D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

Stalker0

Legend
I won't play a PC, so you can certainly have "my slot" for a character if you want.

While I understand your point, I think part of having Vecna as a BBEG is also knowing the DM can change things.

This is why I would like to keep the same spell levels (e.g. 1/day: one 6th, one 7th, one 8th), but be able to swap out the spells themselves. So, it is the same statblock, as much as a normal lich is the same statblock if I change the lich's listed spells (because many are subpar).

Also, the lair from the adventure is weak IMO, especially for a villain like Vecna. With a published adventure, you know what to expect (and I'm sure many have read it...), but with a new one you don't go in knowing what to expect.

I think the adding magic items for PCs, for example, is more representative of most games.

Anyway, using the statblock as presented has already shown certain strengths and weaknesses.

I really have no desire to just run the same scenario again, knowing the issues and strengths.
Fair enough.

Maze is a solid single target knockout.
Crown of stars is a great damage augment for more pain.
Mass suggestion could be super nasty

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If we do go 20th level, I'll throw in this guy: Sir Arthur Damless.

ddb.ac/characters/77258905/qRru8O

Sword and Board, champion fighter, aka just run of the mill balanced fighter.
Not that it matters much, but how did you get your ability scores?

By my calculations, you have an extra point from someplace I can't account for... 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough.
Cool, thanks for understanding.

Crown of stars is a great damage augment for more pain.
His bonus action is better used for Vile Teleport in most cases, though, I would think.

That's the thing. I kinda want to know what I'm going to get hit with before I decide if I want to spend the time on making a character. :D
AH, but that's the point of changing things... your PC would most likely not know what to expect. ;)

Stalker0

Legend
Not that it matters much, but how did you get your ability scores?

By my calculations, you have an extra point from someplace I can't account for... 🤷‍♂️

Cool, thanks for understanding.

His bonus action is better used for Vile Teleport in most cases, though, I would think.

AH, but that's the point of changing things... your PC would most likely not know what to expect. ;)
Not sure, I just made him straight from the creator. Regular human so +1 to all stats, point buy, all ability point bumps with no feats.

On vile teleport vs crown of stars, I agree but Vecna doesn’t have any bonus action damage, so if he’s not really hurt it’s a good offensive buff. Might be good in the opening round as his prep spell. Realistically he’s probably not casting a lot of spells anyway, as the rotten fate + afterthought combo is so good. So I guess it’s more a question of the best pregame spell to have on.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Not sure, I just made him straight from the creator. Regular human so +1 to all stats, point buy, all ability point bumps with no feats.
So weird, I did the same thing but only got CHA 12, not 13...

1656545598330.png

Like I said, it doesn't make a difference (same modifier), but you had to get it from someplace... :cautious: ;)

On vile teleport vs crown of stars, I agree but Vecna doesn’t have any bonus action damage
VT does do offensive damage, even if only 3d6, but he can hit as many creatures as he can in that 15 feet range...

I'll look through the spells, but off-hand I can't think of many that beat VT for healing, movement, and damage--even if minor. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads