• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Vote Up A 5e-alike, Part 2: Lineages/Heritages

Basic Heritages

• Humans *only*

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Humans

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Dwarfs

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Elves

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Gnomes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Halflings

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Gnomes & Halflings combined into a "smallfolk" people

• Orcs

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Tieflings

• Aasimar

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Genasi

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Generic "planetouched" people instead of tieflings, aasimar, genasi

• Goblins

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Kobolds

• Tabaxi

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Generic "beastfolk" people

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No non-human races specified but you can make your own a la Tasha's or by picking from a list of opt

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other (specify in comments)

• Specific half-races (half-elf, half -orc)

• Any half-race you can imagine by picking traits from the parent races

• Poll closed .

Faolyn

(she/her)
People love to play orcs. Its weird. To me orcs are either Tolkien slaves to evil or insanely aggressive nut jobs dedicated to goin' fasta' and more dakka (and spelled with a K).
Orcs re basically blank slates, since they have next to no culture--if Tolkien gave them one beyond being slaves to evil, I doubt any but the dedicated Tolkienistas really know about it, and D&D certainly didn't bother with much beyond "their gods made them evil"--so you can basically make them into whatever you want. Plus, they're big, muscle-y guys and gals, which a lot of people like for one reason or another; they're Proud Warrior Guys which gives them a useful niche; they're not so inhuman-looking to be thought of either as aliens or furries; and they're just edgy enough to appeal to the Edgy crowd while not being so edgy as to alienate those who hate the Edgy crowd.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Orcs re basically blank slates, since they have next to no culture--if Tolkien gave them one beyond being slaves to evil, I doubt any but the dedicated Tolkienistas really know about it, and D&D certainly didn't bother with much beyond "their gods made them evil"--so you can basically make them into whatever you want. Plus, they're big, muscle-y guys and gals, which a lot of people like for one reason or another; they're Proud Warrior Guys which gives them a useful niche; they're not so inhuman-looking to be thought of either as aliens or furries; and they're just edgy enough to appeal to the Edgy crowd while not being so edgy as to alienate those who hate the Edgy crowd.
Too much of a Trekkie here. You try to pry them away from Tolkien or 40k and they just turn into Klingons for me. And as a Dragonlance fan I've always preferred minotaur for that.

Scribe

Legend
Plus, they're big, muscle-y guys and gals, which a lot of people like for one reason or another; they're Proud Warrior Guys which gives them a useful niche; they're not so inhuman-looking to be thought of either as aliens or furries; and they're just edgy enough to appeal to the Edgy crowd while not being so edgy as to alienate those who hate the Edgy crowd.

Exactly.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Too much of a Trekkie here. You try to pry them away from Tolkien or 40k and they just turn into Klingons for me. And as a Dragonlance fan I've always preferred minotaur for that.
Well, yeah! The Klingon culture makes for a fantastic fantasy trope. WoW made them into shamanic Klingons, and it’s a great flavor that doesn’t clash with established D&D tropes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well, yeah! The Klingon culture makes for a fantastic fantasy trope. WoW made them into shamanic Klingons, and it’s a great flavor that doesn’t clash with established D&D tropes.
Oh, I get it. Like I said, I'm a Trekkie. I love Klingons, and they do work great in fantasy. I just believe that there are so many intelligent heritages in D&D, you've got to find a place for them all if you're going to use them. Tolkien (and later GW) already did that for orcs to me, and my personal history with fantasy led me to use minotaurs for the "proud warrior race" role.

That being said, I sometimes use orcs in the modern way as well, usually because players expect it. Often their history in my worlds starts with them as slaves to evil though; I have no hang-ups about the former slave origin.

I once ran a D&D in space game with an orc player where the party encountered a 40k ork. "I don't know what that is, but it's not an orc".

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Oh, I get it. Like I said, I'm a Trekkie. I love Klingons, and they do work great in fantasy. I just believe that there are so many intelligent heritages in D&D, you've got to find a place for them all if you're going to use them. Tolkien (and later GW) already did that for orcs to me, and my personal history with fantasy led me to use minotaurs for the "proud warrior race" role.

That being said, I sometimes use orcs in the modern way as well, usually because players expect it. Often their history in my worlds starts with them as slaves to evil though; I have no hang-ups about the former slave origin.

I once ran a D&D in space game with an orc player where the party encountered a 40k ork. "I don't know what that is, but it's not an orc".
Oh, don't get me wrong, Warhammer Orks are fun guys. :)

Remove ads