D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

So how would you do it?

Calling this "rules lawyering" isn't something I would do, personally. The rule is there and it is just how the system works. Its not perfect of course, so it can certainly be altered from table to table to fit your style/needs.

I wouldn't either. I can accept hiw the rules work. But I really don't like too much of it.
Something that would make more sense would be using the edges of your base to connect lines.

MarkB

Legend
From the Center of the token.
That's not particularly realistic though, because it doesn't reflect how creatures who are in high cover can still peer past that cover quite easily. Take this example:
CoverExample.png

Now, in the real world, a person who's in the orc's position need only peer one eyeball around the edge of that wall, leaving the rest of their body entirely in cover, and they'd clearly see the duergar, with no cover at all - and the rules for measuring from a corner reflect that.

But if we have to measure from the centre of the orc's space, not only is the duergar completely invisible to him, it would still be so until it moved right up to the corner. Meanwhile the orc, despite very obviously being in a far better cover position than the duergar, is actually visible to the duergar under your rules, because a line can be drawn from the centre of the duergar's token that does intersect with at least a sliver of the orc's token.

But if you use a square-base, wouldn't that just be the same as using the corners of the square of the grid?
Most bases are circular.

I really don't want to go into detail anymore. Lets just say, the drawn line was correct by the rules but hard to justify in fiction.
In TotM I would just let Vecna teleport or the mage walk to a safe space where they can't see each other. If it might be difficult I'd just allow an int check to correctly judge the distance.

Remove ads