Vote For The Most Anticipated RPG of 2022!

Vote For The Most Anticipated RPG of 2022!

• A|state (Handiwork Games)

• Apocalypse Keys (Evil Hat)

• Blade Runner (Free League)

• Blue Planet: Recontact (Biohazard Games)

• Broken Tales (The World Anvil Publishing)

• CHEW (Imagining Games)

• Cy-Borg (Stockholm Cartel)

• DCC Dying Earth (Goodman Games)

• Death in Space (Carl Niblaeus)

• Defiant (Game Machinery)

• Everway Silver Anniversary Edition (The Everway Company)

• Exquisite Crime (Hunters Books)

• Heroes and Hardships (Earl of Fife Games)

• Hunter: The Reckoning 5E (Renegade Studios)

• Into the Motherlands (Tanya DePass)

• Lords of the Middle Sea (Chaosium)

• Mothership 1E (Tuesday Night Games)

• Paranoia: The Perfect Edition (Mongoose)

• Pendragon 6E (Chaosium)

• Rivers of London (Chaosium)

• Salvage Union (Leyline Press)

• Shadow of the Weird Wizard (Schwalb Entertainment)

• Shield Maidens (Mongoose)

• Stonetop (Penny Lantern)

• Swords of the Serpentine (Pelgrane Press)

• Tales of Xadia (Fandom)

• The Devil Made Us Do It (Monte Cook Games)

• Transformers (Renegade Games)

• Urban Shadows 2E (Magpie Games)

• Victoriana 5E (Cubicle 7)

• Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5E (Renegade Studios)

• Wildsea (Mythopoeia)

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

As we do every year, it's time to vote for the most anticipated tabletop roleplaying game of the coming year! Here is last year's Top 10 (spoiler: the joint winners were Dune and Twilight 2000). Previous winners include 13th Age (2013), Star Wars Force & Destiny (2015), Rifts for Savage Worlds (2016), Trudvang Chronicles (2017), Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition (2018), Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (2019), Dune (2020 & 2021), and Twilight 2000 (2021). What will be the most anticipated RPG of 2022?

Note: you need to be logged in to the site to vote.

We took nominations. Now it's time to vote. What will be the most anticipated RPG of 2022? You can vote for up to 3 games. Voting will be open for 7 days, until January 2nd.

shutterstock_1452479252.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Why isn't my favourite game nominated? Did you nominate it?
  • Why isn't my nomination on the list? Check the nomination thread. If you made a valid nomination (name, link) and it's not in the poll, let me know ASAP so I can add it. The most common reasons for a game's nomination being invalid is because it's already out. Check DTRPG and make sure you can't already buy it there.
  • How does a game qualify? It must have been nominated by you in the nomination thread with a valid formatted nomination, it must be a standalone tabletop RPG (not a setting, adventure, supplement, etc.), and it's projected release date to the general public (not just Kickstarter backers) should be in 2022.

Last edited:

Well, I think it is a safe bet to say Avatar Legends is the most anticipated game of 2022. the success of it alone is a huge indicator in my books, along with Mothership 1E. how can you not love a little boxed set like classic DnD.
We’ll find out soon enough! However, Kickstarter success doesn’t always translate directly to these charts.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Stonetop:
  • It’s not a major publisher (e.g., Free League, Chaosium, etc.). It’s basically one writer’s passion project.
  • It’s not an adaptation of a famous IP (e.g., Blade Runner, Avatar Legends, Rivers of London).
  • It’s not a sequel or a next edition for a system. It grew from Dungeon World but it has become its own thing.

And despite all of these things, it’s still the project that I am looking forward to most. A romp into Iron Age “hearth fantasy” centered on the characters and their village of Stonetop.
Stonetop is my #1 too. I had to think a lot to narrow down what games were my #2 and #3, but Stonetop was a definite.

I’m surprised no one nominated Exalted Essence!

Stonetop:
  • It’s not a major publisher (e.g., Free League, Chaosium, etc.). It’s basically one writer’s passion project.
  • It’s not an adaptation of a famous IP (e.g., Blade Runner, Avatar Legends, Rivers of London).
  • It’s not a sequel or a next edition for a system. It grew from Dungeon World but it has become its own thing.

And despite all of these things, it’s still the project that I am looking forward to most. A romp into Iron Age “hearth fantasy” centered on the characters and their village of Stonetop.
Stonetop really does look great. I backed it, so I’ve already used elements (like that excellent inventory sheet) in another campaign. I don’t think I’ll ever run Stonetop proper but I think it’s a bit of a masterpiece, and I can imagine using the village sheet, framing and mechanics in all sorts of other games/systems.

Crusadius

Adventurer
Stonetop is my #1 too. I had to think a lot to narrow down what games were my #2 and #3, but Stonetop was a definite.

I’m surprised no one nominated Exalted Essence!
Estimated delivery is March 2023 for the PDF, October 2023 for the standard hardcover. So it’s not anticipated.

Aldarc

Legend
Stonetop really does look great. I backed it, so I’ve already used elements (like that excellent inventory sheet) in another campaign. I don’t think I’ll ever run Stonetop proper but I think it’s a bit of a masterpiece, and I can imagine using the village sheet, framing and mechanics in all sorts of other games/systems.
It's been a delight watching Stonetop's development over the past six years from a personal homebrew project to its successful crowdfunding to a soon-to-be published product. I have playtested it here and there as well as some of Strandberg's adjacent projects (i.e., Homebrew World). Stonetop scratches an itch that I have long suffered.

IMHO, I find that it's easier to build a TTRPG off an established IP, particularly with an established publishing company (e.g., Free League, Chaosium, etc.), than creating one from whole cloth. IME, the IP itself does a lot of heavy lifting for its hype. I have no doubt that Blade Runner, Dune, Rivers of London, Tales of Xadia, Dying Earth, or Avatar are/will be well-written TTRPGs that represent their material well.

However, I find myself harboring greater anticipation for the projects that amount to more than a good company getting the rights to an IP. I think the TTRPGs I anticipate the most tend to be labors of love that have been hammered out over years with one or two main authors (e.g., Stonetop, Swords of the Serpentine, etc.).

Estimated delivery is March 2023 for the PDF, October 2023 for the standard hardcover. So it’s not anticipated.
I had a mini-heart attack reading your comment thinking that you were talking about Stonetop and not Exalted Essence. 😖

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
If Pendragon is one of the games you're eagerly anticipating for 2022, check out the series of Design Journals the Pendragon line editor David Larkins is doing each month until the game's release next year. His latest one looks at how the new edition handles two of the game’s most definitive Statistics: Honor and Glory.

tommasodb

Villager
Hello, Tommaso here, I'm half of The World Anvil Publishing, and someone nominated Broken Tales (thank you! It came as a bit of a surprise, there are some amazing games on the list). If you don't know anything about the game you can take a look at the Kickstarter campaign (now concluded, Late Pledge closes in early January, the link is on the Kickstarter button at the top). The quickstart is free to download here and on DriveThruRPG (but the first link includes the soundtrack).

I usually update the campaign every two weeks so hopefully plenty of progress is on display :) Below are a couple of layout/illustration screenshots, so you get the vibe. Ray, posting yours was definitely a good idea, eh eh (I'm a Wildsea backer!).

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 11.39.43.png

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 11.39.48.png

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases