W2a: The Doublemurder Goblins (Manzanita Judging)

Wik

Visitor
This is an adventure for Jerrand Redband, Tor, Semabin, and Jamilee. It was begun on May 20, 2008.

INTRODUCTION:

As I said in the announcement, this is going to be a short adventure, guys, and it's linked thematically to the events in my current Tomas Quinn adventure. It will be a site-based adventure, for the most part, though you can tackle it how you see fit. In other words, you go from point a to point b, but how you do that is up to you.

I don't pull punches as a GM, and it is possible that a PC could die from poor play. Unlikely, but possible. So, yeah, you've all been warned. :)

Expect an update from me about twice a week or so. Sometimes, I get on posting runs where I update every day, but usually, between work, occasional school, and trying to keep my significant other from realizing she could do better than me, LEW can sometimes be neglected. That said, I usually have tuesdays and wednesdays off, and I always post at least once on those days.

As usual, I will be using Invisible Castle for all my rolling, and I expect you to do so as well. I actually do check on posted rolls about half the time, and I get upset if I catch cheaters. Not that I expect anyone to do that; ENWorld folk are usually honest that way.

If you have any problems with the game, rulings, or whatever else, either post them here, or e-mail me at wik666 at hotmail dot com.

All maps posted were made using Dundjinni. I'm still learning the program, so I'm sorry if they're not as pretty as they should be.

Alright, that being said, let's get gaming! I hope you all have fun.


You quickly head out of the Red Dragon Inn, following the trail of the young man. He dashes quickly through alleyways, and has to stop several times to let the dwarf, Gildrim, catch up. Finally, after the third such stop, the dwarf shrugs his shoulders and motions you on. His dwarven legs are doing little more than slowing the rest of you down.

Once you leave him behind, you make much better time, dashing through the little-used backalleys of Orussus. The summer rain is coming down so hard that you can barely see thirty feet ahead of you, and presses down on your shoulders like a weight. Every so often, a bolt of lightning strikes the Orussian Bay, and illuminates the flooded cobblestones and granite buildings for only a brief moment, before plunging back into a watersoaked midnight.

"We're almost there!" the boy screams, to be heard over the screeching gale winds that howl through the tight alleys like wailing banshees.

At one point, Jamilee notices the body of a city guardsman lying propped against one wall, three short arrows sticking out of his neck. The young warrior stares at Jamilee blankly, obviously dead. Knowing there's nothing he can do for the man, Jamilee plunges on.

You emerge upon an open neighbourhood square, built around a decaying stone fountain that is entirely flooded by the torrents of rainwater. An abandoned wagon, tethered to a single dead ox, is perhaps ten feet from the fountain. A man, using a cudgel as a weapon, tries to keep at bay three squat humanoids wearing spiked leather armour. They have vicious short swords and shields, and yap and snarl at him, baring their sharpened canine teeth evilly. Their red eyes glow like those of a cat's in the dark, and their greenish faces are cracked like old leather.

The man is holding his cudgel in one hand, swinging it wildly to keep the brutes away. His other hand is pressed to his side, a short arrow shaft protruding from his chest. Jamilee instantly recognizes the arrow as being similar to one that he saw in the body of the guardsman, only a moment earlier.

You all see then, nearby, a fourth humanoid mounted upon an oversized wolf. This humanoid has a cruel hunting bow, and is already nocking another arrow.

The young man with you screams out "FATHER!", which draws the attention of the goblin archer. He turns to you, as does the worg he is mounted upon. Both have the same feral red eyes. He grins evilly, and the worg howls.

This is going to be a long night.

OOC: Initiative rolls, my friends, and actions for your first round. The three goblins act on initiative count 8, and the mounted goblin on count 15. There will be a map up shortly.

Also, if you want to change your spells memorized, now is the chance to do so.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Still no approved yet

Initiative= 18 link: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1601609/

Jerrand seeing the boys father outnumbered and wounded wastes no time going to his aid.
He quickly raises his shield and mace and barrels towards the nearest creature. "Red-eyed vermin, by the Stone you will not kill anyone this night!", he screams to get the creatures attention.


OOC: Double move action to put me diagonal from closest goblin. Movement 20'
Very cool map where do i get me one?
 
Last edited:

Wik

Visitor
OOC: Jerrand can't run - the barrels mostly block his straight movement. He could do a double move to get as close to the fight as possible (1 square to the north, and then two to the west of the third goblin), by diagonally moving past the barrels.

On a side note, the rain is coming down very hard, limiting visibility. The torrential rains automatically kill lantern light, and reduce spot, listen, and search checks by -4. Also, all ranged attacks are at -4. Any ranged attack against a foe more than 10 feet away grants the target 20% concealment.
 
ooc: wrote all that before the map was up was actually looking up total defense but edit it before your reply let me know if that s ok

ooc: want moves posted like this? moves two squares west , one square northwwwest, four squares west, one square southwest?? thats where i'll be :)
 
Last edited:

Wik

Visitor
OOC: Yeah, movement posted like that would be perfect. And, yeah, you can get there, no problem. As for the map... it's dundjinni. I spent 30 bucks or so getting it, because my PbP maps always SUCK. They look kind of decent using the program... and I'm finding other uses for it, now (it has an adventure editor that is really neat).
 

