D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

dave2008

Legend
A challenge rating 26 is a Deadly encounter for a party of four 20th-level PCs. That is a solo threat IMO anyway...

Level 20 Deadly XP Threshold is 12,700 XP
Times four PCs is 50,800 XP
A single monster is a X1 multiplier (at CR 26 Vecna is worth 90,000 XP).
Since 90,000 is definitely greater than 50,800, it is a deadly encounter. 🤷‍♂️
That is only "deadly" with multiple encounters per day. A solo threat would take 75-100% of your daily XP budget. So that is 30,000-40,000 XP* per 20th lvl character. So Vecna is a solo threat to 3, maybe 4, 20th level PCs. Of course that is just by the RAW numbers, what is truly a threat varies by party composition, terrain, and how a monster is played.

*From the Adventure Day XP table in the DMG.

See also: Epic Encounters

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I am not sure if the Cast and Release thing would be immune to counterspell. Releasing it could still be considered part of casting it.
But, it isn't--the spell has already been cast and is "held" until released.

1655057950321.png

So, I cast it, with total cover since Vecna has no line of sight (and can't counterspell), move, and release when the trigger is satisfied.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That is only "deadly" with multiple encounters per day. A solo threat would take 75-100% of your daily XP budget. So that is 30,000-40,000 XP* per 20th lvl character. So Vecna is a solo threat to 3, maybe 4, 20th level PCs. Of course that is just by the RAW numbers, what is truly a threat varies by party composition, terrain, and how a monster is played.

We can discuss this later, but I disagree (could be wrong...?).

For reference, see Combat Encounter Difficulty and Evaluating Encounter Difficulty (DMG p. 82), right before your table. ;)

FitzTheRuke

Legend

See also: Epic Encounters

It's almost like that whole thing is exceedingly complicated! (I don't think that there's much that can be done about it, either... though I found 4e's 'level-equivalent' monsters to be much, much easier to understand encounter balance than 3e or 5e's CR-systems, and I don't think that is because of 4e's overly balanced balance, either!)

Remove ads