D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Egar's casts Chill Touch as a Ready Action with the trigger that once he Misty Steps (bonus action) to a point he can see Venca it is released.
Point of order: When you cast misty step, you lose concentration on chill touch. See PHB p.193 under Ready.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Point of order: When you cast misty step, you lose concentration on chill touch. See PHB p.193 under Ready.

Wouldn't that only apply if misty step were concentration? Which it isn't.

You only lose concentration from casting a spell if the cast spell requires concentration. And the ready action just makes the held spell concentration.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Wouldn't that only apply if misty step were concentration? Which it isn't.

You only lose concentration from casting a spell if the cast spell requires concentration. And the ready action just makes the held spell concentration.
D'oh! Brainfart on my part. You are correct. Please proceed with your powerful and deadly archlich battle.

RxAKiZy.png

Vecna Multiattacks and uses Rotten Fate on Egar. Who Succeeds with a 29, taking 47 damage. He teleports up to Egar dealing another 9, and stabs him twice with Afterthought, dealing 48 damage thanks to a Crit with the first attack.

Leon's turn unless Egar wants to manipulate anything with portents.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Vecna Multiattacks and uses Rotten Fate on Egar. Who Succeeds with a 29, taking 47 damage. He teleports up to Egar dealing another 9, and stabs him twice with Afterthought, dealing 48 damage thanks to a Crit with the first attack.
Ok, @MonsterEnvy, you MUST explain why Venca is attacking with ADVANTAGE??? You did it before when I don't think you should have. He doesn't have any source for advantage that I can see... In fact, he has DISADVANTAGE due to Chill Touch if he attacks Egar.

Is it because of his multiattack it is rolling twice? And then you are having him multiattack again?? I mean, fortunately with his rolls (using them as disadvantage), he will still end up hitting twice, but the critical hit is voided and it forces him to use a reaction (see below).

Also, what happened to his Globe of Invulnerability? He still has it, doesn't he???

If anything below is inaccurate, please let me know and I'll update the post. Thanks!

For people not viewing the Roll20 game (and that I haven't blocked LOL!), here are the dice rolls:

1. Vecna moves to gain LoS and uses Rotten Fate against Egar, rolling 94 damage. Egar rolls 32 for his save (20 + 9 + 3 paladin bonus) for half damage (47 necrotic). The aura of life from the paladin reduces damage to half, making it just 23 necrotic.
  2. Vecna uses Vile Teleport (bonus action) to teleport to Egar, dealing 9 damage. Vecna does not regain hit points due to Chill Touch.
  3. Vecna uses mulitattack to attack Egar twice, with disadvantage. He rolls a 20 and 5, +13 equals 18, hitting Egar's AC. Egar uses his reaction to cast shield (no slot required). Making the attack miss.
  4. Vecna uses his reaction (2 of 3 remaining) for Dread Counterspell the shield, so his first attack still hits for 16 damage total, reduced by 5 to 11 due to the paladin's aura spell again.
  5. Vecna takes second attack with Afterthought, rolling 5, and 14, +13 equals 18, hitting Egar's AC again, another 20 damage, reduced by 6 to 14, again due to paladin's aura spell.
UDATE/EDIT: Vecna would not have needed to use a reaction to counter shield as he hit even with the shield spell active.

(For the sake of simplicity, I'll say the extra damage from Afterthought on the critical (12 damage extra) equals what Dread Counterspell (3d6 damage) would have done--this way we don't have to adjust Egar's hit points.)

(I have also added 35 hit points back to Egar due to the resistance to necrotic damage provided by aura of life.)

Despite all the damage, Egar hollers to the others, "We've got him where we want him! Grab him boys!!!" :)

Last edited:

1 move in to engage Vecna (see pic)
2 drop shield on the way
3 unarmed attack
a if unarmed hits- bonus action to initiate grapple
1655433272499.png
& 2nd attack: w/ sword, smite (with 5th lvl slot) if hits
b if unarmed misses- repeat unarmed strike & initiate grapple again.
4 move Vecna & myself to position two (closer to the monk)

1655433204257.png

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Nice.

I'll use my portent dice 11 for the unarmed strike, so that makes it a 20 to hit, followed by a 6 for Vecna's attempt to resist the grapple. That way you can be sure to move him and hopefully hit with your sword.

GET HIM AWAY FROM ME!!! (Egar yells)

Remove ads