Wik

Visitor
Gobletchica said:
Initiative: 1d20+4=12 Link http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1601744/
OOC: Ouch! That roll hurt.
IC: Tor's going to try to take out the Orc archer with her shortbow. All else fails, Tor knows Orcish, she can understand what their saying.
Attack:1d4+0 → [3,0] = (3)
Link http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1601753/
Except they're goblins. No orcs present. :)

Tor rolls 1d20+6 with her shortbow. You accidentally rolled damage. Don't worry, if you hit, I'll let you keep the roll. But, remember that the rain makes shooting difficult - you may just miss.

Do you want to move forward before you shoot? Tor could move to the west four squares, putting her at the edge of the courtyard. It would also make her shot easier, since if she doesn't, the goblin has cover from the attack.
 

Wik

Visitor
Oh, and thanks for judging, Manz. I'll e-mail you the doc right now - which one is your e-mail addy? I forget.
 

Robichaud

Visitor
Jamilee takes only a split second to take in the situation, and decide that despite the rain, the warg-riding goblin archer might actually be the bigger threat. Drawing her cutlass, she closes and points at the warg, uttering the harsh syllables of a Cause Fear spell.

Her raven's up in the air, slightly above rooftop level - circling while keeping an eye on surroundings, and trying not to draw attention to itself or get flushed right out of he sky with this torrential rain.

((Ooh, initiative 24. Let's hope the die luck holds. Jamilee moves three squares west, two northwest, and casts Cause Fear on the worg; the save DC is a modest 14, and she passes her arcane spell failure check.

Spell memorization:
Lvl. 0 (3 +1 Nec): Light, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Touch of Fatigue
Lvl. 1 (1 +1 Int, +1 Nec): Shield, Protection from Evil, Cause Fear))
 
Last edited:

Knight Otu

Visitor
(Initiative (1d20 3=13))
Semabin dashes to the man's aid, drawing his scimitars along the way. "Not the guys from up north." he mutters.

(Declare dodge on the goblin to the south (AC 18); move action to move 1 square south-west, 2 squares west along the road, 2 square south-west again, draw scimitars as free action with the move action. If the squares with the rock are difficult terrain, that's a double move, otherwise, I'll attack with a single scimitar; I'll wait with the attack roll until you confirm whether I get one.)
 
Wik said:
Except they're goblins. No orcs present. :)

Tor rolls 1d20+6 with her shortbow. You accidentally rolled damage. Don't worry, if you hit, I'll let you keep the roll. But, remember that the rain makes shooting difficult - you may just miss.

Do you want to move forward before you shoot? Tor could move to the west four squares, putting her at the edge of the courtyard. It would also make her shot easier, since if she doesn't, the goblin has cover from the attack.
OOC: yes and thanks. I forgot the right roll. I'm still used to playing on the board.
 

Wik

Visitor
(OOC: Semabin's action here; the rocks do not count as difficult terrain. For the record, the fountain, the cart, and any square with a barrel are difficult terrain, while the trees act as cover but are otherwise free for movement)

ROUND ONE:

Initiative Order
Jamilee: 24
Jerrand: 18
Mounted Goblin: 15 Bless Effect, +1 attack and saves vs. fear, 10 rounds remaining
Semabin: 13
Tor: 12
Foot Goblins: 8 Bless Effect, +1 attack and saves vs. fear, 9 rounds remaining
#1 (West)- Full HP
#2 (South) - 3 HP Damage
#3 (East) - Full HP


Jamilee draws her cutlass as she moves forward, and hurls forth a bolt of magical terror at the worg while her Raven takes to the sky. Jamilee feels her connection to her familiar severed for only a moment, and it feels as if she has become slightly colder in the already chill summer night.

The goblin takes one look at Jamilee, and instantly realizes that a spell was cast upon it's mount, though it doesn't even blink; the worg's strong will (25) prevents the spell from even causing a shiver to run up the foul creature's furred back.

(OOC: I actually misread your description at first. The worg only has a will of +3... but considering a 20 was rolled, it's purely academic).

In his heavy armour, Jerrand dashes forward, slogging his feet through the slick mud that coats the cobblestones. He quickly raises his shield and mace and barrels towards the nearest creature. "Red-eyed vermin, by the Stone you will not kill anyone this night!" , he screams to get the creatures attention.

The Mounted Goblin grins at Jamilee viciously. Reaching into a leather vest adorned with rodent skulls and feathers, it pulls out a stained sheet of parchment. It reads aloud five sharp, guttural sounds, and the scroll suddenly hisses into flame! It evaporates immediately, though Jamilee has to blink her eyes twice - did the eyes of the goblins reflect that same colour of flame? In any case, they're certainly braver now...

