• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vow of Poverty and a 'party' Cure wand

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Pagan priest said:
Can a person really be dominated into actually owning an item? Using it, yes I can see that with no problem, but ownership is a state of mind as much as it is a matter of possesion. The other vow feats are about actions (never do this, always do that), the VoP is about a concept (don't "own"...) and that really seems to be the difference. A person may be compeled to pick up and use a wand, or put on a gem encrusted robe, but does that person accept ownership of the item?

He doesn't have to, since the Vow of Poverty also forbids use of magic items.

A VoP who picks up a wand and uses it has broken his Vow. A VoP who is dominated into picking up a wand and using it... has broken his Vow as its written in the BoED.

-Hyp.

irdeggman

First Post
Pagan priest said:
Can a person really be dominated into actually owning an item? Using it, yes I can see that with no problem, but ownership is a state of mind as much as it is a matter of possesion. The other vow feats are about actions (never do this, always do that), the VoP is about a concept (don't "own"...) and that really seems to be the difference. A person may be compeled to pick up and use a wand, or put on a gem encrusted robe, but does that person accept ownership of the item?

VoP will not allow you to even "borrow" an item, which is clearly not "ownership" in anyone's mind.

You may not, however "borrow" a cloak of resistance or any other magic items from a companion for even a single round, nor may you yourself cast a spell from a scroll, wand, or staff.

So "state of mind" technically has nothing to do with it either.

Jhulae

First Post
pallandrome said:
I run pallys and VoP types under the "best effort" rule.

Lets say that Bob the monk is about to kick the bucket, and Timmy the VoP cleric, out of spells, is trying to save him. He can...

A) Grab the wand, say "Screw VoP, I'm not gonna let my friend die!", and save Bob.

or

B) Let Bob die, in order to save his VoP.

Or, Lil Timmy can C) Use the Heal skill and stabalize Bob. And Lil Timmy has kept Bob alive and hasn't broken his VoP.

Because, you know, there are other ways of preventing characters from dying other than using a magic item or spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads