just a typical IPA bit weaker on the tongue than a typical NZ one. That's not a bad thing a lot of IPAs here taste quite bitter and moar hops is an issue. Slightly bitter lingering taste but not to bad and went away the more I drank.

Reasonably well balanced, easy on the tongue, slightly weak flavour comparatively. Still for 7.1% that's probably a good thing.

Overall enjoyed it. Wasn't great 7.5/10 but not bad. Was gonna give it a 7 but pleasant finish gets it an extra half point. Easier to drink than a few NZ ones I've had. Problem is it's two-three times the price of beer here. Two of these are same price as a 6 pack of Emersons or 3 pouncy craft beers.

Beers last night both were nicer. It wasn't much stronger in flavour than last night's hopped Pilsner. Here it would probably get sold as a hazy.

It's on beer advocate. 9.0 sheesh that's generous lol.

Last edited:

G

Guest 7034872

I'm still just trying to get over the name, "Belching Beaver." Some images, once in your mind, become hard to remove.

Zardnaar

Legend
Re review.

Vailima 6.7 %

IMG_20220825_172310.jpg

The taste of Samoa. Almistva blast from the past. Smells like a traditional NZ beer from the 80's or 90's and comes in a ye old school 750ml bottle.

Here if we drink a crate it's 12 of these 750ml bottles in it. Crate day is a thing here. 12 of these would likely kill you though as each bottle is 4 standard drinks. NZ crate beer is usually 4% (and kinda crap).

As luck would have it we had a Samoan barmaid the other night and it's the only beer she likes. She was as unaware you could buy it locally. She said back home it's just a beer roughly their equivalent of a Heineken/Steinlager/Budweiser. Except it's 6.7%.

Anyway last time I think I gave it a decent rating. Has a nice hopped or grain aftertaste think I have found my Baltika 7 replacement except it's stronger and a bit smoother.

I would be lying if I said it's great but it's not bad for a generic macro lager. More you drink better it tastes. You can tell it's a classy drink by the green bottle, crooked label and the 80's or 90's vibe.

Better than a 7 so 8/10 in the macro lager category . Would drink it over a generic NZ/Aussie/US lager. It has flavour (unlike Bud), avoids the skunk taste (cheers Heineken) and avoids the unpleasant Australasian macro lager taste (VB Bitter, Speights, DB Export etc).

Kicks like a mule as an added bonus. Would probably get an extra point hot summer's day and you want to get plonked.

3 of these cost similar to two of those USA UPAs I had last night but clock in at 12 standard drinks. Talofa.

Well done Samoa thumbs up.

8.5 beer advocate.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads