• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters: General Discussion.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I suppose to the Aasimar write up, I get why people are saying it isn't as powerful as I thought.

Still, I can't help but think of what craziness a Scourge Aasimar with Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon could get up to.

I have my copy. Ask me anything.

Can you please describe the Goblin racial abilities and bonuses? Do they get any ability modifiers at all? What's the deal with the "bonus damage per short rest"? Are there any notes on goblin society? What do goblins do when they're not fighting PCs? Are they miners, crafters, farmers, what? How many noncombatant goblins per combatant goblin?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't find all this discussion of cattle particularly mooving me to get this book, but leather or not I decide to buy it, all the new races cud convince me. I need to ruminate more on this before I tip over into the "buy" column.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Can you please describe the Goblin racial abilities and bonuses? Do they get any ability modifiers at all? What's the deal with the "bonus damage per short rest"? Are there any notes on goblin society? What do goblins do when they're not fighting PCs? Are they miners, crafters, farmers, what? How many noncombatant goblins per combatant goblin?

Goblins get darkvision, nimble escape like the MM description, fury of the small, and +2 DEX and +1 Con. Fury of small, useable once per short or long rest, allows you to add your level to damage of any attack or spell you make against a target larger than you. There is a TON of information on goblin society and lore in this book. I particularly like how goblin casters are called "booyahgs" and those with wild magic care called "booyahg, booyahg, booyahg". That's just so goblin lol.

As an aside, I have the limited edition copy (I made a thread about my impressions), and I highly recommend it. The cover is beautiful. The black is almost like suede, and the silver is somewhat reflective in areas.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Two new Hags: Annis Hag (CR 6, Lives in mountainous regions), Bheur Hag (CR 7, lives in cold weather environments).

Xvart: 2 types. Small Chaotic Evil Humanoids. Xvart CR 1/8, Xvart Warlock of Raxivort CR 1.

Firenewts: Firenewts are cool. NE, 3 variants. Warrior (CR 1/2), Giant Strider (CR 1), Warlock of Imix (CR 1)

Not a lot of tables. Mostly just for PC race quirks. Tabaxi has a good one.

Remove ads