• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vow of Poverty PCs... stories please

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
shilsen said:
Your DM swallowed an Epic Dread Necromancer? That has GOT to give you a stomach ache ;)

Firstly, THAT is why Shilsen is one of my favorite people here. Secondly, I dislike whena DM refuses to allow something that SHOULD be allowed, unless he says in the beginning of the campaign "I'm not allowing _____________" and lists (at least the books he won't be accepting stuff from; and by books I mean "no 3rd parties, and no psionics" THAT kind of list... not individual books) I'm a DM, and if I fail to not allow something at the beginning, it's my own fault. Buuut, he has every right to ask for some form of RP, not just "I took the feat, now I have it" that's really the only defense I have some times... make them HAVE TO receive training or that special ritual that the vows calls for, because then they'll have to find someone to help them perform it.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
frankthedm said:
You just need to look harder. Here it is where the BOED notes that evil acts can be forgiven for an exalted character.

Bust the vow and the powers go bye-bye forever. That is why the words are ”irrevocably lose the benefit of the feat.”

ir•rev•o•ca•ble
adj.
Impossible to retract or revoke: an irrevocable decision.

irrevocability ir•rev'o•ca•bil'i•ty or ir•rev'o•ca•ble•ness n.

irrevocably ir•rev'o•ca•bly adv.

Odd I know all this, I know what irrevocability means. We are getting the vow and exalted confused I beleave. Actually I am having a hard time figuring out the point of posting the part of vop everyone knows as if they dident. The part i spoke about twisting your vow in antimagic zones was really just makeing fun of people who think vop goes away in a antimagic field becuse its a exalted feat. I was pointing out how following the rules directly without common sense can lead to disaster and confliction with the game.

but to my creadit, you dident read my post. Sure if you have vop and do non vop stuff.. boom no more vop. But your dm says your vop goes away in a antimagic field, what vop are you then breaking?

Last edited:

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
Odd I know all this, I know what irrevocability means. We are getting the vow and exalted confused I beleave. Actually I am having a hard time figuring out the point of posting the obverse. The part i spoke about twisting your vow in antimagic zones was really just makeing fun of people who think vop goes away in a antimagic field becuse its a exalted feat. I was pointing out how following the rules directly without common sense can lead to disaster and confliction with the game.
On THAT note: Where does it even HINT at the Antimagic fields negating Exalted feats, because I've read through the BoED and it doesn't say anything to that effect...

Moon-Lancer

First Post
its right in the begining of the feats section. the its in the orange page that is hard too read. It says they are supernatural, thus go away in a antimagic field. However vop lists abilities that are ex: so ... its just strange, the faq already addressed the issue saying vop does not go away in a antimagic field but sometimes i still see posts that say they do just becuse of that one line in the begining of the feats section. very anoying.

anyway its sill to argue this. I wish i could contribute more to the exprences of playing vop but i have already done this.

moritheil

First Post
Getting back on topic, the VoP Paladin in my campaign is more or less perfectly balanced - she hits very hard, but has AC issues.

Cartigan Mrryl

First Post
Drowbane said:
"Broken" took down your Uber-ghoul because of a.... critical?

A x5 Critical, to be exact... never seen 6 20s in a row. I almost felt cheated... but yeah, he really was Uber... I mean, he could quicken and empower Nights Caress, then empower another one in the same round... if I rolled max for BOTH that'd be 180 Hp DMG, and 24 Con DMG (if he failed his Fort save)... and I nearly had him too, but OH! THE REMATCH!

Stupid Vows... if he didn't have them i could've obliterated him, I mean, I had an AC of 58! 58! My HP was... around 180-ish... yeah. Gonna have a rematch in a few weeks, sooo oh! yeah, that topic....

moritheil

First Post
Cartigan Mrryl said:
A x5 Critical, to be exact... never seen 6 20s in a row. I almost felt cheated... but yeah, he really was Uber... I mean, he could quicken and empower Nights Caress, then empower another one in the same round... if I rolled max for BOTH that'd be 180 Hp DMG, and 24 Con DMG (if he failed his Fort save)... and I nearly had him too, but OH! THE REMATCH!

Stupid Vows... if he didn't have them i could've obliterated him, I mean, I had an AC of 58! 58! My HP was... around 180-ish... yeah. Gonna have a rematch in a few weeks, sooo oh! yeah, that topic....

I think Drowbane is pointing out that undead are immune to criticals. To which I should add that there are numerous ways to get around that.

Regarding AC, this may interest you.

Rashak Mani

First Post
moritheil said:
Getting back on topic, the VoP Paladin in my campaign is more or less perfectly balanced - she hits very hard, but has AC issues.

Moritheil... I would be very interested to see how you built this Paladin of yours. I checked out your campaign page... but there was no info on individual characters.

If you'd rather send it to my email... I'd appreciate it... thanks

lebe666@yahoo.com

Janx

Hero
Moon-Lancer said:
An example for druids though. Make sure if your dm allows holly. By the sprit of the feat it’s ok because it’s not something of value. Vop speaks of monitory value that is given away but some things of value that are everywhere. Like air or Holly. A druid probably has the philosophy that he isent owning the holly leaf as you can’t own a forest. However a dm could say because holly is not on the list that it violates vop

One could argue that the holly is a spell component (in effect it is, even if its for a special ability or feat). A VoP wizard could own the thousands of GP worth of diamond dust, AS a spell component.

By all accounts, a monk makes the best VoP, because by their nature, they don't need any gear. I've also seen Vop Forsaker Monks, which really pushes the I don't need gear, and I'll destroy it to get more power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads