D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

I'd see that if they weren't republishing the core rulebooks three.

Essentials was kinda like Rule Cyclopedia in that it was bundling up the rules in a new package and have new variations on the classes, but everything was published with a new name for clarity's sake. So we have Player's Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Player's Essentials: Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Rules Compendium, Dungeon Master's Kit, and Monster Vault. None of these had the same name and thus occupied the same position as the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide. But they served as a soft replacement.

2024 releases will be a harder reset, more like 3.5e, if only because it sounds like they're going to be republishing the PHB, MM, and DMG in new forms. But they intend for Xanathar's, Tasha's, and Mordenkainen Presents - at least in their 2022 republished incarnations - to be able to stand in companion with both the 2014 core rules and the 2024 core rules.

That makes me wonder if the Sorcerer subclasses in Xanathars are going to get an update to put them in line with the PHB 5.5e and Tasha Sorcerers, aka bonus spells? Because between those three books that would update all the Sorcerer subclasses (Xanathars- Divine Soul, Shadow Magic, Storm Magic), (Tasha's Aberrant/Psion Soul, Clockwork Soul), and (PHB 5.5e Wild Magic, Dragon Blooded, possible some new ones).

I think that technically the PHB 5e and PHB 5.5e will be compatible, mixing characters in a party that each takes stuff from both books won't break the game, all the mechanics will work, BUT just like having characters that only use books from pre Tasha's at the same table as characters that can use Tasha's, the former will feel extremely gimped by comparison to all the new stuff Tasha characters can.

Really 5.5e started with Tasha's not the 5.5e books which will only bring the core in line with Tasha's.

There is a reason why they had to dump PHB +1 in AL after Tasha's come out, because anyone whose +1 wasn't Tasha's got screwed.

So yeah you'll be able use 5e PHB in a game someone using 5.5e, but it will become quickly clear that you'll want to get using the 5.5e PHB or at least Tasha's as well.

Stuff that should be fine, Adventures, mostly or totality usable with 5.5e.

Xanathar's mostly fine, but you might want the latest errata for it, Tasha's fine, Fizban's Fine, Tome of Foe & Volo's usable, but your better off with Monsters of the Multiverse, setting books fine, except the SCAG which wasn't fine even BEFORE Tasha's. So it's 6 books that are of questionable value when 5.5e core comes out, 5e PHB, 5e MM, 5e DMG, Volo's, Tome of Foes, and the SCAG, techniquely perfectly usable except the SCAG, but will prove ultimately unsatisfactory at a table with 5.5e players.

PS Xanathar's shared universe stuff with its PHB +1 suggestion did NOT age well.

I doubt we’ll see a 5 minute short rest or anything else that drastic. Nothing that changes the core fundamentals of the rules to a great degree.
5 minute short rests are already in the DMG...
I really would not call that a drastic change.
Actually I would appreciate a restructuring of rests, as the current default rule is a mess...

Last edited:

There is a reason why they had to dump PHB +1 in AL after Tasha's come out, because anyone whose +1 wasn't Tasha's got screwed.

So yeah you'll be able use 5e PHB in a game someone using 5.5e, but it will become quickly clear that you'll want to get using the 5.5e PHB or at least Tasha's as well.
The rule was unnecessary from the start.
It was just a safety net if the rules prove less robust than they actually are.
No combination of books is broken in any way.
I also consider a rule consolidation after 10 years a good thing.
Now, if I play with new players I have to tell them that I use every optional rule from tasha (or I don't tell but still use them), a fresh new book would make it easier.
And even if I count everything I bought physically or digital, I am still below 1000 Dollar or 100 Dollar per year. And I bought all books we use in our group...

That is not expensive for a hobby... quite the opposite.

ECMO3

Hero
What evidence do you bring to the table that there is this huge plurality of feat users in the game? Are there some groups that use feats? Yup. That's evidenced by the fact that we have gotten new feats. But a majority? That would mean that the majority of groups are barely getting served. I see no evidence of that.

I love feats. I probably take them 3:1 vs an ASI. That said I have played with numerous groups of people across the US, Canada and Europe and I would say it is a substantial minority overall that take feats. Probably about 20%.

Same is true for multiclassing. I multiclass every character I played past 4th level except bladesingers (and I multiclassed half of them). But in the games I have played I can only think of 6 players other than me that multiclassed. That is out of around 50 that I played with . I am sure there are some I am forgetting, but I know it is a small minority.

Remove ads