(OOC: Jamilee identifies the spell... the goblin cast Bless)

The worg then snarls at Jamilee and leaps backwards off the wagon, and puts the horde of goblins between it and Jamilee. (moved six square south)

Semabin charges forward in the mud as Tor readies off her shot. The arrow flies past his ear, and he has to duck down as he takes his swing. The poor angle allows the goblin, flanked by the human warrior, a chance to leap out of the way. He curses in goblin, and spits at Semabin.

Tor moves forward, dashing down the cobblestones while she pulls out her bow. She aims with shaky hands, and follows the mounted goblin as he heads left, behind the fountain. She tries to take aim, but can't fire at the fast target until he is already behind a crowd of goblins. She lets loose her arrow...

Hit the Cover; 1= Goblin to the west, 2= South Goblin, 3= East Goblin, 4 = Waggoneer, 5 = Jerrand, 6 = Semabin. (1d6=2)

The arrow fails to hit the mounted goblin, but does find a target in the crowd that was providing him cover. The goblin that Semabin was focusing on dodging takes an arrow in his shield; the arrowhead pierces the metal and bites deep into his left arm. He lets out a feral howl that reverberates off the stone walls nearby.

The first goblin, closest to the mounted goblin, makes a cruel slice with his rusted short sword at the surrounded human. The human, however, ablydodges (9) the goblin's poor attack.

The goblin struck by the arrow glares at Tor, and pulls back from the human waggoneer. As the rain pounds down on his shoulders, the goblin pulls out the shaft with a grimace, and drops his sword as he moves. He pulls back to the alleyway, becoming absorbed by the shadows. Jamilee thinks he sees the goblin pull something out of a cloth bag at his hip, but the elf cannot tell what.

Finally, a goblin closest to Jerrand and Semabin , already forced to dodge Semabin's blow, has a look of pure hatred on his face. He takes a swing (7) that Semabin is easily able to dodge... only enraging the goblin further
 

Attachments

Last edited:
OOC: I just wanted to warn everyone. I will be gone on a family trip all weekend. Don't expect to hear from me between Friday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Sorry to cause any inconvienence. For the life of me I can't remember wether or not attack rolls are 1d6 or not.
IC: Tor aims her shortbow at the rider heading for Jamilee.
 

Wik

Visitor
OOC: No problem, chica. I can always roll for you... I have all your stats with me, anyways.

I'll edit your action in, and I'm assuming you're moving so you can actually get a shot in.
 
ooc: thanks for posting initiative like that kind of hard to go up and down page figuring it out so were waiting for the foot goblins to go and then round 1 is over is that right?? will edit my actions for round two into this post after Jamilee's turn

initiative order link: http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4237019&postcount=13

just an easier way for me to check initiative

Jerrand round two: Jerrand draws back his mace then let's out a loud, "Die VERMIN!!" The mace comes down hard but the crafty goblin blocks the blow with it's shield. Pieces of the wooden circle chip off but it and the goblin are still ready for the fight.

ooc: I'm going to attack a goblin. Either the one right in front of me or if Jamilee kills it (which I think she will) then i take a 5-foot step SW and attack the southern goblin

Rolls= attack 1d20+2=11 and damage 1d8+2=10

link: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1603449/
 
Last edited:

Robichaud

Visitor
Observing the lack of effect from her spell, Jamilee scowls and sputters disappointedly. "..but Venn told me this would grnalways work! Oh, well.."

She consoles herself by heading into the developing melee; drawing her shortsword into her off hand, she slashes at one of the goblins with her cutlass. (Attack 1d20+6=15, damage 1d6+1=5)

(If Semabin hasn't managed to drop the "east" goblin, she moves SW, S, SW, and attacks it. Otherwise, one more step to the west allows her to attack the "west" one.)
 
Wik said:
OOC: No problem, chica. I can always roll for you... I have all your stats with me, anyways.

I'll edit your action in, and I'm assuming you're moving so you can actually get a shot in.
OOC: Thanks and please treat my character as a NPC while I'm gone.
 

Wik

Visitor
OOC: Alright. I'll keep the combat running here, but I'll also post an update on the first page, so I can go back and get the relevant info easily later on.

***

Semabin charges forward in the mud as Tor readies off her shot. The arrow flies past his ear, and he has to duck down as he takes his swing. The poor angle allows the goblin, flanked by the human warrior, a chance to leap out of the way. He curses in goblin, and spits at Semabin.

The first goblin, closest to the mounted goblin, makes a cruel slice with his rusted short sword at the surrounded human. The human, however, ablydodges (9) the goblin's poor attack.

The goblin struck by the arrow glares at Tor, and pulls back from the human waggoneer. As the rain pounds down on his shoulders, the goblin pulls out the shaft with a grimace, and drops his sword as he moves. He pulls back to the alleyway, becoming absorbed by the shadows. Jamilee thinks he sees the goblin pull something out of a cloth bag at his hip, but the elf cannot tell what.

Finally, a goblin closest to Jerrand and Semabin , already forced to dodge Semabin's blow, has a look of pure hatred on his face. He takes a swing (7) that Semabin is easily able to dodge... only enraging the goblin further!
 

Advertisement

Top