D&D 5E Vote for Todays Best Adventures for Use in 5E

Vote for your favorite 3 adventures to use with 5E

• Age of Worms

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Beyond Icespire (Storm Lord's Wrath / Sleeping Dragon's Wake / Divine Contention)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Calebais The Broken Covenant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrion Crown

• Castle Amber

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Curse of Strahd

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Dark of Hot Springs Island

• Death frost doom (LotFP)

• Dragon Heist

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Dragon of Icespire Peak

• The Enemy Within

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Five Coins for a Kingdom

• The Forge of Fury

• Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen

• Hot Springs Island

• The Isle of Dread (OAR #2)

• Keep on the Borderlands

• Kingmaker

• The Last Breaths of Ashenport

• Lost City (B4/OAR4)

• Lost Mines of Phandelver

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • The Night Below

• Night's Dark Terror (X10)

• Odyssey of the Dragonlords

• Pharaoh

• Princes of the Apocalypse

• Rappan Athuk

• Red Hand of Doom

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Reign of Winter

• Rise of the Runelords

• Savage Tide

• Scourge of the Sword Coast

• Shackled City

• Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh

• Skull & Shackles

• Storm King's Thunder

• The Sunless Citadel

• Tales of the Old Margrave

• Temple of Elemental Evil (OAR #6)

• Tomb of Annihilation

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Tomb of Horrors (from TotYP)

• Tyranny of Dragons

• Way of the Wicked

• White Plume Mountain (TFtYP version)

• Poll closed .

Back in ye olden days you could run a poll like this and be confident that most players would have some familiarity with most of the titles on the list. But that was when D&D was much smaller. There is a thread on "shared experience" around somewhere. But I don't know anything about 62% of the titles on this list, so I have no idea if they are good, bad or indifferent. I would imagine that is true for most players.
Absolutely. But I still find these useful. Not to find the one best adventure for 5E (because that is always going to be subjective anyway), but instead to get a prioritized list of adventures to look into for future campaigns etc.

Stormonu

Legend
Ravenloft is good, regardless of the edition, I have found. The expansion and detailing of the surrounding areas was just topping to already sumptuous cake.

Mines of Phandelver wowed me for hitting all the right notes for a D&D adventure - intro dungeon/fight, overland travel, wilderness encounters, unusual NPC interactions and some well-planned and stocked dungeons. It just felt “right”.

I’ve played in the old U1-U3 series and ran Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and enjoyed it a great deal. There’s a lot of mystery and thinking in this adventure, and it isn’t something you can just hack your way through (Well, at least until you figure out what’s REALLY going on). It has one rough spot (the U2 section), but that’s only because an on-the-ball party might figure things out extremely quickly and trivialize that section (but still have plenty of diplomatic things to do).

I wanted to put in a vote for Lost City, but alas I haven’t had the chance to actually run it in 5E, and my attempt to run it back in the ‘80s didn’t pan out because I didn’t understand that it was much, much more than a mere dungeon delve - it was a living ecosystem/world in a dungeon environment.

Lastly, I wish I could give good marks to Tomb of Annihilation, but the DM I’ve been bearing it under has made mincemeat of its contents and its been utterly underwhelming. I don’t even know what elements we’ve been going through are parts of the module and what aren’t - and I’ve refrained from reading it as its an active game for me.

I'm really going to have to check out Strahd. It's never appealed to me for some reason, but with all the positive reviews here, seems like it would just be stubbornness keeping me from at least reading it now.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If one slowed down level advancement to an absolute crawl (by 5e standards - say, one level per two adventures) and settled in for a ten-fifteen year run, one could make a hella good campaign out of just stringing all those adventures together in the right sequence. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Having now run both the original I6 Ravenloft, and Curse of Strahd... the one conclusion I have come to (should I ever run it again) is to NOT have the party go to Madam Eva's for the card reading so early in the adventure.

Assuming I have a group that is unfamiliar with this adventure... I think future parties would be better served arriving and discovering what is going on without being told right off the bat "The dude in the Castle is a bad guy, and here are three things you need to go find if you want to kill him!". Instead, I think the whole thing would be more compelling if the party discovered they were stuck in Baratok Valley and had to deal with a bunch of issues, but have no idea how/why they are happening. And then perhaps they could go to the Castle and meet the Lord, perhaps having a meal with him, without knowing what is up. But then going to Vallaki, meeting the revenants from the Silver Dragon Knights, meeting members of the Vistani and exploring the whole area... and slowly learning what is up with Count von Zarovich.

Only after the party realizes how screwed they truly are being stuck here does Madam Eva eventually arrive and they get pushed (or they make the decision) to go see her and they find out what the problem is and what they need to do about it. Because at that point they may have already had a couple meetings with Strahd and have developed a relationship with him (good or bad). It would give the group more of a chance to establish themselves in the area before finally going on their vampire killing spree.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases