[VTT] Going Back to VTT Instead of Live Play

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Strange thing happened in the last two months. I was very happy to go back to play face-to-face. I'm the DM but my home is not in a central location. The players don't have cars.

I've decided to travel time of 25 minutes both ways for a 3 hour period is not worth it. Commute in public transit would take even longer.

I would add that since 'winter is coming' parking in dense urban areas can be a nightmare. My friend's apartment, where we play, doesn't have private parking.

We will start playing on line again. I didn't expect that to happen. Just turning on and off the computer and being at home already is a big game changer, pun intended.

Last edited:

SAVeira

Adventurer
I understand what you mean exactly. I am very much in the same boat. The ease of just launching Fantasy Grounds and Zoom, is so much simpler then traveling. Plus, the ability to get straight to bed after a game was a game changer.

Also, with Fantasy Grounds I have no problem presenting maps and mini. Then using Syrinscape, I have added backgrounds music and sound effects.

Heck, the ability for players to join from anywhere has meant few missed games.

Retreater

Legend
Totally understand. Since the start of the pandemic, I've been able to play more regular games than before when we had to schedule traveling to someone's house in another state, finding a time when kids can be watched, everyone is off work on a weekend, etc. Couple that with bringing in new players from across the country (or even out of the country) who are obviously available only on VTT.
Yeah, I just don't see going back to regular in-person gaming ever happening again. It's a bummer in some respects (I have a nice gaming space, miniatures, 3D terrain, etc.), but the pros outweigh the cons.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I started on online game in the first few months of the pandemic with friends who all lived in San Francisco. Since then, two moved to other cities about two and six hours away, and one now splits his time between California and Oregon. Originally I had planned on transitioning us to in person play, but now with two of us having babies since the start of the campaign I think it will be forever online!

General_Tangent

Adventurer
While I miss not being able to play in the same room face to face, using a VTT has been a boon for me. My group has players from different parts of the country and I really don't miss lugging my books to someone else's house to play.

Remove ads