D&D 5E Vorpal weapon

Draegn

Explorer
A question for you lovely experts: if a player wielding a vorpal weapon declares he is using subduing damage would that mean the target is still dead with a broken neck instead of decapitation?

G

Guest 6801328

A question for you lovely experts: if a player wielding a vorpal weapon declares he is using subduing damage would that mean the target is still dead with a broken neck instead of decapitation?

I think if you attempt to do non-lethal damage with a Vorpal sword and you get a natural 20 it simply counts as an "oops" moment.

Next time let somebody else take the prisoner for interrogation.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I think [MENTION=47770]immortal[/MENTION]Sun is correct. I would also give some consideration to the vorpal weapon-wielding villain being disarmed by a battle master or via the Disarm action in the DMG (p. 271, if that is in play).

A set of manacles attaching the sword to the villain's gauntlet might be a fun twist (and flavorful to describe), and could lead to some interesting teamwork if the PCs try to divest the villain from its deadly weapon.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The damage can be subdual but if a 20 is rolled then the target's head is cut off regardless (and he's very non subdually dead).

Edit: beaten to the punch, but yes - quite dead.

Remove ads