• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vow of Poverty PCs... stories please

frankthedm

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
I find that when playing vop, that I will want to grab all that eq and call dibs, but then I realize...
That a quater of it still has to leave party hands. :D Don't forget, BOED poverty calls upon you to donate your share of the treasure to a charitable orginization.

vopzw9.gif

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Yeah, thats the other fun part. VoP tests the DM too. When you go find a place where people are basically working for slave wage and give all of them 2,000 gold, it puts the DM on the spot a bit.

Unkabear

First Post
I played a VOP Elan Psion...who my dm encouraged to be venerable. I had a blast with him though it was not an overly fight heavy campaign and with the ability to rest up quite a bit I did over power the party a bit. In the end it was not as much fun as I would have liked and if everyone else were twinked out it would have been a blast, as is we decided to go up against an overpowered monster and kill him valiantly. I still put up quite a fight but in the end did get gobbled.

For that particular set up Psi/VOP I would only suggest it for a fight heavy, magic rich environment. Otherwise he will be too strong for the group, with way too many pp to blow per encounter.

TYPO5478

First Post
FrostedMini1337 said:
Don't let your DM know you're going for sainthood. It's just a bad idea. It's supposed to be a reward for you being good and suffering for your cause. It's doesn't seem so saint-er-iffic when your DM finds out you're just doing it for a template.
Any character with a VoP should already be Exalted (and hence, living an Exalted lifestyle). And presumably the player (not the character) is doing that "just for the benefits." Sainthood, being an even more scrupulous status than Exalted, likewise has higher requirements of behavior. Even if the player just wants the power the template will bring, the character may have perfectly good and pure reasons for doing what he does to attain such a lofty station. That's why I say let your DM know you're looking at that template; he may even give you situations where you can show just how saintly you can be.

Question said:
Most DMs will never hit upon the idea of giving you the saint template.
That's why you have to ask for him to consider it.

Question said:
First they have to know it exists, and have the book or at elast the details involved.
It's in the BoED, same as VoP. If the DM has given the book a thorough read, he should at least know about the template (and if he hasn't, why is he allowing it in his campaign?).

Question said:
Secondly im betting most will at best give you a really good reputation and such.
The VoP character should already have a "really good reputation;" he is Exalted, after all.

Particle_Man

Explorer
TYPO5478 said:
The VoP character should already have a "really good reputation;" he is Exalted, after all.

In fact, you can take "Nimbus of Light" as one of your exalted bonus feats. One perk is that anyone who sees you AUTOMATICALLY knows that you are a servant of good, etc.

I find that it saved so much time.

Guard: Ok, what are you scummy types doing in our fair city?

(VOP-guy turns Nimbus of Light on)

Guard: Oh well then never mind sir.

Of course, when fighting demons it was the equvalent of drawing aggro.

OMG a VOP Knight! Would that work?

FrostedMini1337

First Post
I kinda hate my DM now.

I may as well of not had nimbus of light. Or stigmata. No NPC ever noticed or cared.

And he was unaware that sianthood existed and made it abundantly clear that I would need to die to become one, in his view. And I'd have to get rez'd to gain sainthood, which he said would go against my VoP.

Another DM hijacked the campaign and gave it to me, but man I'm jealous of you kids.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
frankthedm said:
That a quater of it still has to leave party hands. :D Don't forget, BOED poverty calls upon you to donate your share of the treasure to a charitable orginization.

vopzw9.gif

i did take the loot but you know that exited feeling right after killing the bad guy but before the dm tells you what he had? well I would get that and then push it away realizing it didn’t matter. And yes I did give away my share but I let the other players take what they wanted first. I read vop and boed around 30-40 times making sure I was playing it right and I ran everything by the dm too many times not be annoying.

Although I’m glade that you posted. If one reads the rules verbatim vop is really impossible. Vop requires that the player talk to the dm about it and find what goes and what doesn’t. I’m not saying its impossible not to use magic items, but there are really mean situations were a vop character can loose vop if the dm is jerk. An example for druids though. Make sure if your dm allows holly. By the sprit of the feat it’s ok because it’s not something of value. Vop speaks of monitory value that is given away but some things of value that are everywhere. Like air or Holly. A druid probably has the philosophy that he isent owning the holly leaf as you can’t own a forest. However a dm could say because holly is not on the list that it violates vop and if that’s the kind of dm you have, JUST say NO, because with that kind of reading you know that he will say something retarted like the air you breath violates vop. Vop really requires more then just an understand of the English language. That’s why it’s for mature players (no joke). I hear vop characters cant wear eye patches too.

not too single you out but it gets old when people quote boed and vop in a matter of fact ... yes yes we get it... ether your munchkining vop and thats a huge no no, or you know how vop works so lets get on with it...

no hard feelings though ;)

edit* i knotice alot of people (in other threads) say if you do un exalted acts you loose vop FOREVER, but this is not the case. In fact you can get back exalted status through atonment. It says... someplace. I forget. but if you dont beleave me i will find it.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Moon-Lancer said:
edit* i knotice alot of people (in other threads) say if you do un exalted acts you loose vop FOREVER, but this is not the case. In fact you can get back exalted status through atonment. It says... someplace. I forget. but if you dont beleave me i will find it.

I officially do not beleave you. Go find the reference.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
oh is that so? not to steal the thread but, page 20 and page 39 . Undo your evil action and atone. bingo
(Edit: sorry, but the comments on real-world religion are not appropriate for these boards.)

by breaking alighnment you do not break vop, only your exaltedness and thus do not qualify for the feat untill you fix your alighnment. Now here is the kicker. If you do not qualify for the feat but you have taken it, can you use magic iteams now that your feat is gone temporaraly. better yet, becuse anti magic fields take away exalted feats (like vop altough i know it doesent) can you use a martial weapon in a antimagic field? better yet, can you get a manticure in a anti magic field and not violate your vow. Ah the fun of reading the rules as writen in boed over common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostedMini1337

First Post
There's different rules for atonement. I'm pretty sure you can only get the feat back via atonement if you did it under the effect of a compulsion. (A failed save)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads