D&D 5E Vote for Todays Best Adventures for Use in 5E

Vote for your favorite 3 adventures to use with 5E

• Age of Worms

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Beyond Icespire (Storm Lord's Wrath / Sleeping Dragon's Wake / Divine Contention)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Calebais The Broken Covenant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrion Crown

• Castle Amber

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Curse of Strahd

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Dark of Hot Springs Island

• Death frost doom (LotFP)

• Dragon Heist

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Dragon of Icespire Peak

• The Enemy Within

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Five Coins for a Kingdom

• The Forge of Fury

• Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen

• Hot Springs Island

• The Isle of Dread (OAR #2)

• Keep on the Borderlands

• Kingmaker

• The Last Breaths of Ashenport

• Lost City (B4/OAR4)

• Lost Mines of Phandelver

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • The Night Below

• Night's Dark Terror (X10)

• Odyssey of the Dragonlords

• Pharaoh

• Princes of the Apocalypse

• Rappan Athuk

• Red Hand of Doom

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Reign of Winter

• Rise of the Runelords

• Savage Tide

• Scourge of the Sword Coast

• Shackled City

• Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh

• Skull & Shackles

• Storm King's Thunder

• The Sunless Citadel

• Tales of the Old Margrave

• Temple of Elemental Evil (OAR #6)

• Tomb of Annihilation

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Tomb of Horrors (from TotYP)

• Tyranny of Dragons

• Way of the Wicked

• White Plume Mountain (TFtYP version)

• Poll closed .
Absolutely. But I still find these useful. Not to find the one best adventure for 5E (because that is always going to be subjective anyway), but instead to get a prioritized list of adventures to look into for future campaigns etc.
But it makes excellent-but-obscure adventures look bad in comparison to well-known-but-mediocre adventures.

In particular, the WotC adventures are going to get over-rated since far more people know them.

You would be better running separate polls for WotC and non-WotC stuff. Or have a poll that allows downvotes as well as upvotes.

But it makes excellent-but-obscure adventures look bad in comparison to well-known-but-mediocre adventures.

In particular, the WotC adventures are going to get over-rated since far more people know them.
Only if one tries to, or assumes, that number of votes is an unbiased representation of how good an adventure is. A person should always try to understand the context in which numbers/statistics are collected and reported.

WotC vs non-Wotc might help, but certainly wouldn't remove bias from the numbers. For several reasons; we know 3rd party adventures have a huge range of sales and exposure. So something from Frog God versus something from a lone author on DMsG are not equal in exposure or sales. Plus what about an adventure that has been around for decades versus one released yesterday? And then even among the WotC adventures, ones like Sleeping Dragon's Wake are hardly known, because they were released quietly without fanfare and not as one of the annual big books.
You would be better running separate polls for WotC and non-WotC stuff. Or have a poll that allows downvotes as well as upvotes.
The beauty of a place like ENWorld is that everyone can create their own polls and threads with their own goals and preferences. Go for it!

Last edited:

The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan was amazing. Not sure how I didn't play through that back in the day, but somehow 5e was my first crack at it. Sunless Citadel was also great.

Excluding updated older adventures, the peak of 5e for me was the Tomb of the Nine Gods at the end of ToA. There were rooms in there so Gygaxian, it's like they held a séance.

Phandelver was the perfect adventure to learn and teach a new edition and it was very open to just natural play progression. ToA was an awesome adventure. When it was first announced I didn't think I would like it but boy was I wrong. The players loved it too. The Lost City was a blast back in the day and I can see some inspiration was taken from it for ToA as well.

Remove ads