D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters: General Discussion.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The stat blocks are arranged in alhpabetical order, while it seems that in the book they'll be grouped. Look again. The thing below cow is on page 133 while the cow is on 207

I get that; just not sure why there are so many variations on "cow" in particular?

Zarithar

Adventurer
Yes, I love the fact that we get 4 different cow types. Why do we need an entry for "cow" and then a further entry for "Ox", which is a castrated bull (otherwise known as a steer). Then we get the aurochs (wild ancestor of modern cattle), and the rothe (or drow cow). That's something people have clearly been asking for!

Another playable (but flightless) bird race and the goliath reprint are exciting as well.

I remember hearing that orcs and goblins would be statted out as playable races at one point. Guess I was mistaken.

What does excite me is a plethora of critters from the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks module, including the froghemoth and vegepygmy. Maybe the next AP will be based on that old module?

flametitan

Explorer
I get that; just not sure why there are so many variations on "cow" in particular?

Oh I see what you mean.

A cow and an Ox are raised differently (an Ox being more of a Beast of burdern than Dairy cows and meat cattle), while the Stench Kow is a classic D&D monster. The Rothe appears to be the Forgotten Realms Equivalent to a "giant" cow.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, I love the fact that we get 4 different cow types. Why do we need an entry for "cow" and then a further entry for "Ox", which is a castrated bull (otherwise known as a steer). Then we get the aurochs (wild ancestor of modern cattle), and the rothe (or drow cow). That's something people have clearly been asking for!

Another playable (but flightless) bird race and the goliath reprint are exciting as well.

I remember hearing that orcs and goblins would be statted out as playable races at one point. Guess I was mistaken.

What does excite me is a plethora of critters from the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks module, including the froghemoth and vegepygmy. Maybe the next AP will be based on that old module?

Lexie clarified on Reddir that the /Monstrous Adventurers" section page 118 gives the crunch for Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Kobolds and Yuan-Ti. No fluff in Chapter two, as they get lots of coverage in chapter one.

I think the question of what future storylines this release might tie into is a great discussion to have. Expedition to the Barrier Peak seems plausible. Lots of Fey, so a Faerie Court AP seems plausible. A humanoid war of some sort, perhaps? Gates of Firestorm Peak, with Mindflayers would fit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases