• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters: General Discussion.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Perhaps the most surprising reveal, but not entirely unwarranted; Pureblood Yuan-ti have always been the most "human" of Faerun's snake-folk, and did in fact get a PC writeup in the Serpent Kingdoms sourcebook for that setting back in 3e. As for their crunch... put it like this; there's powerful, there's overpowered, and there's "holy :):):):), what were you :):):):)ing thinking, WoTC?!" Yuan-ti fit pretty firmly into that last category: +2 Cha, +1 Int, Darkvision, Medium with Normal Speed, Poison Immunity, Poison Spray cantrip spell-like-ability, Suggestion 1/day, permanent Animal Friendship (snakes only) and, the cherry on top, "Magic Resistance: You have Advantage on all saving throws caused by spells and magical effects". Sweet crunchy christ..."

I found this on the internet. I was pretty close in my guess. I was right about Poison Spray being a full cantrip, Poison Immunity, Darkvision, Animal Friendship with snakes only. I wrong but close on suggestion, I thought it would be once per short rest, but it got nerfed to once per day, and I thought they'd drop magical resistance, but the Purebloods get it.

Still they over state their case at it being over powered. No physical stat bonus, poison spray is one of the weakest combat cantrips, dealing poison damage the worst form of damage you can deal because alots of stuff is immune to it, and having poor range, animal friendship with snakes is so narrow its going to be incredibly situational, darkvision is common in 5e races, suggestion is only once per day. Poison Immunity and Magic Resistance are good, with without these the Purebloods would be weak. Absolutely balanced in my opinion.

Several of those abilities look like pure ribbons: animal friendship with snakes will have it's uses, but is not a big thing, mainly flavor.

I have this idea now for a Pratchett-esque Yuan-Ti immigrant subculture in the big cities. Sure, the folks over in Snaketown/Little Najara aren't that into the old time snake cults, just looking to make a living and raise their families. However, there might be a mafia like presence in that part of town...

GarrettKP

Explorer
Aasimar are cool.

Base is the same as DMG but minus the spells and Wis bonus. Add in light cantrip, a lesser version of Lay on Hands and that's the base.

Protectors transformation makes them glow and sprout wings. They can fly 30 ft a turn and deal extra radiant once per turn equal to their level.

Scourges transformation causes them to light up and shed 10ft of bright light. At the end of each of their turns any creature within that light takes radiant damage equal to half their level. They also deal extra radiant once a turn equal to their level.

Fallen transformation causes their eyes to become pools of darkness and they sprout skeletal wings. When they do so any creature within 10 feet of them must make a Charisma save or be frightened. Also they deal necrotic damage once per turn equal to level. They can't fly with those wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gyor

Legend
Its kind of funny how many races have powerful build. Orcs, Bugbears, Goliaths, Firbolgs all have powerful build or as I call it, almost large ;p

gyor

Legend
Aasimar are cool.

Base is the same as DMG but minus the spells and Wis bonus. Add in light cantrip, a lesser version of Lay on Hands and that's the base.

Protectors transformation makes them glow and sprout wings. They can fly 30 ft a turn and deal extra radiant once per turn equal to their level.

Scourges transformation causes them to light up and shed 10ft of bright light. At the end of each of their turns any creature within that light takes radiant damage equal to half their level. They also deal extra radiant once a turn equal to their level.

Fallen transformation causes their eyes to become pools of darkness and they sprout skeletal wings. When they do so any creature within 10 feet of them must make a Charisma save or be frightened. Also they deal necrotic damage once per turn equal to level. They can't fly with those wings.

I hadn't heard of the lesser lay on hands ability, thanks, sounds awesome.

I love how Fallen Aasimar seem like normal Aasimar normally, healing people, creating light, if they're nice most people would see them as holy. Its only when they do their transformation that people crap there pants and realize, something is wrong with this Aasimar, that some how it isn't right, its tainted, still angellic normally, but wrong deep down inside in a fundelmental way, like a well of healing water, that someone dumped a little poison into.

And thanks for details on the Scourage as well, screams Avenger, Feyknight, and Assassin. Protector screams Devotion/Crown/Ancient Paladin, Cleric, Druid, Ranger. Fallen screams Blackguard, Assassin (who would normally suspect you, a Aasimar unless they see you transform), Necromancer, Warlock, Avenger, and rock and roll Bard.

So Aasimar are basically mini Paladins, the way Bugbears are mini Rogue/Barbarian hybrids, Goblins are mini Rogues, Purebloods mini Warlocks, Hobgoblins mini fighters, Tritons mini water sorcerors, Tabaxi mini monks, Lizardfolk mini Barbarian/Monks, ect...

Last edited:

GarrettKP

Explorer
I hadn't heard of the lesser lay on hands ability, thanks, sounds awesome.

I love how Fallen Aasimar seem like normal Aasimar normally, healing people, creating light, if they're nice most people would see them as holy. Its only when they do their transformation that people crap there pants and realize, something is wrong with this Aasimar, that some how it isn't right, its tainted, still angellic normally, but wrong deep down inside in a fundelmental way, like a well of healing water, that someone dumped a little poison into.

And thanks for details on the Scourage as well, screams Avenger, Feyknight, and Assassin. Protector screams Devotion/Crown/Ancient Paladin, Cleric, Druid, Ranger. Fallen screams Blackguard, Assassin (who would normally suspect you, a Aasimar unless they see you transform), Necromancer, Warlock, Avenger, and rock and roll Bard.

Once per rest they can heal someone their level of HP.

The Fallen are given a much more evil twist in the lore of the book. They don't have an angelic guide unlike the other two because they have rejected their heritage. While they don't have an alignment restriction it heavily implies that Fallen are evil.

gyor

Legend
Once per rest they can heal someone their level of HP.

The Fallen are given a much more evil twist in the lore of the book. They don't have an angelic guide unlike the other two because they have rejected their heritage. While they don't have an alignment restriction it heavily implies that Fallen are evil.

Sounds cool.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
TBF, when you stat up other beasts of burden like mules and riding horses, the Ox's exclusion is pretty glaring, especially when LMoP starts you off with Ox and no stats in case your players decide to use them in combat for whatever reason. You can use other stats for the purposes of oxen, but this is one of those things LMoP forgets to point out is an option.

I had forgotten about those oxen in LMoP. I guess they didn't see much action in my campaign. But I agree the Stat block for them should have been in the adventure. In Harried in Hillsfar the had Stat blocks for the Rothe.

Remove ads