• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Vote Up A 5e-alike, Part 2: Lineages/Heritages

Basic Heritages

• Humans *only*

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Humans

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Dwarfs

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Elves

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Gnomes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Halflings

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Gnomes & Halflings combined into a "smallfolk" people

• Orcs

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Tieflings

• Aasimar

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Genasi

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Generic "planetouched" people instead of tieflings, aasimar, genasi

• Goblins

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Kobolds

• Tabaxi

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Generic "beastfolk" people

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No non-human races specified but you can make your own a la Tasha's or by picking from a list of opt

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (specify in comments)

• Specific half-races (half-elf, half -orc)

• Any half-race you can imagine by picking traits from the parent races

• Poll closed .

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'd prefer Lizardfolk to Dragonborn too, if it had been an option, though they could fit as a Beastfolk lineage maybe. I am kinda surprised about Tieflings and Tabaxi but overall I'm happy with how things have fallen, especially with goblins:)
As am I. Lizardfolk could work as you say, but I personally feel they have enough cache to count as their own entry.

Micah Sweet

i like both dragonborn and lizardfolk, just because they're both reptiles doesn't mean they don't both fill different niches, though the canabilism(is it still canabilism if they're eating another species?) aspect of lizardfolk is something i think we can do without.
One of the best things about lizardfolk is it allows you to play up the alien aspect of not even being mammalian. My last lizardfolk PC used to vaguely talk about eating dead PCs all the time. To him there was nothing wrong with it. Just be aware of your audience.

You can do something similar with dragonborn I suppose, but dragons have their own baggage.

Micah Sweet

That Orcs finished so high is the real surprise here, at least to me.
People love to play orcs. Its weird. To me orcs are either Tolkien slaves to evil or insanely aggressive nut jobs dedicated to goin' fasta' and more dakka (and spelled with a K).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
100% its the reason from what I can tell. I see nothing out there that has the ability to shift the global consciousness like that.
Oh, it's 100% WoW (although Eberron did a nice reconceptualizing of Orcs in the D&D space just prior to WoW's release).

After 19 years, WoW is definitely my first touchpoint for what D&D-style fantasy should look like. Lots of races mixed in a very cosmopolitan manner, strong, easily identifiable class identity, high magic with some magitech, but not steampunk or magitech industrial revolution.

Remove ads